Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and looking for some help. My 18XX has a loud popping noise and I can't tell if it's front or back. Do I just remove the sway bars like some are saying or bushings or??? And do you remove front and rear ones??
We ride the mountains, black hills, and sand dunes
I have 1800 miles on it now and noise is getting worse.
And by the way, WE LOVE THIS THING!!!
Only repair has been 1 axle

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
It would be best to remove sway bar links from both ends. If you just remove the front, your 'cat will oversteer. If you just remove the rear, it will push. Regardless, don't go charging into a corner until you have explored the new balance.

I suspect you could remove one link from the front and rear and be able to tell if the pop is coming from the sway bars - the bar will no longer be loaded, it will just pivot with suspension movement from whatever side you leave installed. There is some risk that the remaining link has some play in it that was making the noise, but will no longer be stressed.

Reactions: mtgott

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be best to remove sway bar links from both ends. If you just remove the front, your 'cat will oversteer. If you just remove the rear, it will push. Regardless, don't go charging into a corner until you have explored the new balance.

I suspect you could remove one link from the front and rear and be able to tell if the pop is coming from the sway bars - the bar will no longer be loaded, it will just pivot with suspension movement from whatever side you leave installed. There is some risk that the remaining link has some play in it that was making the noise, but will no longer be stressed.
Thank you
I will try it out

·
Registered
70 Posts
Common loud popping noises are from the sway bar and the shock at full extension. As mbrandt said disconnect the sway bar. You can update to the 2019 sway bar. I believe the kit was less than 60. The only real difference is the diameter of the bars and the 2019 has "stops" that are welded on the bar a which are located to the inside of the sway bar bushing, thus eliminating the bar from going side to side. Now that I have updated mine to the 2019 it would have been just as easy to weld two round, stop/limit pieces on the 2018 sway bar and it would accomplish the same as the 2019 update (less the larger diameter of course)

The noise could also be coming from the shock slamming at full extension. It makes a very solid-unnerving clunk at full droop.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
You did the right thing by upgrading: sway bars are a torsion spring with arms on either end. Welding a spring is generally a no-no - the properties that make it a spring instead of just another piece of steel are altered by the heat of welding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Common loud popping noises are from the sway bar and the shock at full extension. As mbrandt said disconnect the sway bar. You can update to the 2019 sway bar. I believe the kit was less than 60. The only real difference is the diameter of the bars and the 2019 has "stops" that are welded on the bar a which are located to the inside of the sway bar bushing, thus eliminating the bar from going side to side. Now that I have updated mine to the 2019 it would have been just as easy to weld two round, stop/limit pieces on the 2018 sway bar and it would accomplish the same as the 2019 update (less the larger diameter of course)

The noise could also be coming from the shock slamming at full extension. It makes a very solid-unnerving clunk at full droop.
Pretty sure it is not the shocks, it is doing it on smaller bumps or sways. After reading the replies I'm pretty sure it is the sway bar. It will pop when leaning to the left and it pops again when it straightens back out..
Thanks everyone for the replies!!!
Heading to Northern CO to ride and want it fixed before I go!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and looking for some help. My 18XX has a loud popping noise and I can't tell if it's front or back. Do I just remove the sway bars like some are saying or bushings or??? And do you remove front and rear ones??
I uncoupled the front lower sway bar Links got rid of hammering pop I can swing them back down after I pull off the zip ties and bolt them back if I need to I left the bolts in the bottom so they are always there. Mountain trails,fast desert, lotsa rocks Northern Nevada. 2018XX

·
Registered
16 Posts
I replaced the front stock sway bar with the 2019 sway bar. It's much lighter build and it totally eliminated the popping while maintaining good handling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts