Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Packing for Glamis on Wednesday and got the call from Bass Pro, my green cat was in. Let me start by saying, I have an SU sand car, so it is hard to compare a real trip through the dunes. I picked it up Thursday night and off we went. Arrived around 8 and could not wait to get in it for the break in ride. We went from the canal to Olds via sand Hwy with 2 XP's and 2 RZR 4 seaters. We were pining it down sand hwy throughout the 2 foot whoops, the suspension was awesome, not to mention the seats and LED lights. Running dead even with the 2 XP's. I was really loving the ride. As for power, lacks mid range and top end grunt. The power band feels flat after the bottom end, but when you look at the speed while tracking with an XP, it is actually moving. You just don't get the pin you in the seat feel. I duned it to China Wall day one and back to olds, around 60 miles that day. Remember, it is stock and stock tires at 5.5 LB's of air. The thing buggies throughout the dunes but you need momentum due to wheel spin. Awesome machine to lead all the kids on quads, that is what I got it for. The sand car it wide of a wheel base.

As for comparing to the XP, I jumped in one and took it for a ride. The motor hits harder and feels like it pulls. As for the ride, blows compared to the Cat. Feels top heavy and bucks like crazy in the whoops. We swapped and my buddy said the same. Yes, if you keep your foot in the XP it gets the job done, just not as well with a lot more effort driving it. We dragged them 3 times for 1/4 mile in 2 foot whoops, XP took all 3. The XP get me by 3 car lengths out of the hole then they are even. As for the whoops, I hold a straight line and he is moving left to right bucking. I have a video but blurry (bad camera man). With that said, the XP got it all 3 times.

The first night it was shooting flames out the pipe 8" all night, I was waiting for the plastic to melt. The radiator overflow hose is to short, spits fluid all over motor and suspension when it gets hot (which is ill the time when your foot is in it looking for power). The glove box is cheap, keeps popping open (first trip?). When doors open, they rubbed through the graphics first trip (pisses me off)? The gas gauge is all over the map, one minute 3 bars, the next 5, then back to 2? Makes you think twice when you are at china Wall and dunning at night. The seat belts constantly locking, no biggie, they will be gone shortly.

With all that said, played with the suspension, and it responded nicely. I ended up 4 clicks back form Hard on the rear and 5 click back on the front. Seems to have the best feel. When you plow the front, compressing off a drop or in a high speed bowl bottom, the front is like a sand scoop, send a bucket load over the front right in the face. Needless to say, happened quite a few times. Keep your foot in it and all is good. I cannot say enough about the suspension, seats and lights. Looks like I will be investing in a pipe and clutch once the testing shakes out and I know what to expect. I am hoping for mid out of a pipe with another 10HP, not to mention a clutch that will allow the power to the wheels.

When I dropped it off at my river place tonight, I took it for a spin in the desert. Totally different experience, scared myself on what we call pole line road. The power is there in the dirt, the cat boogies. I pulled 70 across the mountain top, where I could only get 60 on the flats in Glamis.

All said and done, after driving both the Cat and the XP, I take the Cat (and that not because I bought one!). The XT is to short and sits to tall, and it feels like it after driving both. As for power, AC blew it to say the least. They built a great car but cheated themselves with the clutching issues. Give it 12 months, Polaris will follow AC in the low profile long travel design and get it right with the motor to back it.

Keep me posted on pipe testing and clutching, I need help!

FYI, the Cat was a hit at Glamis. I walked away at Olds and the drags, got tired of answering questions.

·
Registered
508 Posts
No doubt popo will answer with something but im almost afraid to see the msrp. Good review, no pics?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wow thank you so much for your full report. I wish AC had the power package figured out. I am sure the XP will have a new suspension ready for the market soon. The WildCat was fun to drive at the demo ride but the power need to be more.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Wow thank you so much for your full report. I wish AC had the power package figured out. I am sure the XP will have a new suspension ready for the market soon. The WildCat was fun to drive at the demo ride but the power need to be more.
Have you driven a production model yet? It kinda has been proven that the demo ride units have nothing on the production machines as far as power goes. I don't think the 2 horsepower to the wheels difference between the Wildcat and an XP means the Wildcat power is not "figured out".

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Thanks for the review...It almost seems like Arctic Cat spent all this time on an awesome chassis, suspension and then ran out of time and threw a driveline in it after the fact! As stated, Polaris will no doubt up the ante with a chassis and suspension...hopefully AC will follow suit with HP and clutching...It's gonna be interesting in the UTV world!! :D

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
No I have not had a chance. So it's a huge difference? Do we know what the WildCat's HP's are?
Airdam clutches dynoed the wc on the same dyno they ran an xp. Wc=62.5 XP=64...close enough as far as I'm concerned. The wildcat just needs some clutch work for certain conditions. For everything but sand it seems to be doing quite well.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Thanks for the writeup!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Airdam clutches dynoed the wc on the same dyno they ran an xp. Wc=62.5 XP=64...close enough as far as I'm concerned. The wildcat just needs some clutch work for certain conditions. For everything but sand it seems to be doing quite well.
Great info thank you. I assume these are stock machine numbers?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts