Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove 4 hours each way and stood in the desert for 3 hours to drive the thing twice for about 5 minutes total and all I can say is IT WAS TOTALLY WORTH IT AND I WOULD DO IT AGAIN!

I raced a quad in the desert for years and now I have a long travel RZR with a Holz big bore and hundreds of hours invested in tuning the suspension and it will not even touch the Wildcat.

I was lucky enough to get a brave Arctic Cat rep with me on one of my rides and he was pushing me to hold it pinned through the roughest part of the course. I braced for a violent impact and a kick of the rear a couple times and it NEVER happened. I was shocked! I'm talking 60mph plus through 2-3 foot whoops and not lifting at all for the 3+ foot hits and G-outs at the road crossings. It would softly hit the bump stops, touch the skid plat just a little bit, kick the front a little, kick the rear a little, flatten out and fly level, land with the throttle still pinned in the next set of whoops, and keep dancing across the top without ever getting out of shape. The rep said he knew the Wildcat could do it and was wanting someone to try it all day. As it turned out, I was REALLY lucky to get that guy because all the others were pretty conservative according to the people I talked to. I hung around long enough to get a second ride and that guy was scared and kinda pissed afterward and I didn't go nearly as hard.

When I first took off in the Wildcat it felt like it was really lacking some power. It kinda felt like it had traction control and wouldn't hardly spin the tires. I ran it in 2wd and 4wd and while 2wd was more fun and smoother at speed, the acceleration and handling was about the same. Once you get above about 30 it really takes off and pulls hard up to about 60. It's like the clutch is coming in too quick and holding the motor back at lower speeds. I think with a little clutch work, this thing will run way better. In low gear, it goes from 0-30 almost instantly! Rev limiter is at 30 in low.

The ergonomics are really good. The power steering is smooth and tight and the steering wheel is in a good spot. The seats are really comfortable but the seat base is slightly crowned. I would rather have it dished a little to hold my ass better but maybe with a little use it will break in and flatten out. The seat belts are just typical crappy seat belts. It really needs harnesses but there is not much room for a bar behind the seats. There is a bar behind the plastic down a little lower but it wouldn't be the best angle for the shoulder straps. The doors are kinda light weight and flimsy but they didn't seem to rattle. They are at a good height for an arm rest and block the wind a little, so I can't complain too much. The throttle is smooth and does not bounce like the RZR throttle. The brakes feel really good but I didn't see an emergency brake. That was one of my pet peeves on the RZR. I guess I'll have to put a line lock on this one too.

The worst part about the weekend was realizing that I now have to wait 4 MONTHS before I can drive my Wildcat!!!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Crawlr,
Thanks for the write up. So you think some clutch work will take care of the 0-30 bog? That is good to hear. Great that you got one tester that wanted you to open it up a little. Can't wait for next weekend. I have to drive 8 hours one way to go for my demo but it will be worth it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I am really looking forward to November 12 at little Sahara. Word is AC is setting up in the campground where I keep my camper which is exciting, but I also heard it might be a demo ride not a demo drive. It doesn't sound like any other event has been that way so far so I hope that it isn't true. It was like 3rd hand info from a tool dealer that knows the mechanics at an Oklahoma dealer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for the input Crawler! Your info backs what everyone else is saying, awesome suspension but could use a little more power! Sounds like the cat is going to be a great machine as power is easy to add!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great info!! thats my probllem with test riding one then have to wait till I get the call that mine is ready for pick up:cool:

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I am really looking forward to November 12 at little Sahara. Word is AC is setting up in the campground where I keep my camper which is exciting, but I also heard it might be a demo ride not a demo drive. It doesn't sound like any other event has been that way so far so I hope that it isn't true. It was like 3rd hand info from a tool dealer that knows the mechanics at an Oklahoma dealer.
we are the dealer in oklahoma that has talked to the tool guy. and yes it will be at dueces wild campground and consumers will be able to drive with a rep in the passenger seat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts