Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok can someone please tell me the proper way to break in a belt !!! This time i using a oem belt cause that gates blew in pieces !!!! So i have about 40 hours on my cat not sure about miles i didn't check but on third belt in less then 3 months i owned this !!! Someone told me i wasn't breaking them in properly also during my ride this weekend at buttercup i bottomed out really really hard (hurt by back too) but the exuast starting making a real wierd muffling sound i got off check it and didn't really see anything wrong it did it for like 30 minutes once it rested for like 1 hour then it started sounding normal again !!! Any ideas ???

·
Registered
242 Posts
as far as the muffler goes, I know exactly what your talking about. Mine does the same. Its the weight of the muffler stretching the springs. Then the spring pull the pipe back up flush and it quiets down again. As far as the belt goes I cant say. I've had a Gates on for 3 months beatin the crap out of with no break-in at all. works fine.

·
Administrator
27,674 Posts
How are you driving it? Are you on it / off it? A steady diet of throttle is never good for CVT machines. You need to drive it like a 2 stroke. You are either on the gas, or on the brake. Going the same speed for extended periods isn't very good for the belt. When did it actually blow in Buttercup? You talk more about the muffler sounds. Did it blow when you bottomed out? Where did you bottom, at Buttercup's Comp Hill?

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
While definitely not anywhere near knowledgeable on these machines, I've read others suggest the pulleys could be out of alignment. Did you reinstall the pulley shim(s) when replacing the belt?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no it blew it out when I was at the bowls riding I never had it at a constant speed but I had just race a few times up the hill

·
Administrator
27,674 Posts
no it blew it out when I was at the bowls riding I never had it at a constant speed but I had just race a few times up the hill
Could have been there wasn't sufficient time to cool the belt, before you went dunning. Paddles - 16? They are a little close together, and they might be a little tall. Are they Haulers, or Extremes? I can't believe I'm getting sucked back into another eddierokz paddle thread, LOL:)

Reactions: pawnman

·
Registered
306 Posts
Install a blower like the one from utv inc or just build your own. I have one with zero issues ridding in the dunes and trails.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jajaja no they are regular haulers and 14 paddles lol but someone mentions like a dowel I just throw my belt on there I put the dowels n my question is there a proper way I should be braking in a belt?? or s that just a myth

·
Administrator
27,674 Posts
jajaja no they are regular haulers and 14 paddles lol but someone mentions like a dowel I just throw my belt on there I put the dowels n my question is there a proper way I should be braking in a belt?? or s that just a myth
Stupid question, but have you been putting the belt on with the arrow facing forward/clockwise? Looks like a lot more than 14 paddles, but OK. The dowels are in the cases, roughly 3 and 9 oclock settings. That has to do with the cases getting lined up properly, not the belt. Like mentioned, do you have a blower, either UTV Inc.'s or another type? Probably wise getting one, especially running the dunes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmmmm well not so stupid Hollywood cause I hadn't even checked if they had arrows now I feel stupid !!! maybe that's it !!! ok ill make sure I put this one right :) ill buy a blower and hope they last a little longer ..so then my answer is NO there is not a belt break in procedure then right ? thanks everyone for your help !!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Looks like a lot of paddle. Most people are running 8 or 9 paddles. Im no expert but you could try running a high PSI so less of the tire is gripping. Maybe it will give you more spin and lighten the load. Other option is to cut every other paddle off.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I dont have a blower and have never blown a belt. I've been to glamis once for a few days and had no problems but I was running bighorns. My belt temp never got hotter then 160.

I dont know there looks like a few things you can try.

I lost my dowels for the cover a long time ago. I think they are just there to hold the gasket in place while you line up the front.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I lost my dowels for the cover a long time ago. I think they are just there to hold the gasket in place while you line up the front.
That is correct...

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
14 paddles OMG, what rpm you hitting climbing a big dune?

·
Administrator
27,674 Posts
14 paddles OMG, what rpm you hitting climbing a big dune?
I'm running 16 paddle STU Blasters. Taching somewhere between 6800 - 7000 at the top of Olds in Glamis.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts