Wildcat Forum banner

101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am headed our to pismo this weekend but when i get back i am planning on running a CVT intake inlet right behind the rear passenger seat on my WC4, and running the intake tube on the same side.

i dont think you should put any filters on the CVT intake tube unless you are going in the water or mud.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The main point of the pictures was to show how much dust and dirt these snorkel intakes are sucking up if you are not out running wet conditions. You guys running the desert are up against a different set of issues then we are running wetter conditions. The Safari snorkels will be a good idea for hot conditions and get you above the roof line in some fresh air, but at the same time unless you use something to keep debris from entering the intakes then you are may be creating another issue (as well with the filter) but so far I can touch my CVT cover with my bare hand and not get any blisters. Those that are cutting their CVT covers for more air and leaving them open will let us know soon how durable these clutches are. Granted there should be no build up in them as they are suppose to be dry but I just do not care to see any of that dirt run thru my system. Don't forget us non team clutch guys have a support bearing in the outer cover. I am also not battling scorching heat....my hottest riding day this year was 87* but that is an exception not the rule for most of our riding season is spent in the 60*/70* range. Many times we get running real dusty conditions and it's a glacier slit that just plays havoc on moving parts. Can easily double as sandpaper. Different conditions, different solutions.

So a question for you desert guys....Other then climbing the dunes, how often to you keep your engine spinning at 5 k or above? When coming back down the dune what rpm's are you turning? and when running under 35 mph you still in high range? How about clutch changes? I have theory. I understand that belt destruction is not limited to dune runners but need to put similarities together to as why we are blowing belts. We know it's heat now where are we generating it from.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I've got holes drilled in my cover and splash through mud and water along with a lot of dust. Even when I wash it water gets in the cover but drains right out of all the bottom holes I drilled. Never slipped the clutch or find a lot more dirt in it compared to my old cvt rides that where closed off.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yeah there is no way I could ever get away with running holes in my cover. Check out my river crossing in Pic and Vids forum. I wish I took a video when I washed out my case before I installed the filter. Just down out nasty. Also consider what I am trying to say....it's not about those putting intakes above their roof line to get fresh air. It's those installed snorkel kits and are picking up air at the back of their cab.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
If mud bogging, the stock location is probably better than a 'back of the cab' intake. For other uses, a 'back of the cab' intake is not drastically worse than stock, as far as dust and dirt is concerned. All IMO

·
Registered
388 Posts
If your worried about mud and water above the back of the cab and above the roof line you bought the wrong vehicle. IMO.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If mud bogging, the stock location is probably better than a 'back of the cab' intake. For other uses, a 'back of the cab' intake is not drastically worse than stock, as far as dust and dirt is concerned. All IMO

One reason I changed the location of the intakes was because I found so much dirt in my intakes from running mud and water not near as deep as in my videos.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I live in League City. If you have the Team clutch model it would be interesting to see the differences. I could bring the stuff I used up there.
I need to get a clutch fan kit. I will let you know when I get one. After seeing what you have already found out and what everyone is talking about, I want to try to find a 4" kit and get fresh air from somewhere.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thought I'd bring this thread back to life. Great reading on this has anyone got and used the 4 in fan yet. I ordered a Atwood 4 in super quiet last night so that's the project for sat. Question I've seen that people are putting belt temps on. One recommended the alba racing. What all is it. It looks like it a standard temp probe and gauge. Am I seeing this or do they do something more u can't see.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Thought I'd bring this thread back to life. Great reading on this has anyone got and used the 4 in fan yet. I ordered a Atwood 4 in super quiet last night so that's the project for sat. Question I've seen that people are putting belt temps on. One recommended the alba racing. What all is it. It looks like it a standard temp probe and gauge. Am I seeing this or do they do something more u can't see.
Yes, basically that is it with the Alba gauge. Members were having problems with the sensor breaking off when they started to tighten them. Alba Nate came on and said they could redesign it for around $ 10 more, but that was the last I heard of anything. I am waiting for the redesign, then I am getting one. For peace of mind Iif nothing else.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Can't we just get the same stuff at auto parts store for like 50$ or less that's why I'm wondering got a lot of projects onthe car this weekend. Adding the fan and snorkels up through the radiator access panel. I see everyone is talk g the exhaust tubing off. But if you do that what stops water from running in with the trap removed

·
Registered
608 Posts
My sensor has been on there since they came out. Hasnt broke yet. I also dont have a cvt fan and havent broken a belt.

Only real time the belts gotten hot is on the street when im doing above 50-55 for a long straight. When you drop down to like 35 the belt cools rapidly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ya that's how I blew mine last week. Ruined my trip. So the family is gone for the week so it me and my cat. Good time to add some goodys

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
I have the belt temp gauge from Nate and had no problems. As far as the blower, it will not help at speed as the cvt is blowing air through the clutch like a bad dog, so the blower only really works a super low speeds or at stop.

I did not look through all the pages of this thread, but someone did a test on CFM flow and found that at higher rpm the blower did no good, just at low speed and idle.

I am one of those guys that can't leave well enough alone and like to "make" it better, so I did some research and found a blower that would fit and blows an unbelievable 800 cfm compared to the atwood at 140 cfm. My buddy has the atwood and there is know difference in mine or his. In fact my temp gauge rans a little hotter than his, however, we think that is do to the placement of the probe, which is different on each of ours.

I also am not convinced that a blower is the answer as I am not sure it really does all that much. The real answer is the belt temp gauge, when it starts to raise you just get out of it, slow down and let it cool down. Also when I stop I put it in neutral and watch the gauge till it cools down and then turn the machine off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice I just like the fact that It does help a lot at the lower rpms. I wish somone would make a temp gauge that really checked the belt temp not just the air around it. But it would prob be real$$$$. Ill keep wishing but maybe they will read this and make it. It shouldn't be to hard but....

101 - 120 of 123 Posts