Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2014 WC 1000 Base, the new ball joints fall through the holes. I got them from MLS. I checked the part number, I ordered, they are on the illustrated parts breakdown.

Mfg Product Number: 0405-483
Description: BALLJOINT-ASSY (DOUBLE STAKE) for 2014 Arctic Cat WILDCAT ORANGE

Which ball joints fill the worn out A arms holes?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Download and read the service manual (available from countrycat.com). The ball joints are designed to be installed w/o any special tools, i.e. at the side of the trail, using Loctite retaining compound or similar.

You might also consider using the "Search Community" feature at the top of this screen. This has been covered many times.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the shop said the ball joints fall thru the holes in the A-arm. I went there and it's true the OEM ball joints are not press fit, but they don't fall thru. They spin. I have never seen ball joints spin in place. To install, you use green loktite 609 to pot them in place. I did not know/remember that.

In the 7 years I have been here and have had a Wildcat, I remembered many discussions, but I am old now.

Searching produced a statement that they are "designed to changed on the trail" or something like that. I have never carried any parts or supplies to do that repair with me. Now I will. Unless someone can tell me of an upgrade to those ball joints for later use.

The other upgrades done are AJ's bushings, UTV front gusset plates, shocks. Already finished heavy duty rear update, and AJs front steering rack billet upgrades.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I would suggest you keep a close watch on the new ball joints. They should not be able to "spin" within the splined holder, and retaining compound is not designed to fill gaps so large that they could spin.

I guess my prior post was wasted - you credit the shop with all of the info I provided two days ago!

Reactions: J C Turner

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess my prior post was wasted - you credit the shop with all of the info I provided two days ago!
Do you mean other than following each one of your suggestions? In addition to seeing if there more improvements than comments from 2015-16 and the old Service Guide?

Thanks for you interest!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2014 wildcat x. When I purchased I replaced the ball joints with all balls. They pressed in but not super tight. I used green loctite. I recently broke one and bought all new super atv ball joints. They slipped into the hole all the way to the flange. I could spin the ball joint in the hole. The green loctite says it will fill a gap of 0.07 of an inch. I used the surface prep for loctite and green loctite. Let sit for 24 hours before moving to allow for cure time. I have taken it on several rides and are still tight. The green loctite is designed for press and slip for applications. Like mbrandt1402 said the manual does not say they need to be pressed in. But does say to apply green loctite. There are several forums where people say the hole gets stretched but I think that would be very difficult for that to happen.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 2014 wildcat x. When I purchased I replaced the ball joints with all balls. They pressed in but not super tight. I used green loctite. I recently broke one and bought all new super atv ball joints. They slipped into the hole all the way to the flange. I could spin the ball joint in the hole. The green loctite says it will fill a gap of 0.07 of an inch. I used the surface prep for loctite and green loctite. Let sit for 24 hours before moving to allow for cure time. I have taken it on several rides and are still tight. The green loctite is designed for press and slip for applications. Like mbrandt1402 said the manual does not say they need to be pressed in. But does say to apply green loctite. There are several forums where people say the hole gets stretched but I think that would be very difficult for that to happen.
This is awesome information. I will try to order a set, model getting along in years, suppliers drying up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts