Wildcat Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I get a lot of people coming over to check out this rig at the gas station. I'm getting offers $$- that says a lot. People really perk up over this setup. I do agree that Textron missed the boat by freezing this XX line. There is something to this trophy truck UTV design that some people really like. Speed sold a lot of units, but that is a drop in the bucket of what could have been. It would have helped the brand and the dealer network.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

I was out on the trails again today. I have close to 500 hundred miles on it, as updated. It has been pounded pretty hard in almost every way, except a race type event. It runs in the normal range with oil, water and belt temps. The highest belt temp I've seen is 160-170, but runs at 110-140 normally. Intake temps run about 10 degrees over ambient, unless pushed, and then drop back to 10 over. I'm still working on the shock setup, but it still rocks with less than an ideal setup.

It will push you back in the seat during acceleration- I'm not talking multiple G's, but you feel it for sure. Short windy runs, heavy on the throttle, will make you wince and smile at the same time. Even long straight line runs feel torque through most of the band.

It isn't setup for high speed runs at the moment, so I have never been past the mid 70's yet, on the dirt. If I air up the tires a bit, I'm sure I can find the top end on asphalt. On hard dirt, it starts to wander a bit, at speed, and feels disconcerting. I'm pretty sure it is the tires.

The Talon R (a friend) was riding with me the last few days. Honda did a pretty good job with it. It was only a week old- it is definitely broken in now. If it was going to break, we would have broke it. It's 20 inch rear suspension had many bottom outs and was pushed really hard laterally. Even if it isn't your cup of tea, you will respect how well it does.

We also played around a bit at competition hill the last few days at Sand Hollow. This rig makes it up, but not as well as I would have thought. The tires start to dig in at the top. I may need to air down to 5 pounds- they are 8 front and 9 rear normally.

So this is my latest update. If something breaks, I will post about it here. So far so good.

Oh. I did break a lower shock bolt two weeks ago.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm always trying to learn more about turbo tech. The small turbo vs large turbo dyno results had me wondering how. So I looked into it. I was under the impression that boost is boost, as long as the altitude and temperature is the same. I know there can be sensor placement issues, back pressure, airflow restrictions, timing and fuel mapping differences. I would have thought, if all else is equal, that an equivalent sensor based pressure would produce the same results, regardless of the size of the turbo. Of course, I would be wrong. You are correct. The difference is in the air volume that the larger turbo produces, which isn't accounted for simply as a measurement of PSI.
Might actually be better if gauges could refer to the total volume of air being pushed instead of psi. Makes things confusing when everyone talks 'boost'. Boost What? Boost and Volume measurement is what is needed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
If you live in a desert area, then 77 is fine. Somewhere where the trails are cut for 64 inches, with trees etc., it would be impossible. Out in the desert, even the narrow trails mostly work out. So no, I prefer the 77 stance because it is better planted.

As far as boost goes, it would be better to have a gauge that reports positive boost over 14.7. It would be less confusing if everyone reported it that way. I don't have that type of gauge.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Oh......I stuck with the Fox shocks, but I'm still in the process of tuning them. It's about 5K+ to move to Kings and I'm not convinced that a shock tune won't close the gap. Although I have heard that a 3.0 shock is required in the rear for desert racing or you will see heat and fade.

The 77 inch stance almost makes you feel over confident because you loose that tippy feel in hard turns (but I have had it up on two wheels in a turn). It is also improves over the 64" XX at flattening out the bumps, which did a good job to begin with. This is probably more of a drive fast setup than a trail machine, but I use it for both.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
View attachment 251180

I was out on the trails again today. I have close to 500 hundred miles on it, as updated. It has been pounded pretty hard in almost every way, except a race type event. It runs in the normal range with oil, water and belt temps. The highest belt temp I've seen is 160-170, but runs at 110-140 normally. Intake temps run about 10 degrees over ambient, unless pushed, and then drop back to 10 over. I'm still working on the shock setup, but it still rocks with less than an ideal setup.

It will push you back in the seat during acceleration- I'm not talking multiple G's, but you feel it for sure. Short windy runs, heavy on the throttle, will make you wince and smile at the same time. Even long straight line runs feel torque through most of the band.

It isn't setup for high speed runs at the moment, so I have never been past the mid 70's yet, on the dirt. If I air up the tires a bit, I'm sure I can find the top end on asphalt. On hard dirt, it starts to wander a bit, at speed, and feels disconcerting. I'm pretty sure it is the tires.

The Talon R (a friend) was riding with me the last few days. Honda did a pretty good job with it. It was only a week old- it is definitely broken in now. If it was going to break, we would have broke it. It's 20 inch rear suspension had many bottom outs and was pushed really hard laterally. Even if it isn't your cup of tea, you will respect how well it does.

We also played around a bit at competition hill the last few days at Sand Hollow. This rig makes it up, but not as well as I would have thought. The tires start to dig in at the top. I may need to air down to 5 pounds- they are 8 front and 9 rear normally.

So this is my latest update. If something breaks, I will post about it here. So far so good.

Oh. I did break a lower shock bolt two weeks ago.
Thanks for updates with Turbo! Were you running those heavy ass off road tires when you played in the sand? Cause if so they totally killed the joy of flying up the hill. Paddle tires are made for a reason, lighter and scooped. The only dirt tire that works fairly well are Maxxix Big Horns aired down. If you dune more often pony up for a set and you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Yes, I'm kind of screwed at Sand Hollow Utah though. This out my back door. It is fully mixed sand and rock. I would tear up sand tires here. It isn't glamis. If I had sand tires, it would be a game changer. However, I will get a set soon. But I'm going to get a toy hauler first. I use to borrow a trailer when I needed it, but the 77 kit changed things. I need something that can handle 2 77 units, as I plan on picking up the Speed UTT 77.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oh......I stuck with the Fox shocks, but I'm still in the process of tuning them. It's about 5K+ to move to Kings and I'm not convinced that a shock tune won't close the gap. Although I have heard that a 3.0 shock is required in the rear for desert racing or you will see heat and fade.

The 77 inch stance almost makes you feel over confident because you loose that tippy feel in hard turns (but I have had it up on two wheels in a turn). It is also improves over the 64" XX at flattening out the bumps, which did a good job to begin with. This is probably more of a drive fast setup than a trail machine, but I use it for both.
Good deal. I just bought myself a 2020 Tracker XTR 1000. $3k cheaper than the Wildcat XX at the dealers. I plan on incorporating a lot of the Speed SXS parts on mine as well. Either 77 or 72 kit, tie rods for sure, just bought their 5 point harness and drooling over the pro-charger. It shows their winch bumper at $1k then I looked at what they do and its pretty awesome. I see why its so expensive. Fun times. Glad Speed is doing what they are and taking all the newer Wildcats and Trackers to the next level for sure. They've all been neglected by the industry a bit.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Congrats on the new rig. I am pretty happy with all the Speed parts that I'm running now, but I would warn against the Pro-charger. The Pro-charger is well built, but most people complained that it was underpowered as shipped. I have seen more than a few for sale from previous owners. If you go the turbo route and you select Push, like I did, don't buy direct from Push. Buy from a Push reseller- Ken, from Push, is a nice helpful guy, but unreliable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That is interesting about the pro charger. I've only seen them on cars and they seem to be about the only thing that give big twin turbos a run for their money nowdays. I appreciate the heads up.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
I've noticed a few ads for used Pro-chargers, and none of them mentioned trying a different pulley ratio to speed up the supercharger. They can't have been that clueless, right?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
No... there is a youtube video of a LaRue tune on one with a larger pully. I think they had 300 HP on the dyno. But I believe that car also ended up as a turbo. I heard that the stock Speed procharger setup is underwhelming.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Hi Hook so how is the Push holding up? I've been bored and reading about the Push turbo company and sounds like many are not happy with their customer support. I know your not a speed demon but how fast have you taken it and hows the system overall holding up....again your the only one posting that runs Push lol.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
I consulted with a lot of smaller manufacturers. From my experience, the small shops with a bright technology guy that lacks customer service skills will struggle until they either bring in a partner for sales and service or develop a dealer network to handle the retail stuff. It sounds like Push fits that description.

I've seen the Push system up close, and it looked like something you would find on a turbo IMSA DPi race car. Really well thought out & beautifully fabricated. Someone suggested it is best to buy a Push system from a local re-seller that you can lean on.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Yes, that is my advise. Do not buy direct from PUSH. For the price, I think PUSH is a good value. There is more work to installing a PUSH than you might think too. If you are like me, you won't hang the intercooler radiator off the cage and that will be more work and money too. The PUSH kit runs oil and water through the turbo, but you will have to tap the engine next to the firewall to run the oil line- there are access issues.

I'm not sure how a high boost PUSH runs though. I suspect they have issues. Most smart designs run two sets of injectors, while PUSH does not.

Now that it is warming up. I'm noticing that my low boost isn't as snappy as was when it was cool out- higher intake temps. But my intercooling and engine cooling is working like a champ though. The engine works really hard with this soft silt sand where I'm at. You can't really run sand tires around here, because of the rock/sand mix. I've been adverse to running beadlocks, so my tire PSI could be lower. I noticed that Hiper has the Zero, 16.4 pound carbon fiber composite, beadlocks on sale and was thinking about getting a set. I'm trying to keep my 32 inch tire/wheel weight as close to stock as possible.

I haven't found the right place to test my top end, but I'm sure it is faster than I want to go. If I had to guess, the top end is right around 100. I have hit 80 and it didn't feel wanting. It isn't sneaky speed that takes a long time to wind up....you feel the charge. My clutch also seems to be set optimally. I can't believe my belt doesn't get hotter than it does with the cover on. I switched to the BadAss belt a while back, but I can't compare it to stock because I didn't have the IR sensor then.

As far as anything breaking goes, all is well. I expect to break an axle before the turbo goes- it is the nature of the beast. I've been pretty lucky with my XX so far and the only big break has been my water pump- I still have a pump piece floating around in my cooling system. It has rattled through my radiator a few times. We installed a filter catch in one of the lines to grab it up.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Thanks for the updates and glad its holding up. I just hope HW or Mike dont see that I am still looking at a Push XX cause i will not hear the end of it. If money was no object i would wait a year let RG work out any kinks and get one of his sxs.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
They should call the new RG car the unicorn...like his trophy truck. On paper, it is a mean machine. However, they have to overcome the economy(China), inevitable flaws, dealer needs (warranty), parts, delivery schedules..... the list goes on. Still, I'm on the fense for dropping a deposit down on the 110 wheel base unit. This is a new enigine too....I just don't see enough time for testing. Speed works really hard at it, but that may not be enough. The smart move is a year 2 buy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If it was me I would install the yamaha sidewinder snowmobile engine into your XX. it is all forged from the factory and good to 285hp on pump gas for 20000 miles. The snowmobile guys have been proving this since 2017. The Speed UTVs sounds amazing but the engine is questionable since its brand new. The Yamaha sled engine is a proven engine made by a very large manufacturer. The XX is a great unit and the only thing it lacks is power and the sidewinder swap is the best option. You can get unlimited HP from it. Over 500HP. and its reliable at lower HP levels. and lots of info on it and tuners and internal and external engine parts available.
Thats what I did.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts