Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good paddle tire/wheel combo for my 18 wildcat. How many paddles should I get, is 16 too many for the HP of the car? Should I go down in size from a 30x15 to a 28x14? That kind of stuff. I just don't want to get something that is for higher HP and stresses my belt too much.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Guessing you ride Glamis? Because what works for me where I dune and Glamis is completely different...A 28'' STU blaster would be a good tire since it measures closer to a 30'' than 28''. What you dont want is a tire that is to short so you are banging azz bad at full bump since the suspension was set up for a 30''+ tire.

I run the System 3 DS340 and it is a 14 paddle 31'' and works better than I could have ever dreamed for me but IMO it may be to much paddle for Glamis on a stock XX unless you have the ability to cut/trim/stagger the paddles to what would work best. If you have the money Skats are great as are Fullerton's new SandSport tires but thats if you wanna spend $1500-2000. GMZ Sand Stripper XL 10 paddle would be another tire that would work but have heard they are heavy.

·
Administrator
27,475 Posts
Sand's going to stress your belt no matter what. 16 paddles is way too many. 10, possibly 12 staggered. 12 staggered is equivalent to a 10 full blade. Stay with what your car runs, 15" wheel. What's your budget for wheels / tires? That's the really important question.

·
Administrator
27,475 Posts
Have you seen the new Methods? 409 now, 410 / 411 are coming shortly. Bead grip, but not a bead lock. Comes in a grayish/ silver or black. Very sharp wheel.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
If it were me I would run the System 3 SS360 in the 30". I was at Fullerton Sand Sports yesterday and they said it is a great tire for a non-turbo car. Those tires roll and float well and in my opinion create a lot less stress on the belt. In 4wd the front tires really help pull and move you through the turns. My friend has them on his X3 DS and they worked awesome. My other friend just got a set of the 32" for his X3 RS.

You don't want a paddle set up that is going to rob what precious hp you have with the Wildcat XX.

·
Registered
851 Posts
You can't go wrong with 28 STU's...

I have 30" sand drifters (14-1" paddles) and they do work good at lower pressure...but not as good as STU's....haven't run the STU's on my car yet..but driving and riding in other NA cars with them- they feel good...lighter. More $$$ though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have ran the stu 28" #2 and skat track 32" with staggered 10 paddle. Stu's did good but the skats are quite a bit better, I believe that is mostly do to weight the stu's were not heavy but not light either and the skat's are light.
I only measured the stu's with my arms lol but the skat's I actually weighed the front ruff buff with plain dwt wheels weigh 30 lbs and the rears 35 lbs stock wheel and tire weigh 50 lbs

·
Registered
851 Posts
Skats are very thin - hence the light weight...If you want to worry about flats hitting bushes.
I think STU's are a happy medium.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've never seen those before. I watched a few videos of them testing at Glamis. Should be a good all around sand tire. Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I’m really liking these Method 409’s as well. I’m consider the 15” with 5+5 for the rear and a 4+4 for the front.
Would this be a good off set, set up for sand tires?
Now I’m curios about the 410 and 411 you mentioned, didn’t find anything on an internet search for them.
Are they the same technology just a different style?

·
Administrator
27,475 Posts
I’m really liking these Method 409’s as well. I’m consider the 15” with 5+5 for the rear and a 4+4 for the front.
Would this be a good off set, set up for sand tires?
Now I’m curios about the 410 and 411 you mentioned, didn’t find anything on an internet search for them.
Are they the same technology just a different style?
Good offset, probably the only one available for them. That's what I have on my 406s.

Photos are out there. I'll see if I can find them later, going for a ride.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Skats are very thin - hence the light weight...If you want to worry about flats hitting bushes.
I think STU's are a happy medium.
I have ran skats on all my atv's for the last 15 years and 1 year on the wildcat, at st anthony, jericho and glamis. and have never punctured a tire (Knock on wood)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice looking car! So you have 14" wheels and don't have any clearance issues with brake calipers or the front upper A arms? What is the offset on front/rear? Are those 14 spoons on the rear? Sorry for all the questions. lol. New to this SxS thing and don't want to throw my money away on something that doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Nice looking car! So you have 14" wheels and don't have any clearance issues with brake calipers or the front upper A arms? What is the offset on front/rear? Are those 14 spoons on the rear? Sorry for all the questions. lol. New to this SxS thing and don't want to throw my money away on something that doesn't work for me.
here is what I ran on my XX
https://www.wildcatforums.net/forum/wildcat-parts-products-sale/93875-stu-paddles-wheels-sale.html

You run .100 thick 1/2” washers and no issues

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts