Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the belt on my wild cat 1000 and now when I start it up it will only run at 4500 to 6000 rpm and will not kick down and idle properly. Does anyone have any clue as to why this would be happening. It ran just fine up until I replaced the belt. Would a wrong belt size cause this issue?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
What clutch is on it? If a team clutch, you possibly put an early 13 wet clutch belt on. The wet clutch belt is a little wider then the team clutch belt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a CV Tech clutch setup i purchased the cat about 5 years ago and thats what the previous owner installed. So if that is the wrong belt, then thats why the engine is running that high RPM at start up?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a CV Tech clutch setup i purchased the cat about 5 years ago and thats what the previous owner installed. So if that is the wrong belt, then thats why the engine is running that high RPM at start up?
The correct belt is a must on these things, check, recheck....
Went to the dealership and it’s definitely the right belt. Im going to try and start it without the belt on. If it idles were it should then its the belt if not then it’s something else maybe a stuck throttle cable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: I started it up and its still running at full tilt, so the belt is not the issue.
Throttle cable seems to be moving freely and not hung up. Electronic?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another update for you all, I have succeeded in finding the issue, it turns out that the Clamp that is between the throttle body and the motor was bad and it wasn’t even attached.
Replaced the clamp and made sure there was nothing else loose.
Started right up and is running the way it should. Im as happy as a pig in shite now!
Just gota put back everything I removed to get to the stupid thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great to hear, always some, now go ride.
I posted another problem after all this, I had a major oil leak from behind the primary cluch after putting it all back together. So now I was looking at Tearing it apart again to replace the seal but fortunately I found the problem. What I didn’t see or hear fall out was a steel raise right in behind the clutch that basically ride’s in that seal . It was only by chance this morning when I found it and wondered if this was the problem? Duh removed the clutch and installed it, and what do you know no more leak.
If only my mother had given birth to someone who lived! 🥴

·
Administrator
28,139 Posts
Welcome JayHawk. If you don't have them, I always recommend harnesses to all members. Harnesses will save your life one day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts