Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dealer just informed me that I should be climbing china wall and comp hill and any other huge dune in the low gear? is this true this is the same dealer that told me I would be fine with 14 staggered paddles extreme !!! so do I climb these dunes in the low gear ?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Good question i would like to know what gear should you do what in ? in the sand what gear on a long run what gear all the basics would be good to know not only for me but my 19 year old son that thinks he knows it all....LMFAO

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
If climbing a steep hill I would suggest low gear. If duning around where you can keep your momentum up I use high only.

·
Administrator
27,674 Posts
OK, this is going to sound harsh, but stop listening to what your dealer is telling you..............he doesn't have a clue. You'll never climb China in low, might not in high either, depends on the tires. Try climbing stuff in low, you'll probably blow a belt, and if you blow a belt at China, that's a long way back to anywhere, IMO. Comp isn't anywhere near a "huge dune", not to mention it's just littered with broken glass everywhere. I don't like going near it.

Have you ever been to Glamis?

Reactions: natdancal

·
Administrator
27,674 Posts
Good question i would like to know what gear should you do what in ? in the sand what gear on a long run what gear all the basics would be good to know not only for me but my 19 year old son that thinks he knows it all....LMFAO
I mostly use 2wd high in most situattions, 4 wd when climbing Olds. It's more of a feel, and how confident you are. Also once again, tires and air pressure are part of the equation. Better to be a little under pressure, than over pressure. The more you go out, the more you will learn. Hope this helps.

Reactions: natdancal

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
you are more likely to blow a belt climbing a big hill in high than you are in low.

·
Administrator
27,674 Posts
you are more likely to blow a belt climbing a big hill in high than you are in low.
Since I remember the last conversation we were involved in.........you've never been to Glamis, you really are not giving good information, and you really don't know. Try climbing China or Olds in low, and you're asking for trouble. I've never blown a belt (knock on wood), and I only use low to load on my trailer, or pull somebody out of being stuck.

4wd high climbing Olds, or China. Why do I know................because I've been there, and done it.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Wow, there is always some arrogant ones on every forum that get that tone when contradicted. The world does not evolve around glamis. I have 500 of my 1000 miles in dunes already this year with no belt issues whatsoever, including 700' dune climbs. I stand by my previous posts in here. I never referenced olds or china or any wall or recreational area. I simply said steep hills should be done in low otherwise high, whether you prefer 4 or 2 wd is up to the driver. From what I have seen and heard, neither olds or china are considered a "steep hill" in my book.

Take or leave my advice original poster, but if you do have 14 paddle skats, go up something steep, bog in high to where your engine rpm is still up but your wheels are not spinning anymore, you are damaging your belt. My advice is to try hills in low first, then if you think you can keep your momentum up try it in high. Whether you want to apply that to olds or china is up to you, just trying to save you some money, and more importantly, the hassle of changing a belt in the dunes.

About this: "you are more likely to blow a belt climbing a big hill in high than you are in low.", well that is just fact thanks to physics and the mechanical advantage difference on the belt.

·
Administrator
27,674 Posts
Wow, there is always some arrogant ones on every forum that get that tone when contradicted. The world does not evolve around glamis. I have 500 of my 1000 miles in dunes already this year with no belt issues whatsoever, including 700' dune climbs. I stand by my previous posts in here. I never referenced olds or china or any wall or recreational area. I simply said steep hills should be done in low otherwise high, whether you prefer 4 or 2 wd is up to the driver. From what I have seen and heard, neither olds or china are considered a "steep hill" in my book.

Take or leave my advice original poster, but if you do have 14 paddle skats, go up something steep, bog in high to where your engine rpm is still up but your wheels are not spinning anymore, you are damaging your belt. My advice is to try hills in low first, then if you think you can keep your momentum up try it in high. Whether you want to apply that to olds or china is up to you, just trying to save you some money, and more importantly, the hassle of changing a belt in the dunes.

About this: "you are more likely to blow a belt climbing a big hill in high than you are in low.", well that is just fact thanks to physics and the mechanical advantage difference on the belt.
Not arrogant at all, but the question was about Glamis, not anywhere else. If you haven't been there, anything you say probably has a chance of being more wrong than right, IMO. The OP has already said his dealer told him Comp was a big dune,it isn't, so he is already getting wrong information.

The internet is full of opinions, and that's about it. You gave him yours, I gave him mine. That's it.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
It is full of opinions and you got upset when mine contradicted yours, so take your own advice, opinions will be different and don't get upset when I dont agree with you, or anyone else for that matter.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
instead of coming at me saying I am wrong and that I have never been there and that I am giving bad information, let the op decide. seriously, take your own advice, opinions will be different, deal with it instead if getting some all bent out of shape like a rear radius arm.

·
Administrator
27,674 Posts
It is full of opinions and you got upset when mine contradicted yours, so take your own advice, opinions will be different and don't get upset when I dont agree with you, or anyone else for that matter.
Didn't get upset, the question was about Glamis. I would rather listen to people that have been to the place, than not. So whatever....................................

·
Administrator
27,674 Posts
instead of coming at me saying I am wrong and that I have never been there and that I am giving bad information, let the op decide. seriously, take your own advice, opinions will be different, deal with it instead if getting some all bent out of shape like a rear radius arm.
I did deal with it, I wouldn't take advice on something if someone had never been there, that's it. Let the OP decide.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I can type more periods than you can since you like them so much................................................................................................................................................

·
Administrator
27,674 Posts
I can type more periods than you can since you like them so much................................................................................................................................................
And I can go to Glamis, and give better advice. Have a good day!

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
BS aside, OP I have not been to glamis so take Hollywood's advice on olds and china. My intent was not to tell you to use low on those hills, even though I probably would the first few times trying them. But if you are trying to climb a big hill and think you might bog down in high, you might want to consider low. That is my personal advice and my opinion and you can take it or leave it. I dont mean to start bickering and derail this thread so this is my last post here. Good luck and have fun with it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks for both of your opinions .. It's all ways good to find out what gear you should be in what ever terrain your in.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
How is this a debate? Sure, 4-low for a dirt mound maybe. Like if you're crawling or otherwise scarred of 15mph+. Any hill climb in the sand will require MOMENTUM. It's the higher speed before the grade that will get you up the hill. I cannot believe this is being discussed. Please fire your dealer or have them join the board to learn something. jeezuz.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts