Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw it stated in another thread that the Walker Evans shocks on the WC don't have rebound adjustment. Being fairly ignorant to the black art of suspension tuning, how do you control the pogo sticking of the rear if you dont have a rebound adjustment?

Just askin.........

·
Registered
986 Posts
I saw it stated in another thread that the Walker Evans shocks on the WC don't have rebound adjustment. Being fairly ignorant to the black art of suspension tuning, how do you control the pogo sticking of the rear if you dont have a rebound adjustment?

Just askin.........
Send the shocks to WE for an upgrade :)

My question is, what type of compression adjustor is that, hi speed or low speed????? No one seems to know anywhere, and I forgot to ask AC, and I doubt anyone there would have known to be honest. Anyone else catch that detail anywhere, or maybe if someone hits the last 2 events they could ask??

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well apparetly AC DID go out to Glamis this weekend, and I missed my 2nd chance to drive one. Looks like I'll probably have to do that 8 hr drive to AZ if I'm gunna test drive one...greattt. If I go (most likely) I'll be sure to ask.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts

Just askin.........
Just because there isn't a rebound adjustment, doesn't mean that you are going to have any "pogo sticking" in the rear end. By the time these units hit production, AC and Walker Evans will have these things set up right for 90% of the people out there. Truthfully, most people wouldn't really even notice what most shock adjustments do to their ride. The shocks will be set up fine from the factory. Adjustments are for small fine tuning. I think the only real adjustment is the compression on these shocks. Probably high speed to compensate for those who dune and race at higher speeds.........

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Just because there isn't a rebound adjustment, doesn't mean that you are going to have any "pogo sticking" in the rear end. By the time these units hit production, AC and Walker Evans will have these things set up right for 90% of the people out there. Truthfully, most people wouldn't really even notice what most shock adjustments do to their ride. The shocks will be set up fine from the factory. Adjustments are for small fine tuning. I think the only real adjustment is the compression on these shocks. Probably high speed to compensate for those who dune and race at higher speeds.........

I'd have to agree with this, the only problem for some might be if they add weight with accessories or cage and spare tire, etc. With these guy's weighing in at about 1300 sum odd lbs, an additional 100 lbs could have an effect on the shock tuning. To answer the Op...rebound is adjustable with internal valve changes (shim stack) which requires the shocks to come apart.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I mostly dune with my quads, and I see most (asuming stock) SxS doin the pogo over the whoops, both on the trails, and the ones at the base of most of the bigger hills. Like I said up front, I'm no suspension expert, but have figured out enough to get my quads so I can hit the whoops....almost pinned. It took some adjusting on high speed comp, and slowing the rebound a bunch. Just my personal experience...I aint no expert by any means.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I mostly dune with my quads, and I see most (asuming stock) SxS doin the pogo over the whoops, both on the trails, and the ones at the base of most of the bigger hills. Like I said up front, I'm no suspension expert, but have figured out enough to get my quads so I can hit the whoops....almost pinned. It took some adjusting on high speed comp, and slowing the rebound a bunch. Just my personal experience...I aint no expert by any means.
I think there are actually very few "experts" in shock tuning, but it sounds like you've got a good handle on the concept. Alot of guy's will crank up the compression and/or preload on the springs to handle the big bumps but do nothing on the rebound side which means all this stored energy (springs) don't have anything slowing down the spring rebound, which creates to pogo effect. I find suspension kind of fascinating and love playing with it!!! :cool:

·
Registered
986 Posts
My little RZR s doesn't "pogo stick" in whoops (unless you drive like a granny), the RZR XP however will pogo stick and get nasty out of control when slowing down in whoops. This behavior is from too slow of a rebound causing the shocks to pack, and when you slow down they unpack causing the "pogo stick" effect. I am sure for my small group of faster driving friends, the stock setup will not be sufficient, but will work for a bit. Hopefully WE can hook me up with a dual compression and rebound adjustment as well as some stiffer valving and springs to suit my style. Fox offers these upgrades for the RZR shocks. Guess we will see, WE is new to me, but seem to have a good reputation.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Yeah, a lot of the key to going smoothly through the whoops is speed. Rhino's and the like cant carry the speed, let alone have the travel to soak up the whoops. From what I have seen of the Wildcat videos, it will be better the faster you go through them. Thats why quads are so much easier to dial in. You can skip across the tops and use your body to lighten the front end of the bike. Thats not possible in a UTV...............

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm also a bit dissapointed there isn't any rebound adjustment. However, I will say that the ride over the entrance road at Little Sahara (Waynoka OK) at 50+ mph was without any sign of the pogo effect. This was with two people aboard. Since I'm out of the racing phase of my life:) I can probably adjust to the no rebound.

Dwight

·
Registered
986 Posts
Yeah I tried to explain to my wife that she was selling her rzr for a more comfortable riding safer machine ;)If you go slow to moderate speed, this rides like a dream, especially compared to my Rzr, but at 55-65 in tight trials which drop offs, g outs, and off camber whoops in trail transitions, I'm sure it's going to bottom for me, but with 18" to work with, I bet I can get it worked out. The Rzr S just doesn't have that potential. Did I mention I can't wait ????.!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The WildCat has the same shocks I currently run on my SR1 - if you need them to be revalved, I'm sure Walker Evans and several aftermarket companies will be able to valve them for you according to your total ride weight and riding style. We valve our own WERs now, and they have performed really well. Great shocks.....just hard for an OEM to valve any shock for the general public and make them fit everyone's needs. Once you get the rebound right, the clickers make it easy to adjust for one or two people weight differences, etc.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From my point of view, as a consumer, if BRP can put a set of fully adjustable shocks ( Fox Racing Shox HGP C47 piggyback shocks with duel-level speed compression, rebound and threaded preload adjustments) on thier Commander 1000, why couldn't AC do the same, or WE have built the shocks with rebound adj ?

The stock shocks on my Kawie 450 are fully adjustable, and after a re-valve from RG3, their as good as most and better than some of the aftermarket shocks. I'm not trying to compare Fox or anybody else's shocks to WE, and I sure as he!! don't know enough about suspension to try. It just seems that the technology is readily available, and it would have been a nice feature.

I'm just sayin..........:)

·
Registered
412 Posts
They considered it, then decided not to. Reality is this is the best stock suspension in the industry WITHOUT rebound adjust. 90% of the riding public can't or wont use the compression adjust let alone rebound adjust.

·
Registered
986 Posts
They considered it, then decided not to. Reality is this is the best stock suspension in the industry WITHOUT rebound adjust. 90% of the riding public can't or wont use the compression adjust let alone rebound adjust.
True for sure and not economical for production (check out KTM) but I sure would like a hi speed as I'm almost sure this is low speed which is fairly worthless. I can live without rebound adjust.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
True for sure and not economical for production (check out KTM) but I sure would like a hi speed as I'm almost sure this is low speed which is fairly worthless. I can live without rebound adjust.
I respectfully disagree with you and Redman. Most people I know, do preffer to adjust thier rides to be both better handling, and have a more comfortable ride, and have figured out how to use their equipment. Most of us that ride are by nature tinkerers. As far as too cost prohibitive to have a shock with more adjustability built into it...I don't buy that. It doesn't seem to hurt the price of a Commander 1000 X. If AC engineers were to ask, I'm sure 90% of us would not mind an extra $500-600 (thats the cost difference between a Commander X and XT) for that upgrade. Funny how in the video posted from AZ demo ride, every one of those WC's look like they could use a rebound adjustment (JMO). Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to compare the WC to the Canned Ham, just stating my opinion that it's a viable option that I think they should have incorporated into the WC. Maybe on the 2013 model...

·
Registered
412 Posts
I respectfully disagree with you and Redman. Most people I know, do preffer to adjust thier rides to be both better handling, and have a more comfortable ride, and have figured out how to use their equipment. Most of us that ride are by nature tinkerers. As far as too cost prohibitive to have a shock with more adjustability built into it...I don't buy that. It doesn't seem to hurt the price of a Commander 1000 X. If AC engineers were to ask, I'm sure 90% of us would not mind an extra $500-600 (thats the cost difference between a Commander X and XT) for that upgrade. Funny how in the video posted from AZ demo ride, every one of those WC's look like they could use a rebound adjustment (JMO). Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to compare the WC to the Canned Ham, just stating my opinion that it's a viable option that I think they should have incorporated into the WC. Maybe on the 2013 model...
Well I guess this leaves them room to introduce a Wildact XT then doesn't it.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I agree that a fully adjustable shock would be nice. But I feel like AC has done all the research to make these shocks good right out of the package. You can adjust your Commander shocks from now until next Tuesday and you are still never going to get a ride even in same ballpark as the Wildcat. Any manufacturer can throw together a UTV suspension, see who gives them the best discount on fully adjustable shocks, and then slap them on. There you go.......your fully adjustable suspension. I would rather have one where each shock is valved for the particular vehicle it is in. Plenty of racers don't run fully adjustable shocks. They have them valved correctly and then go with it. The other thing I have seen, are those Fox and other small rezzi shocks overheating on UTVs and not performing correctly anyways. Most of those shocks are fine for ATVs, but UTVs really need a much bigger reservoir which means more $$. And when you are already the most expensive UTV out there, more money will just plain get rid of most ordinary buyers...............

1 - 20 of 40 Posts