Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have looked for the size of the stock oil filter on a '14 Wildcat 4 and cant find it. I am looking for a tool to get in there and remove the oil filter. Anyone have any ideas of the size or what do you use to remove the oil filter.

·
Registered
997 Posts
K&N 621 makes it easy. Remove the rear skid plate 1st.

Reactions: Hollywood

·
Administrator
27,616 Posts
Welcome sandovalz64. 2nd the K & N 621. It's a little longer than a stock filter, so it can filter a little more oil. It has a nut tack welded to it, easy to put on / take off with a wrench.

I would just use an oil filter wrench, or the strap oil filter wrench.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
If you are going to go with the K&N (a wise choice IMHO), you can skip getting the "right" wrench for your current filter. Just drive a long screwdriver through it and unscrew it using the leverage of the screwdriver.

·
Administrator
27,616 Posts
Okay thank you. Seems like a lot of people run the K & N filter.
Yeah, it's a very good filter. They make 2, can't remember off the top of my head the number, but it's the same length as the stock filter. The 621 is longer, so most use it. Pretty easy to get too. Walmart carries them.

·
Registered
711 Posts
A small or medium rubber strap wrench will also work.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So I have looked for the size of the stock oil filter on a '14 Wildcat 4 and cant find it. I am looking for a tool to get in there and remove the oil filter. Anyone have any ideas of the size or what do you use to remove the oil filter.
My idea of an oil change is take it to the dealer. Or a mechanic. My experience changing oil was not good. I ran the motor for about 20 minutes so the oil would drain, that makes the exhaust pipe hot. I drained the oil, unscrewed the dip stick. Touched the exhaust pipe which burned my forearm which made me jump back. When I did I stepped in the pan of hot oil and then fell down. Ruined a new pair of $120.00 of gym shoes. Then had to get rid of the drained oil and filter.
Arctic Cat oil runs about $50.00 and then the cost of the filter. It cost $105.00 to have the oil changed and they service everything and they take care of the old oil.

That is my story and I am sticking to it. I don't do oil changes anymore.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s all good. I did the oil change this past weekend. I ended up using a penzzoil strap and was able to get it off. I don’t have very much room next to the filter so I had to pull it out from the other side. Attached is the strap I used and recommend. Reason for that is I don’t have very much room for play around my filter(filter wrench won’t work and possibly not even the k&n filter)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
dilledille's story made me laugh. That DeanTeck has already "liked" it very nearly made me shoot tea out of my nose.

You two may have been separated at birth.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Is there less room around the filter on a 4 vs. a 2 seater?

Access on my X is tight, especially for a "normal" filter wrench that fits the fluting on the filter. The K&N requires less room, since you can put an end-wrench on the nut.

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
dilledille's story made me laugh. That DeanTeck has already "liked" it very nearly made me shoot tea out of my nose. You two may have been separated at birth.
we be twins mark!...haaaaa....now back to your crumpets...

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
It made me think of a few people I ride with. They just drop their machine at my house with oil change products and I call them when it’s done, I think there the smart ones because I’m the guy with burnt body parts and oil on my shoes!!! LOL

Reactions: mtgott and DeanTeck
1 - 13 of 13 Posts