Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have to start by saying simply amazing machine!!!

I was supposed to have 2 friends up there with XPs, but due to the 10 degree weather and 4" of snow on Friday night, one backed out. The other XP wouldn't start Saturday to go riding.

I picked up my rear wheels and paddles, and found out my fronts were on back order for 2 more weeks. They are Hiper Dakar 2s 14x10" 5x5 offset. They measure 12.5" on the inside diameter, and they do NOT CLEAR the radius rods. I had to call the shop and fumble around trying to figure what my plan was. They and my brother finally sold me on a 1" wheel spacer, and I finally decided a 1" spacer won't hurt a thing and went with it. Moral of the story, make sure when you buy wheels, you are getting what is tested and works for sure. They only hit at full extension on the beadlock ring barely, but imagine the damage at 60 over whoops and drop offs. Pay attention to what wheels you buy, same for the fronts. Not just any old 14" with any old offset will work.

My bro and I took it for a quick 20 minute lap around the park and through the dunes to see how it worked. I was not overly impressed at first with the speed, and then I found out something was wedged under my gas pedal :pat:. Got the strap out of my floor board, and tried again, found a little better number. With 2 people on frozen sand, 59mph. The STI V-roll paddles are 2" larger than stock, so doing that math to adjust for tire size, that's probably really 63ish. Not bad at all. The amazing part is 0-40 is like the first 20 feet maybe??? It's freaking quick as hell, and the speed on rollout is very deceiving. IT IS FAST, but the relatively quiet throaty low pitch motor makes it sound slow, and the suspension makes it feel slow.

My friend got his XP running this morning and we went out again this afternoon. I was driving very very conservatively (by my standards) because this machine is faster than you realize, and the brakes suck, the sand was frozen, making handling and stopping, and sliding very sketchy. I was all over the trail. I also had way to much tire pressure, but with the frozen sand, it probably didn't matter. Anyway, I was just taking it easy, and every time I slowed down to look back, the XP was 200+ yards behind me. He claimed he could close the gap up slowly when he wanted, but I think that was only because I was braking into to corners or slowing down for drop offs. We were about to go drag race flat ground and up hills, but he had a little issue and we had to call it a day early. I did stop at the bottom of a steep hill with 2 of us in it, with my tires on the slope, romped the throttle in 4 wheel high, and accelerated up the hill. Not just climbed it, but accelerated. Maybe it's clutch, or whatever, but it had no issues climbing and even picking up speed climbing. It is not underpowered, at least not for our dunes here. They are shorter than out west, but very very steep at times and in places and the sand is super fine and very soft. It is motor bogging sand for sure.

A word to the wise:

I am not tooting my own horn, but I am a very seasoned off road driver of 13+ years on buggies, quads, dirt bikes, and now 2 years on UTVs. I drive fast, and crazy, but in control and skilled. I want to warn everyone (even guys with experience) about the Wildcat. It's very very deceiving how fast you are going. Take your machine out, drive it around under 40 for a bit and get a feel for the handling. It rides so smooth, and so quiet, you don't realize how fast you are going and it can bite you. You get busy enjoying the plush ride, and stop paying attention to the speedo and terrain, and end up hitting a drop off or ditch and boom, you are looking at some bad damage and hopefully no personal injury.

Also, it's your machine do what you want, but after this weekend, I will not let anyone drive this machine and I suggest the same for the rest of you. It is too fast, and too expensive to loan out to anyone for their safety and your wallet. The speed and ride comfort and low CG will deceive them. They are likely to crash it. I know first hand how this can happen, no matter how well you drive.

Words to make you wiser #2:

The stock exhaust can works like a catalytic converter. If you ride for 10 minutes, and then get out and look in it, it looks like the sun is inside your muffler can. IT's GLOWING RED HOT ORANGE, OMG MELT ITSELF FREAKING HOT!!! I know it's been mentioned here a couple times, but if there is anything in there, it will catch on fire, and could seriously ruin your day. Take a fire extinguisher, have it close by, make sure it is a good one that works, brand new, tested, approved etc, and keep it very available during break in. I think AC might need to look into this issue before something bad happens to someone.

That being said, I'm pretty sure this can is by design to meet emissions standards, it is chambered to store up heat and burn off unspent fuel and junk so that the tree hugger hippies don't throw shit at us. What that means is: I am pretty sure if you "uncork it" right there with a slip on, and get the proper fuel delivery with a programmer, this motor could really really really wake up further (it doesn't need much).

My overall summary: I am so so so so so so so in love with this machine. It looks amazing out on the dunes, on the trailer, in the garage, etc. It is the best thing since sliced bread IMHO, it's insanely smooth, and plush to ride in. Even if it was 20k compared to the XP, I would still buy it. For ME (not saying this as a general statement), it is the best machine on the market by so many leaps and bounds in every way (except the brakes, they suck worse than, well I don't know anything that sucks like them) that Polaris, Can-am, someone would have to step it way up to compete for my money. This thing makes the XP feel and look like an overpowered golf cart. (sorry RZR guys, just my opinion)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I agree with everything he said. I highly doubt anyone else will drive mine and the brakes do suck, plan ahead.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Good write up, thanks

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
Red i order those hiper dakar 2 for mine. Front 14x8 with a 3x4 offset. Back 14x10 with a 3x6 offset. 3 in. On the outside. Sound like the backs are not going to work. Got any pic of what they were hitting.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sound like the WCD is the way to go. It sounds like my impression of the brakes at the Barstow demo are true, I didn't feel like they worked at all, was hoping that was an issue that AC would address, but I guess not.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi Red: did you have de WCD installed? if so did you ever tried the dunes with out the WCD and is there a big difference??

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Red i order those hiper dakar 2 for mine. Front 14x8 with a 3x4 offset. Back 14x10 with a 3x6 offset. 3 in. On the outside. Sound like the backs are not going to work. Got any pic of what they were hitting.
the will not even come close at 3X6, if Hiper made a 6x4, with 6 outside, it would work fine, but at 5x5 the upper radius rods hit the beadlock ring, I did not take a picture. The fronts will likely not clear either, but my fronts didn't show, so I won't know for 2 weeks. If they don't clear on the front, it will be due to the tie rod end location, and once again, I think spacers will have to be used.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Red: did you have de WCD installed? if so did you ever tried the dunes with out the WCD and is there a big difference??
I have not Loco, I drove the demo with the demo tires, and they were detuned greatly compared to the production. My brother's cat is coming this week, so maybe if we can squeeze some time in it before he does his clutch, we can compare. He was interested in comparing first before he dropped the coins.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with everything he said. I highly doubt anyone else will drive mine and the brakes do suck, plan ahead.
I did not take the time to simply bleed the brakes, it's not impossible that they just didn't bleed them well at AC. It really feels like a system with air in it, the pedal sponges down doing next to nothing, and then locks up and you start sliding. I will bleed them before my next trip.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Great Write Up Red
Now On Brakes Mine Work Real Good Did They Get Broke In Right
I Got Up To 30mpr & Slam The Brakes On 5 Times & They Work Just Fine

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
the will not even come close at 3x6, if hiper made a 6x4, with 6 outside, it would work fine, but at 5x5 the upper radius rods hit the beadlock ring, i did not take a picture. The fronts will likely not clear either, but my fronts didn't show, so i won't know for 2 weeks. If they don't clear on the front, it will be due to the tie rod end location, and once again, i think spacers will have to be used.
i thinkthese might work on the upper radius arm to get the rims on the rear. I was wanting to do this on bottom arms. I guess i can do top arms to. Vehicle Bumper Suspension Automotive exterior Auto part Bicycle fork Suspension part Font Auto part Suspension

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for the write up Red. Our Cats are due in soon, a Waynoka trip will happen soon after break in. Hopefully we will have better weather! Ours will be stock, with stock wheels and tires. We'll let everybody know how it went but it may be some time before we get there.

Dwight

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i thinkthese might work on the upper radius arm to get the rims on the rear. I was wanting to do this on bottom arms. I guess i can do top arms to. View attachment 1344 View attachment 1345
Those look freaking awesome, but they won't fix the issue, it's not the radius rod itself, that hit, it's the mount point where it hits, and I don't think I would grind them down to fit it. If you had a thinner mounting method to the spindle, it would fit, but the big round tube piece through bolted is too thick. I wouldn't sacrifice in this area just for wheel fitment when spacers are an easier option.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Excellent review, Red....to bad the weather sucked. You mentioned that one of the RZR's would not start...was this due to the cold weather and if that is the case, how did the WC start in the cold? Gets very cold here, so this is the reason for my question.....tanks!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Excellent review, Red....to bad the weather sucked. You mentioned that one of the RZR's would not start...was this due to the cold weather and if that is the case, how did the WC start in the cold? Gets very cold here, so this is the reason for my question.....tanks!
Apparently the plugs fouled??? He ran back to the auto parts store Sunday morning, grabbed some plugs, and bam, fired right up. The Cat started great, I would just give it the full 8 seconds of the fuel pump running, then it fired right off, 10 degrees and no issue. Where you are right now though, I'm surprised anything starts. I don't think I would be able to start.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Apparently the plugs fouled??? He ran back to the auto parts store Sunday morning, grabbed some plugs, and bam, fired right up. The Cat started great, I would just give it the full 8 seconds of the fuel pump running, then it fired right off, 10 degrees and no issue. Where you are right now though, I'm surprised anything starts. I don't think I would be able to start.

Tanks for the reply, Red.....I have a bitch of a time getting the Prowler to start when it's cold, but if I can get her to go, we ride when it's -20.....:dunce:....:pat:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts