Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I just want to give a nod to the folks at Red Desert Motorsports, here in Washington Utah. They are a class act. I had almost no issues with my XX after I purchased it, because they did such a good job setting it up. I think a lot of the mud on the XX has to do with dealers not going the extra mile.

That being said. I passed my rig off to Red Desert for some more tweaking and we are getting close to the finish line. The XX now has the Speed long travel kit and a Push turbo. I kept the rear storage area, unlike other builds. They mounted a radiator on the cage that also has a oil cooler attached to one of the 3 fan ports. The inter-cooler uses the original radiator. There are 3 new gauges for oil temp, oil pressure and IR belt temp. The shock gusset kit was added, along with the steering rack update. I'm sure that I'm leaving stuff out, but this is the gist.

Also unlike a lot of builds, I didn't opt to do the engine kit. We put cooler plugs in it and added extra engine cooling. I plan on running up to 8 pounds of boost and I think that will be enough for what I want out of it. I'll run high octane as needed.

This unit already had 32's added. It also has a Speed clutch kit and a flash- it ran pretty good just with this setup, but I wanted a little more.

The graphics are also changing to something more simple. All the stock graphics have been removed.

I could post some pics now, but I'm going to wait until I have all the before and after shots.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Looking forward to seeing it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't make us wait. Post what you can now. We'll have questions and you'll be able to help us on or builds. I have always said, this machine is underrated big time. I'm also wanting to keep my bed space with a turbo. Where is the inter cooler going exactly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking forward to seeing video & heading your review of the turbo kit.. I’m thinking about going that way as well..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The inter-cooler radiator component is now the front radiator. Push gives you a small radiator that mounts on the cage, but we didn't use it. The inter-cooler won't generate the same heat as the engine, so cab heat should be a thing of the past. I sourced my own Mishimoto radiator for a Jeep XJ that fits perfect on the cage- this will save you about $500 over buying other products, if you get it from Amazon etc. Please be warned that the plumbing can get a little tricky. I sourced my hoses etc. from Pegasus. I used the smaller inter-cooler hoses from Push and used adapters to to size it up to the 1 1/4 radiator lines. We also took a Derale 15660 oil cooler kit with a filter adapter and temp controller and mounted in the center slot of the 3 fan shroud.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These are just some random pics that I had handy. It is more together than this now.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I love my push turbo set up you will to I am running 10 psi on pump gas with a good tune I am 200 hp to the ground

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I never liked the triple exhaust on the Push setup.
Now that my son is 2yo his favorite show is 'BLAZE'.
For anyone that doesn't know, Blaze is a talking monster truck that deploys a triple exhaust when it goes into 'Blazing Speed'
Now I probably need a Push Turbo to make the kid happy. HAHA
Makes me wonder if the Push guy has young kids and modeled it after that damn truck lol

S1E4_Blazing_Speed_engine_deployed.png

·
Premium Member
7,361 Posts
one of our grandson's favorite shows...i try to be doin' something else when he's watching it...now i'll have to check it out...haaaaa...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not a big fan either. But some really like it. I can also see scraping those tips off, given the right situation.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
20200123_134239.jpg

The rad is mounted, but the oil cooler still needs to be hosed. All the skin is back on too. The bed barely fits due to the larger air box.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We were able to keep the bed heat shield- everything was a tight fit though. The larger air-box is tight too.
20200128_134514.jpg

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
...those rear swingarms are really massive !? ;- () may i ask you bout the red des. rental? you have som. to do with?? see they rent actic cats??

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes. They rent and sell cats. I have no affiliation other than I purchased my XX from them. They also did my upgrades because I don't like to wrench anymore. However, I wouldn't have them work on my unit, if they didn't do good work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
By the way. If anyone else is interested in this radiator setup for relocation, a turbo or oil cooler variant, Red Desert Motorsports would be the one to talk to. This was all 1 off custom. The mounting kit is going to be aesthetically improved over the version in the pics, based on what I heard in conversations. The current version was just a quick fab to get it mounted. We didn't use it, but the radiator has its own oil cooling element as part of the radiator. It may be used later for turbo oil cooling- it depends on current results. Like I said, this could be used for a simple radiator relocation or all the elements that I'm using it for. In my case the piping was tricky, because the original radiator was used for the inter-cooler (credit to Larue). Some of the hard piping was cut away and reused and most everything was resized to some extent, using adapter fittings and hoses.

Some may wonder why I didn't use the HESS kit? I really like their kit, but the turbo complicated things and wanted a cheaper solution. I also really like the Larue stacked oil cooler kit too- the Larue and HESS kit are very clean looking pro builds. I do wonder about the Larue kit with a stacked oil cooler/radiator combo (air flow restriction)? The one shown above only restricts at the center position.

I went down this cooling rabbit hole based on personal experience with the XX. When it is hot here in the summer, I have to slow down to keep the XX from overheating. This is mostly in the dunes. I knew the turbo would make it run even hotter, so I didn't see how I had any choice. The added benefit should be lower cab heat.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts