Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first wildcat trail a month ago and love it. This unit was used but no issues. Raced it in a LACC cross country race 2 weeks ago and enjoyed it a lot over my Prowler. Thank you for the add. Reading everything I can on here foe upgrades and known issues.

Found something today while looking it over and wondered if anyone else has had this problem. Dealer said it was the second time for this to happen to this one.

Any info would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I do not have a trail, but that sure looks like notch stress induced fatigue failure. Had a bolt on my rear trailing arm break and it looks very similar. A small crack starts in the root of a thread and progresses with loading and unloading of the part until the cross section is small enough for the part to rupture. In my case, the bolts was probably not tight enough. I plan on using bolts with a longer shank to exclude the threads from the loaded zone, and tighten them to the bolts spec rather than AC's spec to minimize the movement. Not sure what you could do in your case other than possibly a higher grade bolt and make sure everything is tight.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Welcome to the forum rcci01, sorry to hear about your troubles. If anyone is going to come up with any answer to your problem it will be on this site. Slot of knowledge and experience here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Listing from AC for bolts say they are CL10.9 spec. There is an adjustment nutand jam nut there also but not sure what it adjusts.

·
Administrator
27,597 Posts
Welcome rcci01, congrats on your Trail. Sorry about your problem. If it's a month old, it should be under warranty, no? Let us know. Did you have a chance to look into harnesses and a harness bar yet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was used when I got it so no warranty. I have harnesses and upgraded the roll cage last weekend.

·
Administrator
27,597 Posts
It was used when I got it so no warranty. I have harnesses and upgraded the roll cage last weekend.
Yeah but, if the dealer has seen this before, it might be covered by Arctic Cat. Ask him/them Iif they could take a chance and put in a claim.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Listing from AC for bolts say they are CL10.9 spec. There is an adjustment nutand jam nut there also but not sure what it adjusts.
My guess is it adjusts the alignment of the engine and transaxle. Maybe they were out of alignment from the factory and that is why it broke. Hopefully your dealer will fix it right and quickly.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Welcome rcci01 congrats on the trail hate to here about your problem. I hope the dealer will help you on that.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Welcome to the forum,,lots of great info.........

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Hey buddy - glad to see you joined the forums - this issue hasn't come up from my memory on the forums and why you'll get the suggestions to see the dealership on a claim

Steve

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
First ive seen or heard of it. Kind of strange it was the second time on the same machine. Engine and trans are rubber mounted and allow for alot of flex so i cant see it getting that stressed. Best i can tell you at this point is to get new bolts and install, make sure everything is aligned as per the manual. The trans and engine alignment adjustment is how you get the clutch secondary and primary properly aligned from what i understand. Requires a special gauge. I agree a claim through AC is the way to go since its an ungoing problem with that particular machine, depends on how good your dealer is at pushing AC. May also want to take a good look at your motor mounts front and rear to make sure they arent torn. Quickest way to check is pop out the oil filter access panel and while holding your foot on the brake gas the engine while in gear, youll see how much the engine moves. The mounts have a tendency to either fail or get so spongy that there is excessive engine movement. This is easy to remedy with the use of two j-hooks modded to the front motor mounts (post #21 of http://www.wildcatforums.net/forum/wildcat-trail-trail-xt/9909-lets-brainstorm-motor-mounts-2.html) . Basically consists of replace one bolt per mount on the front with a simple jhook to limit how far the engine can flex. Id also take a good look at the frame to make sure nothing is tweaked or cracked and adding stress to the transaxle bolts. Not a common issue and twice cannot be a coincidence, something going on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts