Wildcat Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
BTW, I picked up Fox shims and rebuild kits at Kartek. They have spacers too, but were out of stock with the size I needed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been reading through these and the amount of travel really isn't an issue once you get around 15 - 16" if you have the shocks set up correctly. Can Am claiming 24" of travel might be true but you'd have to dig a 5" trough under the machine to use it. Higher travel numbers doesn't mean better handling, ride, etc. Just the fact that the XX doesn't tip the tires (camber) in and out along the travel line is huge. I don't think any normal person could REALLY use a full 18" of travel if the shocks and springs are set up right. As far as the CV, it looks like Speed has added some ability for the axles to travel in and out at both ends so they don't come out. If you are worried about too much angle or the axle coming out, strap it. That is the best thing you can do. Then all you ever have to worry about is making sure the shocks and springs are tuned correctly. You can do some incredibly scary stuff with a full 18" strapped. I wouldn't even worry about it personally. Its mostly marketing.

Have you tried contacting the shock therapy guys? This is their game and I've seen them do amazing things with very limited travel let alone with 18. It's a real eye opener what just correct springs for the type of riding you do will change the feel of the machine completely. You'll think you have 30"...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I do have the shock therapy springs. But I don't believe shock therapy has done much testing with the speed 77 kits. Atleast I couldn't get a straight answer. Someone else on the forum said he was told the ST shock update is limited because they are setup pretty well to begin with. I guess that means just a shim update. I also know they use heavier oil.

I agree that the springs are a huge difference maker.

I also agree about all the lies regarding travel.

I may send my shocks to ST, but I want to tinker with them first.

As far as rear limit straps go, I'll need to see a failure first. There is no binding in the current setup. The true limits were with other clearances.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only other thing I can think of is picking up the Kings from Speed since they are set up specifically for the 72 and 77. Definitely spendy..

Anyway, sounds like you have things under control. Good Luck.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
I looked into the Speed King Shocks. You can actually buy the same shock package out of the King catalog. The big difference is the 3.0 rear shocks. Todd Romano said the 2.5 Fox shocks will fade due to heat with aggressive long runs in rough terrain, like desert races etc. Fox doesn't make a 3.0 for the XX, but I'm not sure I need 3.0 anyway. I'm also not convinced that Kings are better, just setup better for long travel.

I'm in the process of adjusting the Fox shim stacks. I almost have the setup I want.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts