Wildcat Forum banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, the only thing that rattles on mine are the front and rear sway bars, my brother works at a rock quary and he gets "spray grease" (actually says that on the can) so I greased the piss out of the bushings and not a peep come out of them
My dealership service department recommends using PJ1-Blue-Label-Chain-Lube on all bushings. It's similar to spray grease in that it sticks and stays and keep lubricating the bushings.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Has anyone else cut theirs apart to do the cat? I would like some more info.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Has anyone else cut theirs apart to do the cat? I would like some more info.

Take your muffler off and drill it out with a 10" concrete drill bit, thats what I did to mine and it gets rid of the heat IMHO and gain some power also, a little louder but not much….should be some pictures on this thread, pretty easy to do, just go at it, drills right through it, tear it up and dump out the crap and your ready. I have a muzzy now, little better sound and looks better.

POST # 43

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just drilled mine, concrete drillbit and hammer drill tears that up! Anyone know what that stuff is, I saved all the chunks and such. Also...thoughts....Especially Drock since you have cut yours open, instead of finding perforated tubing to run from the entrance to exit, how about just cutting the internals all out so its a pipe going from engine to front of the can then your spark arrestor and turndown coming out? Basically a big echo can? Never done anything like it and wondered what it would do, besides be loud.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Junk yards pay 50-75 for removed cats from cars. Don't know how an atv cat compares in size, but I'm sure it has some value. Drilling it out will lose you turn in money. Cut it like the OP did and the junk yard will be able to confirm its a cat and they will pay you for it. Think about this mod as giving you money back.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
I just drilled mine, concrete drillbit and hammer drill tears that up! Anyone know what that stuff is, I saved all the chunks and such. Also...thoughts....Especially Drock since you have cut yours open, instead of finding perforated tubing to run from the entrance to exit, how about just cutting the internals all out so its a pipe going from engine to front of the can then your spark arrestor and turndown coming out? Basically a big echo can? Never done anything like it and wondered what it would do, besides be loud.
It would just be very loud

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Junk yards pay 50-75 for removed cats from cars. Don't know how an atv cat compares in size, but I'm sure it has some value. Drilling it out will lose you turn in money. Cut it like the OP did and the junk yard will be able to confirm its a cat and they will pay you for it. Think about this mod as giving you money back.
Fromwhat i can tell its not that kind of cat, more just metal to get hot and burn off any excess fuel in the exhaust. Still a cat in its theory but not the same material make up of an automotive cat.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Does anyone have a stock muffler they could part with, possibly for some money, for experimentation?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
There is one for cheap on ebay right now.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The only one I found was with 1 mi and cost about as much as an aftermarket one, I'm looking for a used one, don't matter if its caked in mud or has 1000mi or more on it, and I assume some tuning would need to be involved if all the internals were gutted? I have an idea to gut it, but add something as a sort of backpressure.

·
Premium Member
7,881 Posts
The only one I found was with 1 mi and cost about as much as an aftermarket one, I'm looking for a used one, don't matter if its caked in mud or has 1000mi or more on it, and I assume some tuning would need to be involved if all the internals were gutted? I have an idea to gut it, but add something as a sort of backpressure.
there was one on ebay yesterday for $79.99 but no longer see it listed...there are two listed now at $225.00 or make offer and $330.00 with 1 mile usage...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
...i did mine yesterday- and just wonder- it was NOT an easy job - as some mentoined here- had to drill and push hard for every mm !?? no way of "it was just falling out".....;- ()

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
...i did mine yesterday- and just wonder- it was NOT an easy job - as some mentoined here- had to drill and push hard for every mm !?? no way of "it was just falling out".....;- ()
Did you use a concrete drill? Mine took less than a minute, took longer to get it unhooked from the machine.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I got mine really clean, I had to use the drill and hammerdrill like a mill and cut the material off the tubing but I didn't think it was hard to do.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Decided to take the plunge, and do the muffler mod. One of my motivations was that I was looking to quiet it down a bit - and I had tried a longer tailpipe, which actually worked pretty good. However I was concerned about creating backpressure, and causing even more heat than it was already.
So I followed the steps posted here (thanks for the great tutorial DRock! ) Mostly it went pretty good. I found it difficult to actually cut the 'cat out, as my cutting wheel wouldn't reach all the way through the pipe, and it sits a little lower than the 2 beside it - so hacksawing was tough too, without cutting into the other 2 pipes. I ended up sort of prying/bending up as I cut, to get the pipe higher, so I could cut through. The other thing that gave me grief was putting that wrapped fiberglass pack back into the casing! It really wanted to drag on the sides and bunch up - ended up taking it back apart, re-taping as tight as I could, and nursing it back in.
One change I made/added, was replacing the pipe that was removed by cutting out the cat. I felt I wanted to maintain the same flow/direction as was originally engineered, so welded in a new "sleeve" to fill the gap with a couple of 1.75 inch adapters I had (made like a little telescope I could put in place, and open up ) - posted a pic of that, which I straightened out, before doing the final welds. Also added a couple of pics of my extended tailpipe. I wouldn't say it makes it as quiet as a kitten, but I found a noticeable difference in sound levels.
muffler inside.jpg
muffler1.jpg muffler2.jpg

·
Registered
314 Posts
first good ride today, after the muffler surgery :)
In my mind, its quieter at lower rpm's / light loads - likely due to the long tailpipe.
Under load / higher speeds, it seems louder, but a far more pleasant sound! More like a real engine!
Lastly, it may very well be my imagination, but it seems to have a little more torque/snap to it, in the mid range.
All in all, very happy with the change!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Went ahead and drilled out my muffler today. Fairly simple. Had 3 rechargeable batteries for my drill but needed to recharge one to get the final debris removed so took a bit longer but glad I got it done.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts