21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Tires and wheels came in today. Went with this package:

29x9x14 GBC Dirt Commander tires
14x7 STI HD5 beadlock wheels 5+2 offset

The Stock Rear wheel weighed 28.8 Pounds and the new tire and wheel weigh 42.2 pounds.
I put the new wheels on the machine with 2" wheel spacers to give a little wider stance which essentially makes it much more stable. It is at about 56" wide.

Not sure how performance will be affected however the issue with ground clearance has been resolved.

Here is what she looks like:

20150505_192640.jpg 20150505_195056.jpg 20150505_195413.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Looking good!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Went with 27s and wish i went with 30s. Would have gained additional ground clearance and the weight of the tires would mean i may not have had to mess with my clutch so much to get it all right. With my performance mods i was into the rev limiter alot and the heavier 30s would have lessened that effect. Plus bigger tires look cooler. As for ground clearance, good luck setting your shocks and having them maintain a ride height cause those springs are crap. Trail handles big tires pretty good with minimal powerloss. You are on the right track by going to a 14" rim, gives way more tire options and leaves you with less exposed sidewall when going with large tires. My vote is for the 29s over the 27s. My next set will be 30"

Did you have to do anything to the suspension by going to the 27's? Any spacers or change out of the arms or shocks?

·
Registered
655 Posts
DRock hasn't been on in years. I put 27 ITP Blackwater Evo's on my trail and I love them. Putting a set on my wifes machine this year. I did not have to change anything else, though I already have the Bandit spring upgrade.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Did you have to do anything to the suspension by going to the 27's? Any spacers or change out of the arms or shocks?
You don't need to do any mods for 27's, or 28's for that matter. But bandit or eq springs and Dalton clutch kit is best bang for your money with any tire size on the trail.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
27s with a clutch kit gets my vote. A little more ground clearance and about the same performance with the clutch kit.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts