·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What license and or permits do we need for the wildcat trip in June

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
I see you're also from WI, so it's easy, unless SD changed something from last year. As long as you have a current WI registration sticker, all you'll need to buy is a Black Hills trail pass. I believe last year it was $20 for a 7-day pass and $25 for an annual pass. I've always purchased the annual pass. If you look back through last years thread about the get together, someone usually post a link to the SD DNR or Black Hills site to purchase a sticker. I've always waited and bought mine when I got there. I believe Wild Bills campground had them right on site or you can go to the gas station just up the road from them.

Reactions: mtgott

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that sounds good. I have made my reservations at wild bills from the 14th to 19th . what area are you from I'm from walworth county thank you for information . Going to wyoming from there just have to find what I need there .

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
that sounds good. I have made my reservations at wild bills from the 14th to 19th . what area are you from I'm from walworth county thank you for information . Going to wyoming from there just have to find what I need there .
Wyoming requires an ORV sticker that you can purchase online : Wyoming State Parks, Historic Sites, & Trails - ORV Permits - Trails :I still have to get mine for this year and will let you know what the site is as soon as I confirm. Just a heads up about trails in Wyoming, all ATV trails are restricted to 50" wide, with pipe, rock or some other form of barriers as gates and any bridges are 50" wide.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so where can over 50" wide ride on .do I have to register it for a license to ride on roads ?

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I believe that with the ORV sticker, which just cost me $15.80, that you can ride on forest service roads, fire roads and any non ATV trail. With a licensed unit you can drive on any non interstate road. Go to the website I posted and look at the maps available. The restrictions apply only to the designated ATV trails, there are lost of other trails to ride but still require the ORV sticker and if riding in the Black Hills close to the Wyoming border a WY ORV sticker is a must if you find yourself on the Wyoming side. Hope this helps and if I can answer any other questions let me know. Two years ago, four of us here in Lusk rode our SxS's from here to Hill City, SD and back on county and forest service roads on being on paved roads for approx 20 miles of pavement each way. All our rigs are licensed for road travel btw.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to Dubois wy after SD guess I'll have to get license for the road will that be on the same sight you gave me

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I do not believe that Wyoming issues a temp license, all I have found is that you have to register your UTV/ATV in the county of Wyoming that you live and license it there. That being said, you can obtain a South Dakota license while in the Black Hills and that plate would allow you to drive your unit on Wyoming roads. Contact DeanTeck here and he can tell you what process he went thru to get a license for his Colorado rig in South Dakota, I don't believe it was much of a chore and he did it after he arrived in the Hills for a ride back when our rides started.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thank you

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I had another thought on this that you might look in to, contact the county treasurer for Fremont County here in Wyoming and get the facts. I am sure it is cheaper to license the UTV in South Dakota rather than here in Wyoming.

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
I live in Dunn county, which just in the last couple years started forming a trail system which includes alot of road, but at least we have some areas to ride close to home now.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
county doesn't have any trails in it all the other county's have road trails there ok but I lie off road trails I ride Black River falls a few times a year

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I need to look at what I'm typing before I send it

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
I have a permanent camper spot at the Y-Go-By between Gorden and Barnes in northern WI. So, the wife and I do a lot of riding up there.

Reactions: toyman

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
What license and or permits do we need for the wildcat trip in June
click on the link below for the trail permits for utv's...if you have atv's the link will be below the utv link...permits are $25 plus $3.99 shipping if wanting it mailed to you...i just ordered our permit...

UTV / Side-by-Side Off-Road Permit | Black Hills & Badlands - South Dakota (blackhillsbadlands.com)

ATV Off-Road Permit | Black Hills & Badlands - South Dakota (blackhillsbadlands.com)

also, we titled/registered/tagged/insured(changed from colorado to south dakota) our sxs in 2018 for the clowder that year...take your title/registration to the lawrence county courthouse in deadwood, sd...took about a half hour to get everything done...you do not need to be a residence of south dakota to complete this transaction...90 Sherman Street, Deadwood, SD 57732...we renew our decal every year...

Reactions: toyman and roylohr

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's great information. I just have to get the Wyoming permit's information sight's now thank you

1 - 16 of 16 Posts