1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I am going to switch to amsoil

·
Registered
686 Posts
ONLY run wet clutch approved oil or you will TOAST the wet clutches. regular car oil, synthetics, and most every other oil on the market, will toast your wet clutch. only use wet clutch oil, dont use anything with friction modifiers.

if you put in the wrong oil, it only takes about 5 miles, and your wet clutch will start to slip. as soon as the non-wet clutch oil seeps into the shoes, the shoes will begin to slip in the drum, and burn the shoes and the drum up. this is a costly mistake, as it cost you about $550+ to replace a set of wet clutch shoes and the drum, both of which have to be replaced once you burn them.

USE ONLY WET CLUTCH APPROVED OIL.

·
Registered
195 Posts
ONLY run wet clutch approved oil or you will TOAST the wet clutches. regular car oil, synthetics, and most every other oil on the market, will toast your wet clutch. only use wet clutch oil, dont use anything with friction modifiers.

if you put in the wrong oil, it only takes about 5 miles, and your wet clutch will start to slip. as soon as the non-wet clutch oil seeps into the shoes, the shoes will begin to slip in the drum, and burn the shoes and the drum up. this is a costly mistake, as it cost you about $550+ to replace a set of wet clutch shoes and the drum, both of which have to be replaced once you burn them.

Manual calls out on page 31 to use Artic Cat ACX All Weather synthetic engine oil or any API certified SM 0W-40 oil. This info above makes sense but contradicts the manual. Anyone else care to share any info on the subject?

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I'm changing it with Arctic Cat oil this time, but was going to check in to seeing if I could use Amsoil.

Thanks for the info Adam

·
Registered
396 Posts
Manual calls out on page 31 to use Artic Cat ACX All Weather synthetic engine oil or any API certified SM 0W-40 oil. This info above makes sense but contradicts the manual. Anyone else care to share any info on the subject?
Look again in the Caution warning just above the Oil recommended on page 31

It is the same for my KTM, or any bike that shares the crank with the transmission & clutches. You must make sure that there are no friction reducing additives (Which most automotive motor oil contains, such as graphite or moly.

Any 4 stroke motorcycle oil is safe. I use Amsoil full synthetic motorcycle oil in my KTM with great success.

Mike

·
Registered
686 Posts
arctic cat probably has synthetics they sell that are wet clutch approved.

going to your local checkers/orileys/auto zone and buying just standard off the shelf synthetic for your automobile is not gonna cut it. regular car oils wont work. i am sure amsoil has a motorcycle blend for wet clutches that are in motorcycles. i would consult your dealer, and read the oil bottle on the back first to make sure they are wet clutch compatible.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I'm changing it with Arctic Cat oil this time, but was going to check in to seeing if I could use Amsoil.

Thanks for the info Adam
Been Running Amsoil Sents 08 In All My AC

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Just look for the energy saver symbol and stay away from any oil that has it. It will have friction additives. There are plenty of synthetics that can be run. I like Rottella T in my street bike and run it in our two manual shift AC ATV's. Yellow Font Logo Label Signage

·
Registered
29 Posts
So if I understand correctly as long the oil is api sm certified WITHOUT energy conserving I'm good to go? I thought to be wet clutch
certfied it also has to meet jaso ma but i see no reference to this in the owners manual:confused:

·
Registered
396 Posts
I was looking into running the Rekluse automatic clutch, which many seem to like in my KTM 525. It is a Wet Clutch System.

On there website they quote;
"What oil do you recommend?
Let's start with oils we do not recommend. Any oil formulated for automotive use is not recommended and in general, should not be used in motorcycle applications. This includes conventional and synthetic oils formulated for automotive use. Modern automotive oils do not contain the anti-wear additives necessary for proper lubrication in a motorcycle engine and may contain high quantities of friction modifiers that can cause excessive clutch slip. That said, in most cases the oil you use should work fine in all Rekluse clutches However, some riders may find they experience clutch squeal, clutch chatter or have problems with clutch slip. If you experience these problems, we recommend trying Shell Rotella T, a heavy-duty, conventional diesel engine oil.

At Rekluse, we have found Shell Rotella T (15W-40) provides excellent clutch performance and often eliminates customer complaints of clutch problems. Why do we recommend conventional diesel engine oil over synthetic? In general, we have found conventional oils perform slightly better at reducing clutch noise vs synthetic oils. However, many Rekluse customers get excellent performance with synthetic oils. The bottom line: If your current oil is working fine, keep using it. If you're hearing some clutch noise or your clutch feels soft or slips, give the Shell Rotella T a try. ",
End quote

I have not tried it yet, I currently use Amsoil full synthetic motorcycle oil. But I am going to give the Rotella T in my Bike when my supply of Amsoil runs out. I'll let you know the results

Mike

·
Registered
8,623 Posts

The above is really good advice, don't let a low dollar oil change cause a high dollar repair to be needed.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
So if I understand correctly as long the oil is api sm certified WITHOUT energy conserving I'm good to go? I thought to be wet clutch
certfied it also has to meet jaso ma but i see no reference to this in the owners manual:confused:
It does get a little murky. JASO is the Japanese equivalent of SAE. Arctic Cat really doesn't refer to it. If it meets the JASO spec it is obviously wet-clutch friendly. If it says "Wet-Clutch Friendly" like the A-C oils, obviously it is OK. From there it is mostly assumptions. You can generally assume that if it doesn't say "Energy Conserving" and/or have the symbol, you should be OK. I had seen a statement by a Shell Lube Chemist once stating that Rotella is wet-clutch friendly, even though it doesn't say so. Enough people are running it that I believe it to be true. Amsoil, as previously stated, makes a variety of wet-clutch friendly powersports oils, and there are others, as well. Go with what you know.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Rotella is approved for a wet clutch. I use Rotella t6 in everything I own. Truck, quad, motorcycle, lawnmower, rzr, and I'll be using it in the wildcat. I've read a lot about oil and this stuff is always highly rated. Look it up

·
Registered
487 Posts
Harley actually recommends a diesel engine oil if HD oil is not available. I run Amsoil motorcycle 20w-50 summertime and then 0w-40 during the winter. When I slip up and don't have those on hand I use Amsoil 15w-40 Marine/Diesel oil which I keep a 55 gallon drum on hand. I have had no issues with any of the three in all my wet clutch applications to include my modded HD.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Rotella is approved for a wet clutch. I use Rotella t6 in everything I own. Truck, quad, motorcycle, lawnmower, rzr, and I'll be using it in the wildcat. I've read a lot about oil and this stuff is always highly rated. Look it up
I don't have any left over bottles from my last oil change on my pickup, but I don't think it says wet-clutch friendly on the bottle, IIRC. That's what confuses folks.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
From the research I've done, JASO-MA is the Japanese rating for a wet clutch compliant high friction oil. JASO-MB is a low friction oil and is not good for a wet clutch. If it doesn't say JASO-MA and it's not a motorcycle specific oil, I wouldn't take the chance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use and recommend

In all three cars
Mobil 1 Extended Performance Fully Synthetic Motor Oil

All of our Polaris, Arctic Cat & Yamaha Toys
Winter
Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40

Summer
Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50

Same oil other than viscosity. I e-mailed them & they said it was just marketing stratigy on labeling. The Yamaha Banshee is set up for flat tracking & gets the snote ran out of it. In 8yr no issues, although I re-ring it every winter. We just sold a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix with 186,000mi on it. From first oil change it had Mobil 1 Syn in it & ran as good as new when sold !!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts