Wildcat Forum banner

101 - 120 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Hmmm, I have 200hp to the wheels, quite a bit more at the crank, yet I ONLY drive in 2wd when in the desert. Weird. Stock axles, 3300 miles on the machine. Something isn't adding up with that story.
Your car does not weigh any where close to a decked out race UTV, nor are you pounding whoops for miles on end at 50-70+mph. I can see where the CVs could get heated up real quick in a race environment. They are no a huge CV on the X3. With that said I would of ran the car until the axles said no more.

Until you have been on a race course it is hard to understand how brutal they get. Especially after the trophy trucks have already gone through. We were on part of the Mint 400 course a few weeks ago. Those whoops are no joke.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I think you are in Kali- correct?
that 23k for most dealers is like 26-27 OTD.
A LOT more coin.
I paid 18600 OTD - registered in Kali.
15k for a beat up year old car is not that much depreciation.
My buddy just bought a used XP1000...has clutch issues already...rolling the dice unless you know where it came from.

What do you think the % of folks buy one of these cars for 20K plus and want an A/M suspension? Probably low single digits.
You do not need that with this car is my point. If you do want it- it is there. There is NOTHING wrong with the fab work on RG's stuff. I would be buying the 1k axles also- dual plunge.
They work awesome in stock trim.
A little tweaking and they work even more awesome.

If I was younger, my brother and I (and a few select friends) would be racing the XX in basic stock form...no doubt. That ship has sailed for me unfortunately.

Let me tell you a little story on the X3 race car my buddy campaigns...Mint 400...he lands on a rock in a G-out at RM 26...Completely destroys the front diff- exploded case...limp to pit A...we take it to BFG pit where they have a grinder set up, we cut off the front axles and run in 2wd...
Now the Can Am rep that was there told us we will blow the rear CV's if we run in 2wd. I SAID, "WHAT" ????? You can't run in 2wd? (car has around 200 hp).
Car is too heavy they say. I say slow down, run lightly up the uphill washes and be a little light footed- keep an extra axle in the car.
My bud listens to the Can AM tech and he parks it after 1 lap (110 miles). (long lap- doesn't want to get stuck way out there)

So as the story goes...we were told we couldn't run the car for extended periods in 2wd...even with heavy duty axles. (Lone Star suspension)
This is a race winning overall Can AM X3.

Now watch the video from Shock Therapy where Justin tells his blown front diff story.

My point is that every car has it's issues. As soon as you start to modify, add weight, leveraged suspension and drivelines, add HP...etc...they become unreliable...you are always chasing something. KISS- Keep it Simple is my mantra.

Do I want the XX to succeed? Hell yeah I do. It's platform is like no other in the industry...precisely why I bought it.
I have a grand total of 20,300 TOTAL into my car - not including a set of paddles and bead locks. Worth every penny so far.

I will get the shocks done some day...as for now, I am adjusting them to my liking in stock form. My brother says he wants the full RG kit with Kings...I laughed and said he wouldn't be any faster or have any more fun with what we ride on. I told him to buy a motorhome with the coin...
When you get your shocks done, you will be wondering why you did not do it sooner. The stock suspension is decent, but holds the car back to the full potential. On my baja trip the guy with the Wildcat XX had killed the skid plates, especially the rear one. This was before he went Dukes of Hazard off the road down 100' feet. After said incident he had a nice size ding in the frame from a rock.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Arctic Cat has been behind the competition for a very very long time.

Now Textron is pushing back and delaying this line even further with no 4 seat or turbo??

Then you complicate branding with Tracker and inconsistent MSRPs?

I hope I'm wrong... but this is a recipe for a sinking ship.

Such a shame ... for most of the off-road community, AC / Textron / Tracker has become completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Your car does not weigh any where close to a decked out race UTV, nor are you pounding whoops for miles on end at 50-70+mph. I can see where the CVs could get heated up real quick in a race environment. They are no a huge CV on the X3. With that said I would of ran the car until the axles said no more.

Until you have been on a race course it is hard to understand how brutal they get. Especially after the trophy trucks have already gone through. We were on part of the Mint 400 course a few weeks ago. Those whoops are no joke.
Ok so I am 100lbs down then, big deal. while I do understand I am not racing, I find it VERY hard to believe the cvs would not make it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
You don't know what caused that failure, you don't even know if that same thing would have happened with 4wd.
You are correct...I do not know "what" caused the failure.
But it happened to the rear cv/hub area. Justin advised he felt the brakes getting spongy some time before that...obvious overheating going on in that area.

So to deduce...

He lost the front diff at RM 60...

Just throwing it out there for everyone to soak up.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Ok so I am 100lbs down then, big deal. while I do understand I am not racing, I find it VERY hard to believe the cvs would not make it.
I think it will be much more than 100lbs. 2200lbs seems on the lighter side for a race UTV. I don't think that number he gave included the weight of the driver and navigator. I would venture a guess most fully decked out desert race UTVs would be in the 2400lb -2500lb range with driver and navigator.

Most of the weight is on the ass end of the race UTVs with the spare tire, tools, jack, etc. Just imagine all that extra weight, high speeds, bumps, whoops, jumps, sand washes, etc... and not all the power going to the rear axles. The rear axles are not going to live for long in a desert race.

Was the weight of your X3 in sand form?

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Could be lots of things back there. Brakes get hot. Bearings low on grease get hot. Doesn't make any sense to come on here assuming you know it all. That is all I am saying.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I think it will be much more than 100lbs. 2200lbs seems on the lighter side for a race UTV. I don't think that number he gave included the weight of the driver and navigator. I would venture a guess most fully decked out desert race UTVs would be in the 2400lb -2500lb range with driver and navigator.

Most of the weight is on the ass end of the race UTVs with the spare tire, tools, jack, etc. Just imagine all that extra weight, high speeds, bumps, whoops, jumps, sand washes, etc... and not all the power going to the rear axles. The rear axles are not going to live for long in a desert race.

Was the weight of your X3 in sand form?
2100lbs is with me in it, full of fuel, and setup for desert. No spare tools or anything.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Having owned rzr and can am x3 I'm very aware of the failures and cures to each. But I'm thankful the aftermarket is capable to build and design upgrades to specific issues and concerns. That is the XX's biggest downfall.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
885 Posts
. Doesn't make any sense to come on here assuming you know it all. That is all I am saying.
When did I say, "I know it all"?

Been racing shit since 1984...I learn something new all the time...and I am HANDS ON prepping everything.

I noticed my right inner rear CV seeping a little around the clamp after my hard 50 miles in 2wd the other day. Probably got it real hot...blew up the boot enough for some grease to seep- not a lot...enough to trap the dirt. I know I will need some axle upgrades some day...no doubt...part of it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Can ams may have axle/cv's in race trim. 25" travel has negative affects on cv's. Lol. Wildcats have had axle issue off the showroom floor at 18" of travel and no racing. Keep in mind that you can buy various axle brands for the x3. How many can you for the wildcat?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Can ams may have axle/cv's in race trim. 25" travel has negative affects on cv's. Lol. Wildcats have had axle issue off the showroom floor at 18" of travel and no racing. Keep in mind that you can buy various axle brands for the x3. How many can you for the wildcat?

Not sure yet. I hope RG does a shorter axle for his new dual plunge. The updated Textron axles/boots looks much better. I am probably going to buy 2 and use my old ones for spares. Everyone breaks axles and CV's at some point.
Bulloch managed to win a race with stockers...a 500 at that. And the no scrub rear setup kicks ass- hands down.
Don't forget to set up those 3 track bars on the X3 correct.
And better get out the laptop for all the limp modes...LOL

Axles will show up soon...I will stick with the stockers for now.

·
Registered
885 Posts
And more for you turbo fanboys...

Seth Quintero (Rzr NA) would have finished 4th in turbo class (18 seconds off the podium) at the UTV World Championships last Sat.
On a short dez course.

Kristin Matlock would have finished 5th in turbo also in her NA Polaris at the SF250/350.

·
Registered
151 Posts
And more for you turbo fanboys...

Seth Quintero (Rzr NA) would have finished 4th in turbo class (18 seconds off the podium) at the UTV World Championships last Sat.
On a short dez course.

Kristin Matlock would have finished 5th in turbo also in her NA Polaris at the SF250/350.
We understand the n/a vs turbo talking points. Lol. You'll try anything to derail the topic of the XX.... where did the dominate suspension of the wildcat XX finish?? Not the rzr as they aren't what you are boasting to be so superior?

101 - 120 of 159 Posts