Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well once again I have another issue with my cat. After having valving issues in the first 30 miles, I now have severe oil leak issues in the first 50. I was out riding yesterday when I noticed a couple of drops of oil under then engine. Started to look around and noticed a few spots on the stator case gasket, a little spots near the cylinder base (drivers rear cylinder bolt), and a pretty good spot around the spark plug on the head passenger side. I checked my oil level to find it still on the mark then headed back to the truck. Within a couple minutes white smoke started pouring from the engine bay so I cut it off immediately. When I crawled under it I noticed this hose had blown off passenger side front of the motor. Needless to say it discharged what appears to be a large sum of my oil in mere seconds. The hose clamp appeared to be tight as I could not force the hose back on manually, which leads me to believe the system had possibly built pressure??

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I wonder if they jacked with other stuff while they were researching your first issue. It is pretty common to get something fixed at the dealer and have them forget to tighten or re-install something totally unrelated. I hope that is the case. Don't love hearing about oil leak issues on more and more machines...............

·
Registered
508 Posts
Wonder if they are getting overfilled with oil.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Is that the oil line that goes to the cooler? I found all 4 of my cooler line hose clamps too loose for my taste. Tightened them up a little before I lost too much oil. 2 of the 4 were leaking a little, which is what caused me to investigate.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
That sucks!!

I'm beginning to wonder if there aren't some crankcase ventilation issues, seams like a few here have had some kind of oil issue. Let me share mine. The first time i took mine out, about two weeks ago, My wife and I took it out on the lake. It was cold, about 10 deg. and very windy.We rode around on the lake for about 30 minutes. I dropped her off at the truck to warm up and I went back out on the lake by myself, I was gone about 5 minutes and decided to return to the truck. When I got back the rear of my Wildcat was completely engulfed in white smoke and it smell real bad. I actually thought that I was on fire. I wasn't... I had oil covering everything, the exhaust was soaked and smoking. The exhaust pipe is actually stained brown. Every inch of everything was dripping oil!!! WTF!!! Looking around for the cause I finally saw that the filler/dipstick was gone. I will be honest I don't remember ever checking it to make sure it was tight. This was again, the first time I took it out. I spent an hour and a half walking around a frozen lake following my trail (6" of fresh snow) looking for the dipstick. I did find it believe it or not. I was pissed at myself and was determined to find it. When I screwed the dipstick back into the case it felt right, each twist took some effort? Is it possible that crankcase pressure could force it out? I don't know. It seems like the fit of the plastic threads are tight enough that it shouldn't fall out even if the dipstick hadn't been tightened snug... Luckily it didn't take more then maybe a cup of oil to top it off, and I don't think the engine was harmed. One hell of a disappointing first ride!!

:pat:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Those barb fitting can be junk.

I put an aftermarket oil cooler on my RZR after the BB kit and stroker went into it...I lost the line in the first ten minutes.

I went to an automotive ac shop and the made me up some flare fitting lines and sold me fittings for the engine and oil cooler...not a problem in 18 months.

Might not be needed but it helped me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Right on target Bruce. Russel makes fittings and bulk hose for every fluid line you can think of including hard line bends... No B.S hose clamps, super clean.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Oil cooler lines have been coming off of the 1000 motor since the start. Just put some better hose clamps on the lines and it's just fine. Both connections, the one on the cooler and where it goes into motor.

·
Registered
66 Posts
WOW, I’m gaining patients. First I wait five months for my Wildcat, and then drive over 200 miles in a snowstorm on February 28[SUP]th[/SUP] to get it, road one day; then hauled it 150 miles March 3[SUP]rd,[/SUP] to closest dealer to have oil leak fix, still waiting. WOW!!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Dropped off on Feb 28th for an oil leak, still waiting parts.
What are the chances that Arctic Cat will add time back to the warranty because they failed to have repair parts ready?

Edit*

·
Registered
66 Posts
:turtle:
I'm in the same boat. Dropped off on Feb 28th for an oil leak, still waiting parts.
What are the chances that Arctic Cat will add time back to the warranty because they failed to have repair parts ready?

I agree, they should put time back on warranty. I've been talking to dealer about it. Come on Arctic Cat step up to the plate and do the right thing.:turtle:

Edit*

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well it seems right now the fittings themselves or clamps were not the culprit. Its appears at this time that the flimsy line going to the oil cooler was kinked from the factory causing the engine to build pressure and leak oil out of any orifice possible. I would advise anybody with oil leaks to at least look at this to save themselves headache or engine damage/failure. Seems these lines should be more rigid such as maybe a SS braided type or similar to resist kinking so easily. now i wait for prognosis on my engine. :sad:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts