Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed in the manual it says not to engage 4wd while the vehicle is moving. But on Arctic Cat's website it says you can do it on the fly. I've been engaging 4wd on the fly without any issues since I've had mine. Just curious, has anyone had any issues with this?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
4wd is fine, but not the front diff lock...they're 2 different things.

·
Administrator
28,113 Posts
Been discussed many times. Some do it, some don't. I don't. I tried it once, got a very loud bang out of the rear, and thought I lost the entire diff, LOL. I stop, and put it in 4wd. Guess it depends on your riding conditions.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Yup, big difference between putting it in 4wd and locking the diff. Always stop for the diff, not necessary to stop for 4wd.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
So long as all 4 tires are turning the same speed you can go in / out of 4wd, so no shifting when hard accelerating, braking or turning. Full stop for in / out of front axel lock

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I've had bad luck engaging 4wd while stopped. Sometimes I like to run the dunes in 2wd and I came to a stop at the top of a hill and got stuck. I put it in 4wd and got back on the gas and the machine made a HUGE bang sound and I thought I broke something. I guess 4wd wasn't fully engaged before the rear tires started spinning.

So from there on out I've always engaged 4wd while moving. I haven't had a sound since.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
^ Did you hit the gas immediately after you hit the button for 4wd? You can usually hear it engage and it takes a second or two. Always wait until it is done engaging.

·
Premium Member
3,788 Posts
I shift to 4wd and out on the fly but never when under power, always make sure my foot is off the gas and I am coasting when I do it. Now, if I want to lock the front differential, I always come to a complete stop, for both locking and unlocking.
Agree 100%. That's how I do it and recommend it. I do the same with my "shift on the fly" truck 4WD. I've never had a any engagement problem or with any noise.

Reactions: raynmary

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Right now I have 3 wheel drive. How many of ya can say that?

Auto part Suspension Suspension part Engine Vehicle

Reactions: raynmary

·
Administrator
28,113 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I shift on the fly all the time as long as U realize it is load and situation sensitive. From low to high, high to low, 2x4 to 4x4 and diff lock on or off as long as there is no load on the drivetrain. Have been doing this on the move for more than 8000 miles and 500 hours with ZERO issues!

Reactions: Gabegtorres

·
Administrator
28,113 Posts
I shift on the fly all the time as long as U realize it is load and situation sensitive. From low to high, high to low, 2x4 to 4x4 and diff lock on or off as long as there is no load on the drivetrain. Have been doing this on the move for more than 8000 miles and 500 hours with ZERO issues!
Yeah, but on snow doesn't count.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.