Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lots of play in the bar the tie rods attach to. This is in the steering rack. Can't really call it a rack and pinion can I? Anyways is there any way I can tighten it up? I don't want to rip into it if it can't be done.

·
Administrator
27,972 Posts
Did that felt pad shift in there? That seems to happen a lot, then you get some play.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The bushings go really fast. Like 200-300 miles fast. No way to tighten that part up without replacing bushings or slider.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
First question... how many miles on your machine? Second has it ever been replaced before? If not and your miles Is up over 1000 probably need to replace these parts 0405-457support bars (2) and rack assy 0405-888 (1) kinda pricey but its the solid way to go. If you have any questions give me shout. AJ

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
The guide rods and bushings are undersized for the job they're supposed to do. The rods and bushings take on dirt and get sloppy. There should have been a rubber bellows to keep the dirt out or at least scraper seals like on dirt bike forks. The bushings take a lot of hits in the rocks and are simply not up to the task. (had the rods been twice as long and the stance of the bushings much farther apart it could have been a "robust design").

Mine got sloppy right away - got a new one on warrantee and is still sloppy. Makes for play in the steering wheel but works ok.

Yes, it is a rack and there is a pinion in there. I'm hoping this will be another one of the parts that will no longer exist when the "all new" Cat comes out. :p

·
Registered
514 Posts
My 14X has 872 miles on it and has been doing the same thing for a couple hundred miles now

·
Registered
486 Posts
I was hoping the aftermarket would come up with better rods or bushings for us. I replaced the slider and rods on my 2012 with the allegedly new improved part numbers. A short time later I was back to the same amount of play. The new parts while a bit pricey are not a fix for the problem :(

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
^^
AJ,

What say you? some polys in the slider rack and a dust boot to cover it might be a good option :cool:

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
They normally loosen up to the point the machine is hard to drive a straight line with causing excessive tire wear. The old cast iron ones are rebuild able the new Aluminum's are not.

·
Registered
486 Posts
So, I noticed my felt pad-thing has left the building, m.i.a. Some of my play may be coming from that gap it looks like. Guess I better get a new felt thing. Or is there a better fix for that?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How about going to a rzr setup and flipping the front hubs around, then running the tie rods behind the axles instead of in front like they should be.

·
Registered
756 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
You can not flip the the spindles as the caster would become positive and cause major pushing and dive under braking.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I have been working on 4340 nitrited rods that will have a 92 rockwell hardness. The bushings are the real issue as they are really thin and machine work would be required to go with larger alloy bushings. The stock bushings have what appears to be a very soft teflon/graphite lining that wears out in a very short time making them sloppy. After that the steering binds and makes it very difficult to steer when your not moving or trying to negotiate slow tight spots .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts