Wildcat Forum banner

81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Just got done reading this entire thread, thank you Chris for going to all of this trouble!

You confirmed with hard data something that I had kinda suspected from my rough "uncalibrated hand" measurements. I had installed a 3" blower with a 150* thermal switch and suspected that when the blower was off, it was hindering flow, and when it was on it was helping, but not by huge amounts.

I agree with everyone else's conclusions, I'm going to install a 4" blower with minimal bends that will be switched on most of the time and draw cool air from the side of the WC.

What do you guys think about a 4" blower plumbed into a 4" opening on the clutch cover, with the stock intake re routed to a cooler source of air? This way the clutch has it's own source of air, and the blower adds air through a completely new hole.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
But I wasnt running it all the time, only when I ran it hard.. unless I read the results wrong, if its not always on, either way, im going bigger. plus id like to find a way to get it to fresh air.
You read it right, when the 3" fan is off it is crippling the airflow.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Just got done reading this entire thread, thank you Chris for going to all of this trouble!

You confirmed with hard data something that I had kinda suspected from my rough "uncalibrated hand" measurements. I had installed a 3" blower with a 150* thermal switch and suspected that when the blower was off, it was hindering flow, and when it was on it was helping, but not by huge amounts.

I agree with everyone else's conclusions, I'm going to install a 4" blower with minimal bends that will be switched on most of the time and draw cool air from the side of the WC.

What do you guys think about a 4" blower plumbed into a 4" opening on the clutch cover, with the stock intake re routed to a cooler source of air? This way the clutch has it's own source of air, and the blower adds air through a completely new hole.

It would be the same setup I have , the bigges thing IMO after seeing this is to increase the cooler air flow like what fozzy did

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here is what I did to modify the cvt exhaust tube
I just pulled my exhaust tube to do the same thing.
I am also going to drill holes in the cover.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Well guys I am really gonna get a lot of you thinking about things now. Many have heard I built a my own cold air intake for the engine and for the CVT. My question is has anyone ever consider how much dust and dirt you are passing thru your CVT if you are not running some type of air filter. Well I have a picture from my ride today.....only 30 miles and it was not all about dusty conditions as we had some pretty decent water holes to cross along with a bunch swamp land and creek and river crossings. I am sure the videos will be put up by the site member that took them today some time in the near future.

IMG_0336.JPG IMG_0337.JPG

These were both brand spanking new prior to our ride today. If you think changing the location of these would make it better, not so sure cause when I took a shower my head and face look just like that filter. With all the water and wet mud being thrown around the filters both seemed to stay out of harms way for the most part. I will be getting a frogskin cover for the CVT inlet filter. I opened up the CVT and it was actually just a little bit of belt dust. I checked outlet air temps a lot during the day and never really seen the temps any where near where I would call them hot....and it was a mid 70's day today. We did pull a couple of long hills and I did check right after the climb and I would say the air coming from a car heater was about the temp of the air coming from my outlet. (That is my next mod...removal of the stock CVT exhaust).

Overall machine performed wonderful. My wife even drove a few of the tricky sections with a few pretty narly climbs without issues. So as you guys run more air thru your housing may need to consider what I did, especially if you are running a snorkel kit right about where I have that filter mounted. Last side note the 3 inch feed to the engine intake seems to have woke my Cat up a bit. The only downside is you can clearly hear when I am in the throttle hard.

I do have a few other notes but I need to get some pictures to make it easier to understand. In short we had a Cat go rogue on us while removing a good size stick, I will leave that for another post.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Then the rad cover will have a hood scoop to help force more air in the cvt intake. The tubing is 3" all the way, no necking down to 2"

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
And why the hell would you ever turn the blower off while you're riding? That makes no sense to me
at all.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
And why the hell would you ever turn the blower off while you're riding? That makes no sense to me
at all.
Hey Mike, I'm headed to the St Anthoney Sand dunes (Thursday thru Tuesday - 27th thru the 2nd) You should come up and test your cooling...If you don't bust a belt there - then you've got a good set up. ---- I gotta drive 10 hours but your only about 4 hours away from the dunes.

SAM_2094.JPG SAM_2091.JPG scan0009b.jpg

·
Registered
487 Posts
MGrotel nice job. I need to get one of those silicone 90* to really make my CVT a complete masterpiece but here in Ak they are hard to come by.

Point of the pics was to show how much dirt is being ingested by our CVT systems with our intakes at the rear of our machines. I have looked at my ATV and my friend's Mud Pro, neither pick up near as much dirt as we are with the rear intakes. I just cannot see where that can be healthy for our CVT systems. Those that can run clean air all the time would most likely be fine with an air scoop type intake above the roof line. Those that have snorkels installed right at the rear may need to reconsider their design or weigh their options.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just my opinion, but if Any of you guys owned Rhinos and remember all the belt problems they had when everyone was making CVT filters for them. I would rather have dirty air than a plugged filter giving me no air. You Swamp and mud boggers may be a different story. But dunes and desert. No filter for me.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Rockhopper, I think I can make it work, would love to ride with you again! I'll be in touch

About the filter, on the engine intake, it goes to the stock box so no need for another filter. On the CVT intake, no way in hell I'm running a filter. People complain over and over about 90* bends hindering air flow on the exhaust side, then remove the tubing and slap on a filter. What they don't realize is they just cut their airflow in about half. UNRESTRICTED 90* bends outflow RESTRICTED straight through every time. No CVT filter for me, I've tried it both ways and the amount of air moving is night and day.

·
Registered
463 Posts
i totally agree with you. i originally had a Uni filter on mine and within 2 hours of riding in the desert my airflow was cut in half. I ran the 90* 3" elbow and a 3" Atwood blower and i am very happy with my set up. I have the blower on ignition so no matter who drives my unit the blower will be on when ignition is activated. Since i dont go in the mud or water, no filter i feel will be necessary. Hell the factory set up doesn't even have a filter on it.

81 - 100 of 123 Posts