Wildcat Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Extra injectors: If you can make the stock number of high flow injectors idle correctly, IMHO that is the right way to go. All of the fuel will be sprayed where the engine manufacturer intended it. Extra injectors are usually installed in the intake manifold plenum, and getting fuel distribution equal across all cylinders can be tricky. If they are upstream of the intake air temp sensor, the extra fuel needs to be perfectly mixed with the intake air or the sensor can get wet-down with fuel and report too low a temp when the extra injectors are working.

Occasionally there are insurmountable problems and a second set is the best way to do. The X engine, for example, always has idled poorly, and trying to fine-tune idle AFR with big injectors was really tricky. At first, I resisted the MCX solution (two more injectors), simply because it was two more injectors. But as I talked to various kit manufacturers, it became clear that the X worked better with the second set.

I haven't done enough research to even guess if the XX motor needs a second set. I'm just pointing out that adding injectors is not an automatic improvement.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Yes. I actually thought about doing that. I may still do it, if I blow this engine. But I'm not convinced the drive train can handle high hp numbers? It seems like you just keep chasing the next weakest link. My goal was always to reach 150-160 rwhp...or about 200 engine HP. I'm pretty sure the drive train and clutch can handle it. I still need to dyno it, but I think I'm pretty close. Driving it, the only time I think I'd like more power is in the sand.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Yes. I agree. I had read how large injectors run into idle issues and the cure was running 2 injectors. But if idle or low rpm is a non issue.....then less is more, as I say.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
There is a video on the yamaha engine about the development of a bolt on turbo, large boost, and they said engineering required the additional injector and engine work. I can only assume the XX would follow similarly.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
They also said you risk engine damage at about 150 rwhp, based on testing, without engine work.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
FYI, I'm adding PRP seats....front light bar...rear chase lights....and beadlocks. My next purchase will be the Larue stand alone kit, replacing the stock EPU with the Blacks EPU and a new digital dash. In for an inch...in for a mile.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Oh. I put a GoPro 8 on my roof, pointed at the nose of the car. I run it on my console mounted tablet. Now when I hit a dune I can't see over, I look at the tablet. It works perfect. There are a ton of dunes here with a suprise of rocks on the other side. There is no visability on the XX. This is a must have for me.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
I moved our PRP seats from the X to the XX, modifying the X seat bases. We sit a little lower than stock, and I've been looking at forward-facing cameras and a monitor to show where the trail goes after blind crests. The GoPro idea is a good one, though it goes against my goal of having fewer devices to keep charged-up when we are riding.

I've been trying to find out if one of the good GPS nav systems will accept a forward looking camera. All of the info is backup cam. No one seems to have thought we might need to look forward.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I had the shop install just the drivers seat, without PRP rails. It sits too low. I'll try the rails next.

As far as the gopro battery goes, I'm just going to remove the door (snaps off) and drill a hole in the protective case I purchased ($20). I will just run a usb cable to it for power. Of course, I will seal the usb end. So battery swap will not be required. I will also probably put a rear facing camera in doing the same. This also serves a dual role for filming my rides.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Tim,

What did it cost you for the engine and who did you purchase from? I suppose you had to use a custom ecu like blacks etc. and that would mean a new wiring harness too. Are you using stock drivetrain? It sounds like a big project.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I will post again after light bars go on. I'm also adding USB power by the door on the drivers dash and the rear tail light area- this is for dual use gopros.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Oh. The Zero rims are flow-formed aluminum and not carbon fiber composite, like I said originally.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
This offroading stuff isn't for the faint of heart.

Here is what I have in my rig so far.

Speed long travel
Push turbo
Radiator relocate
Zero beed locks
BF Goodrirch km3's...plus others
Street legal kit
Half window
Mirrors
Front and rear cameras- gopro
Center console tablet for front camera/side phone mount for rear camera
PRP seats
Grant harnesses
Speed ecu flash
Speed clutch kit with mods
Shock Therapy springs
Shock updates front and rear
Speed water pump
Alumium roof
Light update front and rear...new head light bulbs.. front light bar....rear chase
Front winch
Front bumper/previous bumber
Side rock guards
Rugged M3 pumper/ Bell helmets
Plus breakdown kit...fire extinguisher...extra fuel canister & mount
Window nets
Hess steering wheel and quick release

My next update is an engine kit, so I can get a little more boost.

So this goes on and on. If I calculated how much it cost me for every hour of driving, I'd feel pretty stupid. So I do my best to ignor these things.

Sometimes there is more intrinsic value than actual value. Ergo, having fun doing something is a value unto itself.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
This offroading stuff isn't for the faint of heart.

Here is what I have in my rig so far.

Speed long travel
Push turbo
Radiator relocate
Zero beed locks
BF Goodrirch km3's...plus others
Street legal kit
Half window
Mirrors
Front and rear cameras- gopro
Center console tablet for front camera/side phone mount for rear camera
PRP seats
Grant harnesses
Speed ecu flash
Speed clutch kit with mods
Shock Therapy springs
Shock updates front and rear
Speed water pump
Alumium roof
Light update front and rear...new head light bulbs.. front light bar....rear chase
Front winch
Front bumper/previous bumber
Side rock guards
Rugged M3 pumper/ Bell helmets
Plus breakdown kit...fire extinguisher...extra fuel canister & mount
Window nets
Hess steering wheel and quick release

My next update is an engine kit, so I can get a little more boost.

So this goes on and on. If I calculated how much it cost me for every hour of driving, I'd feel pretty stupid. So I do my best to ignor these things.

Sometimes there is more intrinsic value than actual value. Ergo, having fun doing something is a value unto itself.
Got a brand new 998T engine for $2200 if you want to go that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
When you say brand new..... is this a new or a rebuilt engine? That seems like a pretty good price.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Ok. I will consider this.... Too bad this wasn't the engine in the XX to begin with.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I really like the 32" BF Goodrich KM3 tires that I put on recently. The 32" AfterShocks I was using don't even compare. It is amazing how much difference the right tires make. My AfterShocks were great on hard pack at speeds up to 45 miles an hour. They were not very good in the sand and terrible at high speed. The KM3's deform more at lower psi, so you need to run higher pressure when when driving hard and fast through rough terrain. But the tires do well on just about every surface I've tried.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts