Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the site. Just picked up a demo 15 sport ltd. I have a idea for a heater. I was thinking of using the oil cooler lines and placing it in series with the line. Then use the fan to control heat out put. Just to be safe I was thinking of putting a cold oil bypass valve. To protect the system and ensure no loss of oil pressure. Thoughts ?!? I cold place it under the console, possibly run a vent to defrost the window???

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
It sounds overly complicated to me, but I like how you think outside the box. Seems there was issues with stock oil line fittings staying secure... Adding more worry is probably not a good idea. I also think you will be waiting a while for any heat vs. a coolant based system tapped in below the thermostat. If this was an air cooled engine with a pressurized oiling system then you would have an idea there. I am not trying to discourage you, if it makes sense to you and you want to try it show us how you did it. I myself am looking at just using a vintage air kit(coolant based) for my ride.

·
Premium Member
7,741 Posts
welcome to the forum apocylip...hope you enjoy your ride...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Welcome to the forum, let us know what u do!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Id avoid adding any more lines or fittings to the oil cooling system on this rig. There has been enough issues in stock form and its a very high pressure system. Hot oil spraying is not a good thing and every fitting you add is potential for that to happen. Id go the coolant heater route, plenty of parts available to make it happen. Look into retrofit components for hotrods, much cheaper than utv specific kits.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Welcome, you made a great choice with the sport limited, as for your heater idea i like the idea of heating the cab just stay away from the oil lines while doing it, go after the cooling system and tap in to that. You will have way better heat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There is plenty of heat that comes into my cab as is. Just add windows. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: de3

·
Registered
407 Posts
I just wear carharts when its cold but it's cool idea. lol

Reactions: de3

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Any idea what psi the cooler system runs at? My thoughts behind it, would be a clean install. Way less lines and more compact. I'll definitly look at the coolant system as well. If and when I run the oil system I'll post pics. Hopefully with good results

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the site. Just picked up a demo 15 sport ltd. I have a idea for a heater. I was thinking of using the oil cooler lines and placing it in series with the line. Then use the fan to control heat out put. Just to be safe I was thinking of putting a cold oil bypass valve. To protect the system and ensure no loss of oil pressure. Thoughts ?!? I cold place it under the console, possibly run a vent to defrost the window???

I think there are pros and cons.

First off, it looks like it would be pretty easy to do with the stock cooler due to it's location. Just cut an opening the same size as the cooler under the dash, add a hinge to the piece that got cut out to make a door and add some sort of cable mechanism to close the door.

However, I think the cons outweigh it.

1. There will be some air leakage even when the door is closed, in the summer you'll still get some hot air which you don't want.

2. All year around you might get dusty air coming in from under the dash, not good.

3. This only works on the passenger side, no heat for the driver.

4. From my measurements, coolant is usually hotter and warms up faster than oil, especially in the winter. That's why cars use coolant instead of oil for their heaters. High end BMWs use electric heaters blowing on your feet, in the seat, and on the steering wheel because in really cold places, when you really need it, it's much faster at heating.

I think the easier way to go is with seat heaters. I bought a set of 4 heating pads (2 per seat) from Amazon for about $50 total and wired them up to a lighted switch on the dash. You can really feel it through your pants and back, even through a jacket. Doesn't require the oil to get hot and no holes to cut or potential issues with dust, etc. You can feel it within less than a minute, within 2 minutes you're nice and toasty.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
It sounds overly complicated to me, but I like how you think outside the box. Seems there was issues with stock oil line fittings staying secure... Adding more worry is probably not a good idea. I also think you will be waiting a while for any heat vs. a coolant based system tapped in below the thermostat. If this was an air cooled engine with a pressurized oiling system then you would have an idea there. I am not trying to discourage you, if it makes sense to you and you want to try it show us how you did it. I myself am looking at just using a vintage air kit(coolant based) for my ride.

Mechanic on the prowler talk forum that I belong to some of the members are using vintage kits,and some are buying factory A/C Set ups on ebay,a set up for the prowler would work.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Mechanic on the prowler talk forum that I belong to some of the members are using vintage kits,and some are buying factory A/C Set ups on ebay,a set up for the prowler would work.
Great.... Another Prowler part for me to buy...lol. Maybe I should have just bought a Prowler... Naw, then I would just adapt wildcat parts to that. I think I liked the vintage air kit for its vents, knobs, and price. Can't remember right now. Either kit would work for me.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
The vintage air kit is the way to go and there are plenty of sizes to chose from. You can fit it under the dash or in the front under the hood if you wanted, you can even get them with windshield defoggers. Hardest part of the whole install is finding the correct size y fitting to splice into the stock lines. For now im going to stick with the heated seats. This ride is light years ahead of what im use to anyway so im not at the point where im worried about a heater.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Welcome to the Wildcat Forums & Family - Surprised nobody has just opened up the center console area and put in some screening - once the engine heats up it will dump into the cabin.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Great.... Another Prowler part for me to buy...lol. Maybe I should have just bought a Prowler... Naw, then I would just adapt wildcat parts to that. I think I liked the vintage air kit for its vents, knobs, and price. Can't remember right now. Either kit would work for me.

LOL Mechanic I rode a prowler for 9 years,great machine,but The sport made me feel 10 years younger......

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
There is plenty of heat that comes into my cab as is. Just add windows. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree I rode the other night below 20 degrees,never got cold.....when I get cold I head to the garage and drink......

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Thanks guys. Any idea what psi the cooler system runs at? My thoughts behind it, would be a clean install. Way less lines and more compact. I'll definitly look at the coolant system as well. If and when I run the oil system I'll post pics. Hopefully with good results
cold oil pressure @ 3000rpm is 95-120psi, cold being room temp according to manual. My garage isnt room temp this time of year so not sure what my oil pressure starts out at.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts