Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this "PTL" has been used on other Arctic Cats.
Does it work?
Does it cause problems?
What about when you increase the HP and Torque with a turbo? Does it slip more then?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Do you mean the Spike Load Dampener. If so yes a lot of the Thundercats and Mud Pro's and Prowlers have had to weld it, or replace it with a spool so I would expect that since the drive train is pretty much the same as the Thundercats ETC then it
will have to be inabled in the Wildcat also.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, AC is saying it is part of the rear diff and has been redesigned...

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I saw a video somewhere in which one of the engineers said they hired an extra engineer just for that thing by itself, his job was to redesign it to make sure it isn't a problem as it has been on the other Arctic Cats once big tires and more power is added.

With that said though all bets are off when you considerably raise the power, and as said above it can either be welded to not slip or a solid spool can be put in its place.

·
Registered
158 Posts
A spool locks the axles together. A spool or any other form of a locker does not address shockloading of the pinion gear as it tries to spin the ring gear. The Wildcat has a spool in the rearend.

To dampen the shock load to the pinion -- Wildcat must have incorporated a spring loaded clutch between the driveshaft and the pinion gear. I believe in Cliff's pic I can see a ribbed long tail section where the clutch would be housed.

If this is a true fact -- Like others .. .. I would like to defeat.

Lets hear how this has been done ..........

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would keep it unless you start having a problem with it slipping too much.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would keep it unless you start having a problem with it slipping too much.
Ya, in theory it sounds like a good idea. protecting the drive train from shock loads would be good.
but I wouldn't want it slipping if I gave it full throttle from a dead stop during a drag race or something like that...

·
Registered
158 Posts
There's more to this equasion - Let me put it in perspective ..........

One would never know when/if it slips. Even if the engine rev's and you don't move.

The Wildcat has 3 points of drive train slippage - 2 of which I will not except.

1st is the wet clutch. This must be eliminated.

2nd is the rearend clutch assembly -- What we've been talking about. This must be eliminated. I also "Think" it may be a wet clutch - Gear oil from the rear end. Like the wet clutch - When slippage occurs particals contanimate both the engine oil and rear gear oil. This must be eliminated.

The 3rd point of drivetrain slippage is the CVT itself. While this slippage can't be 100% eliminated - It can be addressed and I except this.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is the parts drawing for the 2012 PROWLER:

25 and 27 are the "clutch" inside the rear diff on it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I for one like the idea, while I have never broken an axle/CV on my RZR, I have numerous friends who have broken more than 1, so when I heard Wildcat had a rear end torque limiter, I was excited for the feature. Would rather slip than break any day.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks Cliff --

I comparing the exploded view with your above pic of the Wildcat rearend -- It looks like the Engineer extended the housing at the pinion -- In what I believe to be a larger clutch pack.

Just my theory ......... Now -- How to eliminate ??

·
Registered
508 Posts
So you know for sure what clutch setup its gonna come with?

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
The PTL is not a clutch it is a series of rings that sit in a drum similar to a spline shaft, except the splines are all rounded and the rings are spring-like pressing out into the rounded splines. If too much power arrives it "skips" the rounded splines until it is able to handle it. You will hear it when it happens. One solution is to cut a groove in the rings and then weld them up in 3 or 4 places around it, or replace it with a true splined setup (a spool).

Here is what it looks like welded:

PTL welded.jpg

·
Registered
329 Posts
It just amazes me what everyone is going to do to the Wildcat to improve it! Did I miss something here? Have you all recieved yours already? Did you all get an unlimited amount of time for your demo ride? Did your demo ride include dunes, trails, and rock crawling? How in the world do you already know what will need modified or replaced? For cryin out loud, nobody has one yet! I loved the Cat, and I have one on order. After I have had it awhile I may decide that it needs (or doesn't) something from the aftermarket. I'm as excited as everyone else to get mine but the only mod I'm planning for mine right now is 5 point belts. Everything else will come after I own it for awhile. Just my humble opinion, no offense intended, your mileage may vary.:)

Dwight

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
some people will leave them stock and not need mods...
some people will modify them right away and throw lots of HP at them, so that is why I was asking about this PTL device.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Clifford,
I like the idea of haveing the torque limiter. I just couldn't believe people wanting to weld it up without ever seeing how it worked. I would think anyone who's ever broken an axle or cv joint would welcome this.

Dwight

1 - 20 of 29 Posts