Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen and Ladies,
1st, my thanks for all your posts and insight. Just bought my used 2018 XX (480 miles) from a fairly reliable party (I think), who got the machine from a bank repossession auction. The machine appears to be in good shape. The intermediate owner replaced the battery and ignition switch (guess the bank only had one key). After reading the posts here I have completed the following:
changed the oil and filter (2.9 quarts for what that’s worth), changed the fluid in both front and rear transfer cases (rear case drain magnet/plug was fairly gunked up) and blew out the air filter that looked pretty decent, made sure the cover plate on the rear transfer case (drivers side) was installed correctly so as to not rub on the inner CV boot. I’ve had it out in the neighborhood a few times and through the local ditches and can already tell that I’ll need the updated front sway bar. I’m about to take the machine to Colorado for a few days and was wondering if anyone has some other pre-trip things I should inspect? Been reading about a lot of axle issues but not sure if that’s a real problem or just to much negative press on relatively isolated incidents. Thanks again to everyone for sharing your information, sure has made my initial maintenance efforts less stressful.

·
Administrator
27,697 Posts
Welcome RonenSchnotz. Congrats. First thing, I always recommend harnesses to every member. Harnesses will save your life one day. The rear axles have a tendency to spit grease out, but it's hit or miss.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you have time before going on your trip, check axle alignment that everyone recommends on 18 models. Robby Gordon has a good video on his Speed site that shows you have to check it and make the adjustment.
It sounds like you took care of all the other cautionary stuff. Go have a good time!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have time before going on your trip, check axle alignment that everyone recommends on 18 models. Robby Gordon has a good video on his Speed site that shows you have to check it and make the adjustment.
It sounds like you took care of all the other cautionary stuff. Go have a good time!
DGruper. Thanks for that. I watched that video I think. Checking the plunge with the machine on jacks with the rear wheels at mid travel... maybe horizontal. Will watch it again to be sure. Thanks boss!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome RonenSchnotz. Congrats. First thing, I always recommend harnesses to every member. Harnesses will save your life one day. The rear axles have a tendency to spit grease out, but it's hit or miss.
Harnesses are on the short XMAS list, thanks for the recommendation; and I’ll keep a watchful eye on the axles. Thanks Hollywood!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Rosen Schnotz Where in Colorado might you be going ? I'm from Glenwood Springs. And i have a 18xx and just put 80 miles on yesterday. I'm at about 2300 miles. No problems so far. I will say. Save up for springs. You will need them down the road. I went with shock therapy.

·
Registered
885 Posts
2.9 qts is not enough.
Check again.
Enjoy your 18...as I do.

Check your rear axle plunge at its shortest and longest points- full droop and level. see stickies above.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
... Save up for springs. You will need them down the road. I went with shock therapy.
I have ST springs, and I have to say I'm underwhelmed. My XX is heavy (windshields, roof, spare, winch, etc). I don't think their spring rate adjustments for heavier machines is accurate. I had to double the pre-load at the back in order to get anywhere close to the target ride height. So I would say look around at other spring packages.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rosen Schnotz Where in Colorado might you be going ? I'm from Glenwood Springs. And i have a 18xx and just put 80 miles on yesterday. I'm at about 2300 miles. No problems so far. I will say. Save up for springs. You will need them down the road. I went with shock therapy.
Slymer, headed to northwest Colorado, about 30 miles west of Craig, for an elk hunting trip. Checked the plunge today and all seems good. Thanks for the tip on springs, have not read much about them on the forum so far.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have shock therapy springs and they made a huge difference better handling and way better in whoops and small choppy stuff I recommend getting them big time good luck and have fun

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have ST springs, and I have to say I'm underwhelmed. My XX is heavy (windshields, roof, spare, winch, etc). I don't think their spring rate adjustments for heavier machines is accurate. I had to double the pre-load at the back in order to get anywhere close to the target ride height. So I would say look around at other spring packages.
It sounds like our xx's have about the same things on them, for weight. I would have agreed with you up until Saturday. I started at ST ride heights. I put 350 miles on it. I reset ride height to ST numbers. 15 1/2 front and 15 back. I put 150 miles on the set up. I didn't like how much the shocks banged on extention. And it was a rough ride. I went to 14 3/4 front 14 1/4 in the back. It rides like it never has. The preload numbers that ST gave were way off. But in their defense. It does say it's a baseline. I liked the detail that ST has you go through when you ordered.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Slymer, headed to northwest Colorado, about 30 miles west of Craig, for an elk hunting trip. Checked the plunge today and all seems good. Thanks for the tip on springs, have not read much about them on the forum so far.
You won't be to far from me. I'm not sure where you're from. But don't be surprised with the xx doesn't run as good here. Clutching is WAY off at our elevation. But still a better ride then anything else out there. Good luck. Its been extremely dry here this year. The hunting hasn't been very good for the people I know that have been out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Really? I’ve been eyeballing the ST spring package after adding a spare and rack. Were you able to get the right height eventually?

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
When I was adjusting the ride heights, I had the XX weighted for my passenger and I could slide in and out (220 lbs) w/o changing the ride height by more than 1/4". I could have gotten the other 1/2" if I had wanted to, but I didn't want to run that much preload - the ride already felt jittery on forest service roads with the usual minor imperfections. After reading Slymer's post, I'm going to lower the front ride height.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You won't be to far from me. I'm not sure where you're from. But don't be surprised with the xx doesn't run as good here. Clutching is WAY off at our elevation. But still a better ride then anything else out there. Good luck. Its been extremely dry here this year. The hunting hasn't been very good for the people I know that have been out.
Got the machine out for about 3 hours in the Walden area. Good ride and found the exact spot where me and the old man got a cow moose 22 years ago. Hunting northwest of Craig was tough. Very little elk movement/activity. May try for the December late hunt in 2021.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
News flash: I wasn't driving the XX in the manner the ST springs were selected for when I made that comment. We've just completed three days of riding in the SE Utah desert (beautiful area, great trails) and my opinion on the ST springs has completely changed. They gave me great control with zero bottoming even though I drove extremely aggressively. Since the springs are now working, we can run the shocks on soft. My wife made an unsolicited comment today that the XX now rides better, and she was absolutely right. With the stock springs we had to run the shocks on medium and still had bottoming issues when driving aggressively.

I'm 100% a satisfied Shock Therapy customer!

Reactions: slymer
1 - 16 of 16 Posts