Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode 2 hours on my new 2018 wildcat. Ride was amazing and ran great. I was very easy on the motor. Got it home and noticed an oil leak on the skid plate. It's wet around the case where the oil fill is. Looks wet above the case and leaking down the front of it. I checked the oil and looks like it might be barely on the stick bur not positive. Going to wash it off and add some oil to make sure I didn't lose a lot. I'll be returning it back to the dealer for service tomorrow.

Some things I noticed:

Seems to turn pretty hard when cruising around 40mph. It has the blackwater tires which seem pretty aggressive. I don't plan on doing mud so I'll swap them out when they are worn down to something for street and sand. It's not really hard I just expected it to be more like a car.

Ride is absolutely amazing. I was shocked running through deep whoops and it sucked them up like nothing! I haven't played with the setup on the elkas but it felt pretty good the way they are setup from the factory.

Motor is torquey but not overly powerful. I feel like it's perfect, I don't have to worry about it getting away from me and it sounds great.

Other than the bummer oil leak I absolutely love everything about it. I debated for a week between the wildcat and havoc. Then a couple days between the two and four seater. I havent ridden the two seater but the four is almost boringly smooth over everything.

I'll update the findings on the oil leak when they get it figured out.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Everything on these is loosefrom the factory. Oil could have blown up from a lower leak. First thing I'd do is check to make sure the oil filter is tight. Wouldn't be the first time.

Reactions: mtgott

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
I have the 18 4x also. Yes the ride is amazing. I had a 13.5 2 seater with an oil leak I bought used...... this was not an uncommon issue in earlier year models from what I have read here on the forum. However the newer 16+ models I have not heard much about oil leaks. Don’t let them smear some rtv over it and call it fixed make sure they fix it right or get u a new motor. Do you have an extended warranty or just the factory warranty? Steering is a known issue on the wildcat for all year models. There are after market upgrades to help with that issue. AJ’s wildcat accessories makes a rebuilt/re-engineered steering box and makes an entirely new slider using no stock parts. That’s the most popular upgrade at the moment and I am running his slider on my 4x that I had on my 13.5. Unfortunately the gear box I had rebuilt stayed on the 13.5 when I traded it. There is a felt pad on the stock slider that wads up and causes things to steer hard ......and with only 35 miles on my new 4x that’s exactly what happened so I put Aj’s slider on it. The stock slider wears quickly and gives folks issues in time as well. The gear box basically falls apart inside and AJ redesigned it to prevent that. Also MLS is supposed to be releasing a new steering system that uses a Saco rack and should do away with the need for a slider gear box combo. So there are options out there but they are not cheap to fix something AC and Textron should have fixed in my opinion. Keep us posted on how they handle your oil leak.

Attachments

Reactions: Hal001 and izom

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
...yeah if its not an easy fix as som. is not tight?! dealer should take care - warranty>?!

and always recomm. thicker oil for summer- jus changed to motorex 10w60...the oem 0w40 is like water....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What size winch should I buy? I don't do mud but if I get high centered or stuck in some sand at some point. I don't need something that's overkill but I just want peace of mind so I don't get stranded.

Dropped off to dealer. Leak looks to me like just the cover on the side of the motor (stator?)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Regarding the oil leak, I have two wildcats, 2013.5 X and a 2015X 4. I have not had an oil leak on either. Nothing loose, everything has been great with both almost. The belt on the 2013.5 lasted 400 miles. At that time it was a bear to change, did not know how. Called D&P in Cedar City about the belt burning so fast, they suggested I change springs in clutch, I did and it worked. Got 1600 miles on that belt. I burned it up being stupid, was in high going up a hill went up against a big rock, did not shift to low, hit the throttle didn't move burned the belt. I have found that if I only start in low then shift to high on the fly, works great, extends the belt life.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking of running Rotella 15-40 that I ran in all my bikes over the years? It's JASO-MA certified and worked well in my dirt bikes which were abused during my 2hr hare scrambles. I ordered a UTV inc winch plate and my buddy has a 3500lb winch I can borrow for the time being.

·
Administrator
27,616 Posts
I was thinking of running Rotella 15-40 that I ran in all my bikes over the years? It's JASO-MA certified and worked well in my dirt bikes which were abused during my 2hr hare scrambles. I ordered a UTV inc winch plate and my buddy has a 3500lb winch I can borrow for the time being.
Rotella works great. As lond as it's the synthetic one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rotella works great. As lond as it's the synthetic one.
Do I need to worry about additives on these? I'm thinking it doesn't matter since it has the open clutches, not clutch packs in the oil like my bikes? If so I'll run the full synthetic Rotella, I've always ran the white (T6?) that's semi-synthetic I believe because its non-additive and certified for use in clutches.

·
Administrator
27,616 Posts
Do I need to worry about additives on these? I'm thinking it doesn't matter since it has the open clutches, not clutch packs in the oil like my bikes? If so I'll run the full synthetic Rotella, I've always ran the white (T6?) that's semi-synthetic I believe because its non-additive and certified for use in clutches.
Yeah I run white Rotella (just oil) in everything. Blue bottle Rotella T6 synthetic in all my SXSs. Thing I like about Rotella is it comes out as gold as it goes in. I change oil after every trip, but I did try other brands, and they came out dark. Went back to Rotella. IMO, great oil.

Reactions: Bamacat 12

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
I agree with hollywood ran t6 in my 13.5 and it did well. Glad nothing major and your getting fixed

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
T-6 has the wet-clutch specs. (run it in mine with no probs) it will do just fine your engine

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! Just got it back and put 40 more miles on with zero issues! Ran great! What are some long lasting tires? Where I'm at I ocassionaly end up on pavement for a couple miles here and there and I'm afraid I'm going to burn through these blackwaters pretty quick. I'm on mostly sandy trails no rock crawling and very little mud. I was thinking some light truck tires when these are worn out? Are the front and back wheels the same width and offset?

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
The front are 9” and the rear 11” wide. I run kanati mongrels on mine a lot of people run them and they hold up well. 10 ply and Dot rated. Good all around tire. They are not great in mud but they get ya through it and the tread cleans out well.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Have you noticed on yours the fuel tank building pressure from fumes. Having that issue with mine. Run fine no issues but a lot of pressure in the tank.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't checked for pressure but will next ride. Power steering is sketchy. Feels very sticky and not very smooth. I don't see the felt thing sticking out anywhere that binds up I guess? It's not completely terrible but doesn't feel like power steering at all when I'm at 40mph and up. Utv winch plate should be here this week and I'm going to run the 3500lb super winch I have first to see if it will even work ok. Likely bring a snatch block with me too just in case. I'm still amazed how this thing takes deep whoops, blows my mind!

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Word to the wise on the utv winch plate if you have any wiring behind the dash to do.....do it before you put the winch mount in blocks access back there. Another thing to do before you do that is jack up the front of your machine and loosen all the bolts on the slider steering box, ect and the u bolt that holds the steering cable. turn the wheels lock to lock a few times and let things move and settle with every thing loosened up. You will see a notch on both the slide and the gear box. make sure they are in align with the steering wheel at center. Mine was off and I adjusted it. Tighten back up an see if this improves the steering for u. My gas cap literally pops off in my hand from the pressure in the tank new fuel vent ordered covered under warranty but don't want to wait for it to be fixed by dealer.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Have you noticed on yours the fuel tank building pressure from fumes. Having that issue with mine. Run fine no issues but a lot of pressure in the tank.
there as a new tread about this somewhre- im afraid the oem valve is not good- or to small even its new...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts