Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys blew the belt on my 4 in 100miles, $220.00 Canadian for a new one and it takes a week to get. My question is for all you guys out there that have blown belts and then installed a cvt blower. Do they actually help with belt life or is it just a might help type deal? :confused:

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Well, to answer you, I would first tell you to make sure your alignment is correct. I remember some posts like yours with the WC4 blowing belts around 100 miles, and they took it back to the dealer, and found out the primary and secondary were not in alignment. It happens. Does the blower help, I'm sure there are plenty of members that will chime in saying it does, or at least give you some piece of mind.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Some people with the blower installed have still blown belts, and some of us with no blower have not blown one yet. Make sure you never rev the motor in park. Be sure to put it in neutral after a run and let it idle for a minute or 2 to cool off the belt. I only put mine in park after its turned off.....

·
Registered
463 Posts
my first belt blew on my wc4 within 24 miles. i took it back to the dealer, they didnt say anything about an alignment issue. However since they have replaced the belt and i recently had my first service, they said the belt looks good. I now have almost 500 miles on the second belt and it is holding up well. I highly recommend installing a CVT blower. especially when your not on the gas, that fan is constantly cooling the belt regardless of the throttle position. i made a kit that Jesse told me about less than $50.00 installed by myself.

·
Registered
889 Posts
If your clutch isn't setup right, ie aligned properly, no blower is going to help. But assuming everything is setup right, the blower will lower temps. Mine really moves a lot of air. It cant hurt, and they are cheap. I say....why not...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I went through 6 belts last season at the dunes over 14 total trips. Had the clutch blower on for at least 4 of those belts. The blower clearly does not solve the problem, but at the same time it certainly cannot hurt. When my belts blow, there is nothing larger than a 1in. square piece left. Yes, I have been through the whole alignment stuff etc... I am convinced that the heat buildup of the clutches themselves, not the air flowing by them, is just too hot. When I swap the belts, you cannot even touch those clutches they are so hot. I think my next move is to cut the cover in half and only run the front portion that has the bearing support (mine is a 2012 with a Muzzy wcd) and leave the rear half off. I only ride in sand so I don't worry about water or mud. I am willing to sacrifice a housing cover to try to find the solution. By the way, not complaining, love the Wildcat!!!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
almost 2000 miles, currently on my 4th belt, no blower, never broken a belt, man i am one lucky dude or what?, they all still look like new, only changed them when i did clutch work, just because.

Reactions: UTV Inc

·
Registered
433 Posts
1200 Miles. Original belt. Talked to Airdam today and he told me he has never blown a belt...Interesting. Wonder why so many have trouble and yet so many don't?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Heat is the belt killer, but one thing I've noticed is how different the belts are. I've bought 3 cat belts and all where very close in size but never exact (Within 1/16-1/8 of an inch). It can't be a good thing, its always just enough to mess with my clutching a little.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
1200 Miles. Original belt. Talked to Airdam today and he told me he has never blown a belt...Interesting. Wonder why so many have trouble and yet so many don't?
just my thoughts, throttle control. I see and hear from drivers that they just mash the gas 100% of the time and blow belts left and right. Vs the other side that are in cruise mode 90% of the time then get on the gas occasionally. TO be more clear, I roll the gas from a dead stop all the way to cruising speed 35-60mph.I dont gun it till I hit desired speed. Im more the cruiser type and with 500 miles on OG belt with the blower installed day 1, my belt looks brand new.

How do you gents honestly drive and think back on how many belts you've gone through

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
just my thoughts, throttle control. I see and hear from drivers that they just mash the gas 100% of the time and blow belts left and right. Vs the other side that are in cruise mode 90% of the time then get on the gas occasionally. TO be more clear, I roll the gas from a dead stop all the way to cruising speed 35-60mph.I dont gun it till I hit desired speed. Im more the cruiser type and with 500 miles on OG belt with the blower installed day 1, my belt looks brand new.

How do you gents honestly drive and think back on how many belts you've gone through
I'm the exact opposite, WOT is how I get around. Blown one belt in 600 miles. I sound like a broken record, but heat is 100% the cause of the belts exploding weather its the belt, clutch alignment, out side temps, etc... If you blow belts on the norm, check the normal stuff then reroute the cvt intake to fresh air and add a blower for good measure. If you can, fill the clutch cover with holes.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I went through 6 belts last season at the dunes over 14 total trips. Had the clutch blower on for at least 4 of those belts. The blower clearly does not solve the problem, but at the same time it certainly cannot hurt. When my belts blow, there is nothing larger than a 1in. square piece left. Yes, I have been through the whole alignment stuff etc... I am convinced that the heat buildup of the clutches themselves, not the air flowing by them, is just too hot. When I swap the belts, you cannot even touch those clutches they are so hot. I think my next move is to cut the cover in half and only run the front portion that has the bearing support (mine is a 2012 with a Muzzy wcd) and leave the rear half off. I only ride in sand so I don't worry about water or mud. I am willing to sacrifice a housing cover to try to find the solution. By the way, not complaining, love the Wildcat!!!
I did this.

IMG_20130603_180027_933.sized.jpg

The piece can be put back on and the seam is so small I wouldn't even worry about it unless I am submerging it in a river. I would put a little silicone on the seam if I was planning a ride where there might be water crossings.

I only took it to the desert for a nice easy ride so far, but a lot of heat comes out of that gap. I have a blower too, btw.
I'll be at Pismo for 4 days for the 4th of July to really test it out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I ride the Wildcat hard, in 4wd the whole time with smoothly fronts and 26" 8 paddle Hauler rears. I am owning up to my mods. That is why I am not complaining. Just going to try a few new tricks for next season. I also have a 11' XP900. I ride that bike like I stole it, for 3 seasons. I have never even inspected the belt on it. Of course I never touched the clutch on it either.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Crawler-
That is exactly what I am talking about doing. I am going to go a little further forward. Just past the "T" in cat.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have used a Safari ram head snorkel with 3.5" fan, its turned on the moment the engine starts and is on full time, so fresh air is continuously passing over the belt, I only race my Wildcat so its flat out all the time and so far no broken belts, but its still early days. Also I ceramic coated the exhaust system to keep heat out of the engine area and have ventilated behind the seats to max out air flow over the engine bay, next step will be fitting a temp gauge to the belt cover air outlet to monitor temps snorkel.jpg maR2_EoFYQ0ZVVQJEDxKrGQ.jpg In dusty conditions I add a Unifilter pre-filter to both snorkel heads to keep fine dust out of the belt and airfilter $T2eC16RHJF8E9nnC7QusBQ7LT)k5Ug~~60_35.jpg

·
Registered
463 Posts
The Atwood blower is 147 CFM and that is plenty of air to pass no matter what the speed is. Remember the intake tube is not in direct contact with the air of your actual speed. In my opinion, the blower cannot do anything but help lower the belt temps.
i have actually modified my cvt exhaust tubing. i will take pictures of it tonight and post.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
The Atwood blower is 147 CFM and that is plenty of air to pass no matter what the speed is. Remember the intake tube is not in direct contact with the air of your actual speed. In my opinion, the blower cannot do anything but help lower the belt temps.
i have actually modified my cvt exhaust tubing. i will take pictures of it tonight and post.
Whats the actual CFM that the clutch creates? I have no idea myself , the intake tube may not be in contact of the air as you're driving but the speed of your clutch revolutions speed up and slow down with the motor changing your cfm... Think of a vacuum , if you have a motor turning 500 rpm vs 1000 using the same fan is it going to have the same suction or flow regardless of rpm?

I agree on the blower lowering belt temps as long as its not obstructing flow by the blower not keeping up - you cant force more water into a bucket with a hole in it that only allows so much out. Not knowing what the cfm that the clutch fins are producing in that compartment - you're assuming that 147 would be enough, but you cannot actually say that its plenty and say that its not causing an obstruction to the natural flow if the cfm of the vacuum produced by the clutch (which is unknown at this point) is greater then what the blower can produce or let pass through your reduced opening caused by the inline blower.

I spoke to site sponsored vendor and he told me that in their testing in KOH their in line clutch blower hindered flow while on except at idle where it did increase flow.

I think the biggest thing as of now to do would be to get the tubing modified coming out the exhaust side so you free up the flow and make it far more streatmlined. Im far from an expert, I dont have all the answers so I could very well be wrong , but theres not enough data to support that any blower will cause a good enough increase in cfm to make the clutches run cooler when it hits a wall at the exhaust side - obviously the stock setup isnt doing it.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts