Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got this off the RZR forum and thought I would share. Around the 4 min mark is when it gets interesting. The 4 point harness doesn't work if you don't wear it properly and I am Really Really amazed at how poorly the RZR cage held up to this roll over. From what I have heard & seen so far the Wildcat cage is a LOT better design.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are the comments from the driver of the RZR.
I'm happy to see that our video has brought up more discussion about stock RZR flimsy cages. I never thought to post the video here as I have not visited the Forums in quite some time. To make a long story short, when I first got the RZR I was very disappointed with the thickness on the tube wall as well as the construction and attachment points of the stock cage. I realized that a company has to make a profit so they are going to cut corners everywhere possible when building a product and even a potentially deadly product like ATVs. It's just the way it is. After a small 3 mph sideways rollover, they rear hoop was severely crushed both downward and backwards. I then decided without a doubt I would get a REAL cage made. I talked with the guys at Racer Tech - High Performance UTV Parts for Racers and Hard-core Enthusiast and came up with a design that suited the riding we planned on doing. In the meantime I decided to install some belt harnesses that I had from a previous off road project on the RZR to get by just in case I wanted to take the RZR out " one more time" before tearing it down for the cage build. These belt harnesses were way to long for the RZR install and couldn't be modified but I figured that they would still be much better than the stock belts. I also had steering wheel hand straps (to keep your hands and arms inside the cage) but didn't want to mess with installing them temporarily ( almost a huge mistake!). I should know better about keeping your limbs inside of a cage during a crash because in a sand buggy I crushed my left arm when it came outside the cage after a bad landing and sideways roll over. I have mostly metal parts holding my arm together now! The first thing I noticed when watching the video was the fact that I reached up to try and break the fall of my head hitting the ground, stupid yes but I think it is most peoples instinct. I knew better yet I still did it, can't really explain it. Everyone I know that rides sand buggys has those steering wheel straps and that's why, so you don't have to "think" about keeping inside the cage. Well, needless to say we decided to take the RZR out one more time on a trip to AK. I swore to my wife that I would be safe and make no big jumps. Here's where the common misconception about these side by sides come in. Most people think they are safe and most people think that bad wrecks only happen at high speeds. Both are wrong. This was a small kicker on an open trail hit at under 30 mph. Both of us have gashes in our helmets from the cage crushing downward. Luckily both our heads went out to the outside. If not, both of our necks would have been crushed straight down and we would be paralyzed at best. The thing that scares me most is people like my brother-in-law who has a shiny new RZR Sport and thinks it's built like a tank. He rides around crazily in it with my nephews barely belted in. I showed him the video and he STILL thinks it won't happen to him. I've been riding offroad for more than 25 years and have seen everything and these side by sides are the most dangerous things to hit the market since the silly 3 wheelers. Most people are also not informed as the folks here on the Forums. We wouldn't be here talking if we were not worried about safety. Get the word out and next time you see some idiots on the trail hot doggin around with no helmets or safety gear try to talk some sense into them. Just as the white sticker slapped on the RZR dash says. Something to the effect that the Roll cage is for cosmetic purposes only and is not for roll over protection. I always used to laugh at those stickers...not anymore.
ps. 5-way harnesses are absolutely the BEST way to go

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Redman,
Yes I know it is very scary that most UTV drivers don't wear a helmet. I have read some pretty scary reports of people in near misses with their SXS. The fact that they don't wear a helemt just amazes me and that more people have not been hurt yet either.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Bad wreck.....cage is not very well built ....they are lucky indeed !!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
i think i will start wearing my helmet.

·
Registered
986 Posts
HMM, so yeah, everyone that rides with me gets a training course, it goes like this "hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times, no matter what, don't let go of the grab bar, you can't stop this thing from rolling if it starts". That guy got lucky as hell he didn't lose a limb there. Also, I appreciate this video, as it makes me see the need for helmets (yes, I have known it exists for SXSs too). I won't get on my quad without full gear: Leatt brace, helmet, boots, chest protector, thick riding pants, etc. I have considered using more safety gear in the RZR, but the helmet really beats the shit out of you when trail riding fast in bumpy stuff, there is no excuse really I know. I'm thinking Wildcats running 65+ in sand, might be time for more gear driving.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I too have never worn a helmet in any of my UTVs. I do however know how to put on the lap belt of my harnesses. Those guys had the lap belts halfway up their stomach. You are never gonna keep your butt planted in the seat like that. I went up a slope that was too steep in my first Prowler and turned it over backwards and onto its roof. There were 3 of us in there all with 4 point harnesses and no heads hit cage or ground. Hopefully the Wildcat cage is a strong as that aftermarket cage was..................

P.S. Pretty much every RZR that I know does a nose dive over jumps. That guy definitely should have known that!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
HMM, so yeah, everyone that rides with me gets a training course, it goes like this "hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times, no matter what, don't let go of the grab bar, you can't stop this thing from rolling if it starts". That guy got lucky as hell he didn't lose a limb there. Also, I appreciate this video, as it makes me see the need for helmets (yes, I have known it exists for SXSs too). I won't get on my quad without full gear: Leatt brace, helmet, boots, chest protector, thick riding pants, etc. I have considered using more safety gear in the RZR, but the helmet really beats the shit out of you when trail riding fast in bumpy stuff, there is no excuse really I know. I'm thinking Wildcats running 65+ in sand, might be time for more gear driving.
I rolled over a Carter Brothers buggy and put my hand out instinctively and almost crushed my left hand. The dirt was soft but my hand had scar tissue in it for three years. Go to go now though...

·
Registered
396 Posts
If you notice, the driver @ one point has his arm outside of the vehicle.

Thats why it's not only a good idea to get a 5 point belt to keep the lap belt in the proper place and keep you from silding forward, but also to get the arm restraints to keep your arms from frailing out the side the vehicle.

I don't care how hard you try, in some roll overs you are unable to keep a grip on the hand holds

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
i did not get the name wildone for:racer:slow so i put arm restraint and leg restraint so i can ride tomorrow

1 - 12 of 12 Posts