Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont think the rear shock has any rebound adjustment which disappoints me. That adjustment is critical in keeping the rearend from kicking up when jumping. It will be interesting to see how it jumps because I really havent seen any videos of it jumping. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats good news.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I think anyone that's serious about tuning their shocks will want to revalve them themselves.. if Walker Evans shocks are anything like Fox or King, changing the compression/rebound shim stacks is actually pretty simple. Theres alot of info and video about revalving shocks. Plus if you take your shocks off and send them in to W.E. what if they over valve them or go to light...then you have to take them off again and send them in again. As the Wildcat gets out and around there will be all kinds of info available here and other places to help guys with this. If a person plans on doing their own valving they are going to need Nitrogen readily available to recharge their shocks.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Well from the pictures I have seen and after driving one I think the rebound is set pretty good. I didn't get any kick up like you do with the RZR. Even if there isn't an adjustment they have it pretty close.

WildOffroad,
But sending the shocks in to have them modified to have rebound adjustment wouldn't that be a good thing?

·
Registered
60 Posts
After driving one and also watching others jump them, I also agree there are set up very well. I didn't feel or witness any "lawn darting" or "bucking" like I have felt in other SXS's.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
WildOffroad,
But sending the shocks in to have them modified to have rebound adjustment wouldn't that be a good thing?
If they're actually offering to modify the shocks to give a person rebound adjustment similar to the compression adjustment, that would be great. If their simply changing the rebound shim stack...the problem is that the person sending their shocks in will have to be able to communicate what the vehicle is doing and what they want it to do.
It's really a guessing game with alot of trial and error, and as soon as you put some fat guy in your car or add weight,say a spare tire and tools or whatever you've changed the weight which will change the way the vehicle/shocks work.
On my buggy I have Fox coilovers and Bypass shocks, originally they were valved way to light, I kept adding shims to both the compression and rebound until I could control the ride with the external bypass adjustment. One of the tricks I soon discovered was that if a shock is valved correctly or that your getting close is that it should generate heat in the shock body...if a shock never gets warm the shim stack is to light, as the shocks got closer to having the appropriate valving they should get warm and if your driving real hard they'll get hot.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I read that they can be upgraded by Walker Evans to give ADJUSTABLE REBOUND just like the adjustable compression that they come with. Thats what I meant when I said you can send them in. Sorry I wasn't more clear, I assumed that is what we were all talking about was adjustable rebound and did not clarify that. Why would anyone want to send them in just to get a single different setting???????

·
Registered
791 Posts
Well I have Walker Evans shocks on my Jeep and have had good luck with them so far. I hope the ones on the Wildcat will be just as good.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I read it some where else too but here is an example of the verbage I found on the subject reading the past few weeks:

Taming the BEAST we test the new 2012 Arctic Cat Wild Cat | Off Road Press

"Our pre-production unit came with 400 over 400 dual rate coil-overs with a remote piggyback reservoir and compression adjustments. Rebound adjustments where not included in the design, but they are not missed. If owners want to go farther than the adjustable primary and secondary spring rates and the compression, the shocks feature the rebuildable and customized valve selection as the top of the line Walker Evans product line up. A simple phone call to Walker Evans will offer additional tuning options."

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I read that they can be upgraded by Walker Evans to give ADJUSTABLE REBOUND just like the adjustable compression that they come with. Thats what I meant when I said you can send them in. Sorry I wasn't more clear, I assumed that is what we were all talking about was adjustable rebound and did not clarify that. Why would anyone want to send them in just to get a single different setting???????
Having an adjustable rebound would be great, I'm all in for that.
"Upgrading" can be a vague description at times, not in your use of it but the factory's use of it, and that was my point about guys doing they're own "internal" adjustments themselves because you wouldn't want to have to send them in for simple adjustments.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I read it some where else too but here is an example of the verbage I found on the subject reading the past few weeks:

Taming the BEAST we test the new 2012 Arctic Cat Wild Cat | Off Road Press

"Our pre-production unit came with 400 over 400 dual rate coil-overs with a remote piggyback reservoir and compression adjustments. Rebound adjustments where not included in the design, but they are not missed. If owners want to go farther than the adjustable primary and secondary spring rates and the compression, the shocks feature the rebuildable and customized valve selection as the top of the line Walker Evans product line up. A simple phone call to Walker Evans will offer additional tuning options."
"customized valve selection"

I think those are the magic words!!

·
Registered
986 Posts
You may be right, I haven't been able to find all the articles, the net is inundated with Wildcat now it is impossible to find anything anymore.
I'd like to know if that compression adjustment is high or low speed. I have never seen that any where. Guess I'll ask on Saturday. I can hardly wait 4 more days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts