Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd start my own progress thread, for anyone who's really bored... ;)
I didn't want to call it a "build" thread, because I'm not sure how much I'll really be adding. (Check back in the future?)

Brought it home Wednesday, 4/26. Purchased from MLS Powersports in KY with the "No Brainer" discount from Arctic Cat. I had to rent a UHaul trailer for transporting it home. My 2007 Dodge 4x4 with 4.7L V8 ran flawlessly, and showed 13 mpg @ 60mph even with the A/C on. It normally gets 16.5mph highway.

20170426_141112.jpg

Home safe and sound! (The Shadow behind it is for sale.)

20170426_192044.jpg

Starting on "improvements" that I've found on this site. I haven't even had it out for a ride yet and removed part of the interior already! :D
I added Heat Shielding on the center tunnel pieces.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Looking good Ron. Those "No Brainer" deals are pretty darn good. Congrats.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, couldn't pass it up! :)
I was amazed I found a new '16 still in-stock somewhere!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
FINALLY!

I found a great deal on a 2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail and brought it home 2 weeks ago... Finally got it out today to Hidden Springs ATV park in Enon, OH. Had a great time! This little Cat went through almost everything I gave it, and pulled me out of one spot I thought I was really in trouble. I put on 12 miles in 3 hours of riding today, including mud everywhere and water over the floorboards. I'd say it's broken in!

Note this is my first ATV, so I was learning what we can and cannot do. It just kept chugging right along, through the mud and up the steep, rocky hill.

Truck loading worked great!
20170513_095740.jpg

The "After" picture. Note the mud/water line just below the air intake. Almost tipped it over in a deep, watery mud hole! Shifted into Rev/4WD/Locked and with some judicious throttle it pulled itself right out again! :cool:
20170513_120842.jpg

hhmmm... Mom's not sure she wants to go for a ride... I can't imagine why?! LOL
20170513_185125.jpg

Reactions: foxspoiler

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Back out at Hidden Springs again today. We've had a fair amount of rain lately, and an inch of rain last night, too.
The lower field was not a swamp, it was a lake! Lots of mud everywhere, but up on the hillside a lot of the trails were okay. I did almost submerge it once, again (!), but was able to reverse out of it like the last time. I need to add a couple more drain holes, and enlarge a few, too.
Found some new trails across the middle, and generally got a better feel for the place and didn't get lost this time. :)
Also ran in to a group that included two more Wildcat Trails, nice to see more out here.

Really looking forward to running around this place if/when it ever dries up! haha

Reactions: DeanTeck

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally made a 2-hr. trip to Wayne National Forest with the 'Cat! I got a late start, and didn't get to ride as much as I wanted to, but it was a great "scouting trip" and I'll be better prepared for the next trip. I ran the Dorr Run Loop, which is about 12 miles long and took about an hour. It doesn't really "challenge" the abilities of the 'Cat, but its like a 12-mile long motocross track. I had a lot of fun just running along and going, and going, and going... :D

Reminded me of when I ran road course track days in a Miata, but on dirt! Will go back! They have about 70 miles (!) of trails total.

Hauling my SxS UTV in my pickup, I notice I do have a bit of swaying with it, so I take corners carefully. Talking to my buddy about it, he says, "Well, what size rear sway bar is on your truck, maybe it needs a bigger one."
I said, "I dunno, let me go look... Oh, it has NO rear sway bar!"

Apparently the 1/2 ton trucks don't normally come with one. So I do some digging online, I can get a Hellwig swaybar kit for about $250. Cool.
Hhmmm... It also sags about 2-3" with the SxS in it, I wonder what an Air Ride kit costs? About $260!

That will be ordered later this week after payday.

20170513_152434.jpg

Reactions: Sak kitty

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'll be at Wayne this coming weekend with a fairly decent size group. They have groomed the trails a lot over the past few years. When I first started riding there about 10yrs ago it was much more challenging and rutted. The main corridor run has more variety.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good. I have to work weekends, usually... :(

Have Fun! Hopefully I'll be trying out ALL the trails out there. ;)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, since the last report, I loaded the "tow tune" from my Superchips tuner onto the truck, replaced the sagging battery, recharged the air conditioner, and added an Air Lift Ride Control bags to the truck! :cool:
Hauled the Trail down to WNF again today, and it was a great trip! The Air Lift kit gets rid of the sag and helps improve the ride, and driving home in 80* weather while nice and cool in the cab. Had more fun on the trails today, hardly anyone else there. Kind of dry and dusty, but I didn't have to follow anyone. I ran the Dorr Run Loop the other direction this time. Had fun! :)

For the Air Lift kit, I got the 1000lb. kit, and added a "T" fitting so I only have one air valve for both sides. Worked great, pretty easy install except for drilling the holes in the frame.

Reactions: boonedog

·
Registered
2014 Wildcat Trail XT
301 Posts
With T and one air valve, you are allowing the air to move back and forth when the weight shifts (like around corners). You should have a valve to shut the air from transferring from side to side. Just open the valve when filling or letting air out, then close the valve afterwards.

Reactions: Bamacat 12

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You should have a valve to shut the air from transferring from side to side.
Thanks for the suggestion, any recommendations for the part? I'm not that familiar with air line fittings. The air line is labeled "DOT 1913 1/4 inch."

·
Registered
2014 Wildcat Trail XT
301 Posts
Most of those fittings that come in the airbag kits are 1/4 inch air lines and (not sure on the exact name) use a quick push connect fitting. Local hardware stores should be able to help you out.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would just like to say...

I have the next 3 days off! :D Merry Christmas, everyone! :friday:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hoping to take my poor, neglected Cat out this weekend. We haven't had a run for a few months, except for the trip to the shop for the firewall recall. :(
Supposed to be nice weather the rest of this week, so I'll be checking tires, oil, battery, etc. and get it out this weekend... :)

I have started it and let it run for 20-30 minutes a couple of times, at least.

Reactions: boonedog

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
When we had the half ton I added air bags and the on board compressor with gauge, made it very easy to adjust for loaded and unloaded even "on the fly", good luck and enjoy

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I DID get the 'Cat out of the bag (so to speak) yesterday. :)
I took it to the local off-road park, Bud's Hidden Ranch, and had some fun. Got my first good "stuck" in... I had crossed a couple of muddy patches, and went to cross another one, but this one had mud like peanut butter! I have straps with me, and some folks on ATV's came by shortly and one pulled me out with no issues. Then one of their group promptly got stuck in what appeared to be a good spot, too!
Rode around for almost 2 hours, then got my first puncture. Tried my patch kit but it didn't hold well enough, could have been "operator error." It was a round patch, not plugs, I'll get a plug kit and try that. Still on stock tires, and limped it back to the truck okay, so I think a plug or two is all it needs. It's a small puncture in-between two lugs in the middle of the tread.
Also discovered that my air-lift bags on the truck didn't hold all their pressure, either. I'll have to check for leaks there, too.

Side note, when I had my flat, a guy in a Wildcat X gave me a lift back to my truck for my air compressor. WOW! Huge difference over my lil' Trail! He tended to drive like a maniac, though, I was concerned as he was tearing through the trails that he'd either hit a tree, or collide with another rider at an intersection. :( The suspension is pretty impressive, though, the way it rides. I've never tried to run very fast through trails. (Older and "wiser" maybe?)

·
Premium Member
7,879 Posts
hey ron, get a plug kit w/extra plugs along with a small portable 12v air compressor...do you have the oem tires?...if so, get rid of them or you'll be plugging away on flat tires...especially if you get a sidewall cut which plugs have a hard time working in...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I carry super glue with me for those side wall cuts, got me out a jamb once before & defiantly carry a small 12v compressor

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Forgot to update this... Picked up the Slime plug kit. Reamed the hole and shoved a plug in it, glued the heck out of it. It's holding nicely so far, but I haven't had it back out yet.
- Side note, the slot in the plug applicator is nearly non-existent, and kept pulling the plug back out. I had to use a pair of needle-nose pliers to jam the plug in. I'll try widening the slot just a bit and see if that helps on the next one.
Also, I realized I had never checked the spring adjusters since I bought it. Well past the break-in period, so I also turned up the shocks about 1/4" on all 4 corners. That gave me about an extra inch of clearance. Looking forward to the next ride... :cool:

No ride today, I had to change the oil and sharpen the blades on the lawn mower, then use it. Nice day, anyway.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts