Wildcat Forum banner

141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
is that seriously the kind of money they are spending on these machines to make them desert racers?
I full blown serious desert race UTV including the purchase of the SXS will be in the 75K plus range. I would hope the one for sale for 112K also includes all the spare parts. I though I ready somewhere a race ready Wildcat XX from Speedcat was 100K, that price included spare parts.

There is a lot work to make them desert race ready. They strip them down to the frame and then remove unwanted tubing and add tubing. Then you have the cost of the suspension, fuel cell and everything else. It adds up quickly.

·
Registered
885 Posts
is that seriously the kind of money they are spending on these machines to make them desert racers?
Tube chassis 4130 with a LOT of one off parts.

They claimed they spent 140k on that car...raced it once...finished 7th at the Mint 400 in the unlimited class. (new driver I think-wife)

And people ask..why can't a 30k XX win races against 75-120k cars?
This new stock class will be the one to watch...in all the series.

The Dakar Speedcats were 4130 one-off chassis (actually 4-off)

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I am no stranger to racing I spent the better part of 12 years pitting for my son-in-law who raced stock cars,IMCA modified,s and then 360 limited sprint cars all of which I help build but this is the point about what they’re spending on these so-called factory racing UTV desert cars. Nobody who is bragging about the brand of UTV that they are riding around in for pleasure can brag about their car manufacturer winning these big races because those cars are nothing but name recognition because there’s nothing factory about them except maybe the motor.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I am no stranger to racing I spent the better part of 12 years pitting for my son-in-law who raced stock cars,IMCA modified,s and then 360 limited sprint cars all of which I help build but this is the point about what they’re spending on these so-called factory racing UTV desert cars. Nobody who is bragging about the brand of UTV that they are riding around in for pleasure can brag about their car manufacturer winning these big races because those cars are nothing but name recognition because there’s nothing factory about them except maybe the motor.
delete

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
My point is none of that technology is on a stock side-by-side you buy at the dealership I understand the high cost of everything that goes into building race cars. my son-in-law spent $50,000 just on the 360 Garrity motor for his sprint car motor.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
is that Garrity or Gearte engine.. not sure if I spelt that right also.but yes, those sprint engines are getting up there..

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
then your a lucky guy to have a son in law that plays with sprint cars. mine plays with video games....haha

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Yeah I hear that, he actually quit racing about 10 years ago because he was spending it all out of his own pocket on an electricians income and my daughter paid the bills.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I full blown serious desert race UTV including the purchase of the SXS will be in the 75K plus range. I would hope the one for sale for 112K also includes all the spare parts. I though I ready somewhere a race ready Wildcat XX from Speedcat was 100K, that price included spare parts.

There is a lot work to make them desert race ready. They strip them down to the frame and then remove unwanted tubing and add tubing. Then you have the cost of the suspension, fuel cell and everything else. It adds up quickly.
$79,900 from speed for a SCORE/BITD legal race car

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
All of that reminds me of the old saying, which I'm sure most of you have heard: The best way to make a million bucks in racing is to start with several million.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Defense contractor wanting access to a well established manufacturing facility, they also own Howe And Howe now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I like the color combo but would go buy it tomorrow if it had a turbo. Still same underpowered SXS for my needs.
You would pay $10 - 14k extra just for a turbo with an inferior cage, suspension, etc? It already has the highest hp rating for a natural motor @140hp and you can turbo or sc it for a couple grand.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Shop has both cars, and I have driven both cars.... nothing compares to the XX suspension and steering. PERIOD. I have also driven the Talon with 32's and it definitely lost a good bit of acceleration.

Nate
Alba Racing
Yep. The Wildcat XX and Tracker XTR have the best suspension, cage and chassis. You have to replace all these on a Polaris, Yamaha or Can-Am to actually race one. Not the XX or XTR. They used REAL chromoly tubing .120 wall everywhere. I've seen a XX roll down a mountain, off a 20' cliff and then be driven away with only a couple little dings in some tubing. Everything was still 100% straight. There isn't even a comparison when you look at the builds. No rear radius rods to bend to crap. Add a turbo and you've already surpassed the others while spending $10-15k less.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I spent the money with Shock Therapy to get the upgraded springs all around and limit straps. Now it handles 3' whoops and everything else I throw at it. It handles better than my buddies full race Polaris. I love my XTR!!! Added 32's, rear clutch spring and 32's w/+2 on both sides +4" total width. It runs great. Holds the rpm's around 9800 now and pulls like crazy. I'm not afraid of the turbo cars except in a straight up drag race.

141 - 159 of 159 Posts