Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here it is...yet another tire and wheel thread...

The trails come stock with 25" tires and advertise 10" of ground clearance however after a good ride my machine is a low rider and I have to crank up the shocks. Ground clearance is an issue but on the flip side I realize that larger tires will take away some of the power from this machines.

I have heard people run tires from 25" up to 32" and this will help with ground clearance but affect power. So what is the best tire size for these little Cats?

I have spoken to people who say a 27x9 tires is the best and others say 28x10. Some say leave it stock and I realize that riding type will have a determining factor as well. I am looking for optimum machine performance in all conditions.

I am at a crossroads and I am in between doing a 27x9x14 or a 29x9x14. I am particularly interested in the GBC dirt commander tires as they are 8 ply rating, affordable, and come highly rated.

According to the manufacturer:

27x9x14 - Tires are 27" tall and 9" wide and weight 25.4 pounds
29x9x14 - tires are 29.5" tall and 8.5" wide and weigh 28.2 pounds

The per tire weight difference is not much and I will gain at least another inch of ground clearance. I also understand that tire manufacturers give the tire sizes when tires are completely aired up to max however I will be running a lot less air pressure...maybe 8 pounds or so depending on where I am riding.

Looking for people's real world experience on this...anyone go with 27" and wish they went bigger and why? How about the opposite? Did you go too big and now you are losing too much power or having problems with things breaking?

Thanks,

Brendan

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Went with 27s and wish i went with 30s. Would have gained additional ground clearance and the weight of the tires would mean i may not have had to mess with my clutch so much to get it all right. With my performance mods i was into the rev limiter alot and the heavier 30s would have lessened that effect. Plus bigger tires look cooler. As for ground clearance, good luck setting your shocks and having them maintain a ride height cause those springs are crap. Trail handles big tires pretty good with minimal powerloss. You are on the right track by going to a 14" rim, gives way more tire options and leaves you with less exposed sidewall when going with large tires. My vote is for the 29s over the 27s. My next set will be 30"

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
So here it is...yet another tire and wheel thread...
The trails come stock with 25" tires and advertise 10" of ground clearance however after a good ride my machine is a low rider and I have to crank up the shocks. Ground clearance is an issue but on the flip side I realize that larger tires will take away some of the power from this machines.
I have heard people run tires from 25" up to 32" and this will help with ground clearance but affect power. So what is the best tire size for these little Cats?
I have spoken to people who say a 27x9 tires is the best and others say 28x10. Some say leave it stock and I realize that riding type will have a determining factor as well. I am looking for optimum machine performance in all conditions.
I am at a crossroads and I am in between doing a 27x9x14 or a 29x9x14. I am particularly interested in the GBC dirt commander tires as they are 8 ply rating, affordable, and come highly rated.
According to the manufacturer:
27x9x14 - Tires are 27" tall and 9" wide and weight 25.4 pounds
29x9x14 - tires are 29.5" tall and 8.5" wide and weigh 28.2 pounds
The per tire weight difference is not much and I will gain at least another inch of ground clearance. I also understand that tire manufacturers give the tire sizes when tires are completely aired up to max however I will be running a lot less air pressure...maybe 8 pounds or so depending on where I am riding.
Looking for people's real world experience on this...anyone go with 27" and wish they went bigger and why? How about the opposite? Did you go too big and now you are losing too much power or having problems with things breaking? Thanks,Brendan
your last paragraph sounds like my wife...wish she had gone bigger...haaaa
i'm more than happy with my 29's and don't feel they have slowed me down or affected the performance of our kitty...the extra ground clearance was the reason for the change from the oem...25's was just not cutting it...if you drive on smooth hardpack the 25's are fine...

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
I love my ITP Blackwaters in 28x10x12 - I also made them all the same size so ride was level. I use the rear OEM tire as my spare and if its a front tire that goes flat I'll take an ITP and put it on front and OEM on the rear - Not sure it really slowed my machine down but boy did they make a huge difference on the trail system and going through some serious mud - If I could choose again I would have probably gone with the 30" tire as they measure about 1" shorter than advertised - I got mine from MLS with rims for around 700= it was a great deal at this time last year.

Think I cranked my shocks 3-4 times total - There's a section of mild whoops that puts my machine through it's suspension pretty darn good - usually after running a few times I could tell how my suspension handled - Looking forward to that section this year with my new shocks/spring setup -

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
almost bought them (got to love credit cards haha) but not sure they will be any good to me. Designed as a desert tire but look similar to my truck tires so how bad can they be. Ill wait until this time next year when the clearance sales hit again. Cant find a deal close to that for any other 30" 8 ply radials though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have 27in swamplites which have 1.25in lugs, the trail has never in anyway felt under powered with them or didn't/couldn't break them loose. I will go with 29 or 30's when they wear out.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Not on a Trailcat but I've been really pleased with the performance and wear characteristics of my Pitbull Growler XORs. Not sure what they would be like in the kind of rock you have in the East coast DRock, but I suspect they would do well. They are heavy, but any 8-ply will be.

However for my type of riding on hardpack, some gravel and steep hardpack hills I've been thinking a light truck tire might be good. Tough to find in a 14" and I don't want to move to 15". However General Grabber AT2 look good and Canadian Tire carries them in a 14". Worth a look.

RLW

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Are those growlers a knobby type tire?? anyone know about the Maxxis Horn series tires - My ITP's are knobby and it feels like it on pavement - didn't know if the other tires did that too - granted i'm riding with a mud tire -

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Yes the Growlers are an aggressive knobby. Pitbull make an even more aggressive knobby called the Rocker but they're pretty hard core for my type of riding. Surprisingly the Growlers are not rough on pavement and I attribute that to the fact that they are radials. In my experience radial tires tend to ride better on hard surfaces and don't telegraph their tread types nearly as much as non-radials.

I have a buddy who bought his WC4 used from a guy who put Gorilla Silverback tires on it. Although the machine was in perfect shape (low miles and never nudded) it felt like it was completely broken after driving it 10 feet. Those tires are for posers, idiots or guys who ONLY do deep mud. Lol.

I've got Maxxis Bighorns on my quad. They perform very well for me, hardpack, loose dirt, breaking trail and moderate hills. And they are radials and ride quite nice even on pavememt.

RLW

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I got 27" but on stock rims, about the tallest I wanted to go on 12" rims…..Taller tires would of helped in some places for sure. I think with the taller tire you go the higher your center of gravity, that can be bad if you like racing and cornering fast, then you what lower, but for slower trail riding, climbing over obstacles, deep mund then taller is good. Depends on riding style and what terrain you like riding in, there is no one all fits all with tires.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have 27in swamplites which have 1.25in lugs, the trail has never in anyway felt under powered with them or didn't/couldn't break them loose. I will go with 29 or 30's when they wear out.
ive got the 29.5" swamplites on my wildcat. Performance is still good ,but at high speeds it gets swirly due to more flex and leverage from the larger tire. I did smell a little bit of belt burning while climbing up some rocks on the trail. so im not sure if it was just a tough rocky section or the tires were putting that much more strain on the belt(in low gear) but im not new to riding so im gonna say it was the tire size causing it. They do rub when full turn on the inner fender. Not that bad though. Over all i still like them but i may go to a 27" next. Oh, my 29.5" swamplites actually measure 28.5" and i do not have a lift kit, but im thinking about it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
ive got the 29.5" swamplites. Performance is still good. I did smell a little bit of belt burning while climbing up some rocks on the trail. so im not sure if it was just a tough rocky section or the tires were putting that much more strain on the belt(in low gear) but im not new to riding so im gonna say it was the tire size causing it. They do rub when full turn on the inner fender. Not that bad though. Over all i still like them but i may go to a 27" next. Oh, my 29.5" swamplites actually measure 28.5" and i do not have a lift kit, but im thinking about it.
Do you mean your 28in swamplites? Because i was under the impression that 28 is the largest they make, I can't find anything bigger on interco's website. My buddy has a honda pioneer with the 28in and they have the 1.5in lugs.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes the Growlers are an aggressive knobby. Pitbull make an even more aggressive knobby called the Rocker but they're pretty hard core for my type of riding. Surprisingly the Growlers are not rough on pavement and I attribute that to the fact that they are radials. In my experience radial tires tend to ride better on hard surfaces and don't telegraph their tread types nearly as much as non-radials.

I have a buddy who bought his WC4 used from a guy who put Gorilla Silverback tires on it. Although the machine was in perfect shape (low miles and never nudded) it felt like it was completely broken after driving it 10 feet. Those tires are for posers, idiots or guys who ONLY do deep mud. Lol.

I've got Maxxis Bighorns on my quad. They perform very well for me, hardpack, loose dirt, breaking trail and moderate hills. And they are radials and ride quite nice even on pavememt.

RLW
I have the growlers on my RZR. I great tire. Stiff sidewall even for a 6 ply(you can order them in an 8 ply now). So stiff they get a flat spot when sitting too long on the garage floor. They wear great so far and a bit heavy compared to other tires its size. For rocky,light mud,hard pack trails i personally think they are one of the best. To me and its only my opinion, the big horn tire isnt as good. the rubber seems more forgiving on the pitbulls which helps grip the rocks better than bighorns. Big horns rubber seems too hard to me. You wont get that aggressive ride because the lugs are close enough together, the farther apart the lug,the rougher the ride. As mentioned the Pitbull Rockers are more aggressive but i dont think the growlers are outperformed by them by much at all. My friend has the rockers and we've both gone the same places. Another friend had the bighorns on his Maverick from factory,wore them out and now has the growlers and agreed,they are a much better tire.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Not on a Trailcat but I've been really pleased with the performance and wear characteristics of my Pitbull Growler XORs. Not sure what they would be like in the kind of rock you have in the East coast DRock, but I suspect they would do well. They are heavy, but any 8-ply will be.

However for my type of riding on hardpack, some gravel and steep hardpack hills I've been thinking a light truck tire might be good. Tough to find in a 14" and I don't want to move to 15". However General Grabber AT2 look good and Canadian Tire carries them in a 14". Worth a look.

RLW
Still debating on those coronados. I like the look, they remind me of my BFG KM2s on the truck and i can go anywhere with those so why couldnt i with coronados on a sxs. Only thing holding me back is that it never mentions mud in the equation. I have mud bugs right now and although i see a fair bit of mud i also do alot of hard pack and rock too so id like a more well rounded tire. Trail doesnt handle well on hard pack running mud bugs and they are wearing like shit in the front from being pushed around in the corners. I think it will be hard to find a set of 8 ply radials at that price again. Im sure as usual by the time i make up my mind they will be out of stock.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I looked at Coronados last year for a buddy who wanted new rubber. I was impressed and would personally consider them. I assume you've read the review on the RZR forums. Does suggest they may not be great in the mud, which is meaningless to me.

RLW

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Only real review i found was first when they came out. Didnt look promising based on that because they didnt have good luck, used lots of plugs. As for not being great in mud, well 4 30" tires spinning in the mud should get the job done regardless. Cant be no worse than stock was and i went anywhere i wanted with those too.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Must have misread that first time around, the plug issue was referring to the other tires he had. Site was so slow i know remember why i didnt read it all the first time. I do ride alot of rocky and stump infested terrain so i can see it being a decent fit for me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Based on member feedback and general research on the web I ended up ordering tires and wheels. This is what I ordered:

29x9x14 GBC Dirt Commander tires - Although the dirt commander has been out for years this tire size is new to the market and has only been sold for a couple weeks
14x7 - 5+2 offset STI HD5 Beadlocks

I should be getting tires and wheels shipped to me sometime next week and I will take photos as well as provide my feedback at that time.

Thanks to all who took part in this thread.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts