Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2022, and upon unloading it I noticed it was smoking more than a new engine should.

Thought maybe they over filled it so check the oil and it was dead in the middle. Continued to smoke at work (Just starting and moving to take photos a couple times around our facility) so I checked the oil and nothing was on it. This was at 1-2 hours max. I Added about .2-.3 quarts of oil, smoked cleared up thought maybe it hasn't gotten hot enough, nothing has seated, etc.

Took it out, drove it about 2 hrs/ 30 miles. Still smoked, but seemed to clear up once it was up to full operating temperature. Never got any dash lights, temps stayed good.
When I got home, the dip stick did not measure any oil, I think even screwed in didn't register.

Told the dealer I bought it from, took it in so that they could look at it. They did a compression and leak down tests, said both were fine, put in 0.5 quarts of oil and told me to run it. I insisted they try/ check other things to diagnose but they told me they cant do an oil consumption test there and I need to drive it. They contacted arctic cat and that was their recommendation as well. Side note they were trying to charge me for an oil change the full diagnosis time of a brand new vehicle with a clear issue.

Took it out this weekend to the dunes, ended up putting about 1.75 quarts in to keep oil in the tank, still smokes upon start up.

It leads me to believe that there is maybe a defective oil breather valve, but I'm not sure that would even cause excessive oil consumption.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

·
Registered
685 Posts
I've never had this issue on my 18.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I have a 2022 bought in August.
Has never used any oil that I can tell.
First oil/filter change, 10 hours.
Front and rear diff change 20 hours.
Second oil/filter change 30 hours.
Now has 34 hours and has never needed oil between changes.

Something is up. DOCUMENT, save all paperwork, receipts, dates ect.
Take pictures. Act like you are putting together a court case.
Consider a different dealer put fresh eyes on it.
Oil control ring stuck?
Valve seals?
What do the plugs look like?
Scope the cylinders if you can.

Drive, keep oil full, keep oil clean, try heavier weight oil.
I use hot weather oil here in the desert.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 2022 bought in August.
Has never used any oil that I can tell.
First oil/filter change, 10 hours.
Front and rear diff change 20 hours.
Second oil/filter change 30 hours.
Now has 34 hours and has never needed oil between changes.

Something is up. DOCUMENT, save all paperwork, receipts, dates ect.
Take pictures. Act like you are putting together a court case.
Consider a different dealer put fresh eyes on it.
Oil control ring stuck?
Valve seals?
What do the plugs look like?
Scope the cylinders if you can.

Drive, keep oil full, keep oil clean, try heavier weight oil.
I use hot weather oil here in the desert.
I have been documenting everything since it was both the dealer and Arctic Cat's recommendation to just send it haha.

The dealer and Artic cat now want to do an engine tear down, and if they find nothing I'm left with the bill. I asked the dealer why they wouldn't you know start with some more basic stuff like making sure the PCV Valve isn't defective, checking all of the oil lines to make sure nothing is clogged with assembly grease (not likely but wouldn't hurt), making sure there isn't a pool of oil in the intake manifold, scoping the cylinders, etc.

It runs great, I never got an oil light, plus they said the leak down test and compression test came out good. Unless they lied, then it would either have to be coming in from the intake, or the valve seals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts