Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to the sxs game. just picked up a 15 wildcat x. love it but i did blow a belt in the first hour. not sure if it was just a bit used up or what. will be installing an alba temp gage this weekend. any sort of tips from any vets reguarding anything from upgrades to riding and habits would be awesome. thanks in advance

·
Registered
436 Posts
What type of terrain will you be riding in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
28,027 Posts
Welcome evorider.
Some tips? Hmmmmm, I've been known to recommend harnesses and a harness bar to new members. Also, I always recommend OEM belts, the best prices can be had at one of our Supporting Vendors, MLS.
Do heat cycles on your new belt. A heat cycle is basically starting out, go up to 1/4 throttle, drive it for about 50 yards or so, back down to 0, back up to 1/2 throttle, repeat, go to 3/4 repeat. Stop, touch the clutch cover, it should be warm. Let it cool completely, then do a few more, about 5. It has to be cool though. If you don't let it cool, you're just wasting time. It should take an hour or two.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new X

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you are interested, we have a Glamis meet coming up next month.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Depends on riding type but low range is biggest saver of belts. You can still do 36 mph some trails/ hill climbs it's mandatory

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Welcome evorider.
Some tips? Hmmmmm, I've been known to recommend harnesses and a harness bar to new members. Also, I always recommend OEM belts, the best prices can be had at one of our Supporting Vendors, MLS.
Do heat cycles on your new belt. A heat cycle is basically starting out, go up to 1/4 throttle, drive it for about 50 yards or so, back down to 0, back up to 1/2 throttle, repeat, go to 3/4 repeat. Stop, touch the clutch cover, it should be warm. Let it cool completely, then do a few more, about 5. It has to be cool though. If you don't let it cool, you're just wasting time. It should take an hour or two.
I will follow that advice as well Hollywood..... Thank you.

Reactions: Hollywood

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Welcome Evorider. I am new to the forum as well and these guys have been EXTREMELY helpful to me in answering my questions and sorting out my issues with my 13.5 WC limited. I'm going through mine top to bottom right now. Really educates you about your machine .....it will tell you stories the previous owner may have left out. Check and change your differential oil....mine was well overdue. Enjoy and congrats!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
sadly i didnt get back on here before i read about the razor back gauge. hopefully the alba will do me justice lol thanks though. as far as riding type it will be mixed trails and mild climbing along with some mud im sure. as of now i have full harnesses which is nice. i also got a dalton clutch kit running 29" tires. i will definitely be breaking in this belt properly once i get the time to do it. thank you for that advice i wasnt quite sure on that process. after i break in the belt i hope to check out the clutch kit and make sure its set properly. the guy that had it before me set it i believe but there is no telling if he did it correctly, not to confident after i had to completely rewire all the accessories this weekend lol #hackjobfromhell

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
WELCOME To The CATHOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember there's never a stupid question, only stupid Answers... And these guys have that category sewn up,,, LOL. But seriously if u have any questions don't be shy i would stake my mortgage on the knowledge the guys in this Forum have!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok guys had an issue this weekend. ran amazing about 2 hrs in the morning. then stopped for a half hr to eat and chill. went back out and would not get anything over 6k on the tach. super consistent to. checked everything from plugs on gps... gas vent tubes being plugged... air box was dry and free of crap. about 2 hrs later i decided to look at the snorkel the previous owner installed. and it had a plugged up super fine screen. took it off and thing ran like a champ. my question is do i need that little "pre filter" since the snorkel runs into the air box anyway?? and my 2nd ? is in regards to belt temp. ran hard for a long time in low and got up to about 180-190.... i backed off and let it cool. wanted to do some fast passes on a few trails so i put it in high almost immediately temps jumped to 200+.....freaked me out so i shut it down for a bit and went back to low. i have an extra clutch cover i plan on messing with and adding a blown air inlet and an extra exhaust. that way if the blower i install ever dies i will still have the non blown inlet and vent. am i correct in assuming the belt isnt getting good air flow partially because of the snorkle kit?

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
ok guys had an issue this weekend. ran amazing about 2 hrs in the morning. then stopped for a half hr to eat and chill. went back out and would not get anything over 6k on the tach. super consistent to. checked everything from plugs on gps... gas vent tubes being plugged... air box was dry and free of crap. about 2 hrs later i decided to look at the snorkel the previous owner installed. and it had a plugged up super fine screen. took it off and thing ran like a champ. my question is do i need that little "pre filter" since the snorkel runs into the air box anyway?? and my 2nd ? is in regards to belt temp. ran hard for a long time in low and got up to about 180-190.... i backed off and let it cool. wanted to do some fast passes on a few trails so i put it in high almost immediately temps jumped to 200+.....freaked me out so i shut it down for a bit and went back to low. i have an extra clutch cover i plan on messing with and adding a blown air inlet and an extra exhaust. that way if the blower i install ever dies i will still have the non blown inlet and vent. am i correct in assuming the belt isnt getting good air flow partially because of the snorkle kit?
You should copy and paste and start a new thread. JMO. If the belt read 200, it was hotter than that by a couple dozen degrees. I would inspect the belt. I'll bet the sides are already melting. A pic of the snorkel setup would probably help us see what's up.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
...would be really bad if u messed up the new belt...again...

biggest question- do you NEED the snorkels?? do you really drive that often in deep water or mud?

if yes - you haveto ad a blower to cool the clutch- nothin wrong to run a prefilter- the trail has one- BUT you have to clean it regulary!!

if you DONT need the snorkels- i would remove as much from the clutch intake and outlet as possible- many people here running without clutchcover- others have drilled holes!!

SEARCH for it on this forum!!

that f...in belt gotta be cooled!! ;-))

·
Registered
987 Posts
In your opinion how would you gauge whether or not you're in the right gear? Belt temp?
I don't have a belt gauge, probably should. In my opinion anytime the belt is not up to operating temp or under high load just use low. If I'm stopping and starting a lot I use low even when on asphalt. I use high for road travel and high speed riding (30+ mph)

Basically I use low unless I wanna go above 30 mph then high until I wanna go below 30 again.

The clutches only work properly when not at full open or full close. They need to be in middle.

Mudding or steep hillclimbs you aren't going over 30 so low range is the ticket.

Low range may save belts but if the butterfly actuation peddle is mashed it puts way more strain on axles, diffs, and bevels than high ever will at any speed. Clutching also increases the load seen by everything down stream of the clutches. Like bevels, diffs, and axles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts