Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any company in today’s market understands the power of social media - If enough of us post on Arctic Cat's ATV Facebook site asking for them to explain the clutch issue and the lack of power - They are more than likely going to respond..

Arctic Cat - ATVs | Facebook

I already posted the below (Copy and pasted from someone else’s post on this site) - Create your own similar post...I've also e-mailed their investor division advising the potential for sales to plummet if they don't address the issues currently being discussed all over the net...

Here's what I posted:

"When AC was in Utah (Sept) testing the wildcat they were burning up belts. There test course didn't involve many hills, yet they were burning up belts, calling the factory to get more belts.
During the demo rides in Utah (Oct) 5 of the 6 Wildcats burned up belts "duning" on Friday, prior to Saturdays demo. It was like a panic situation! The sun was setting and the public was coming in the mornin...g, machine after machine towed back and where do we get belts? The following morning the course was set so as not to attack any hills!
Now it seems as there are only a few machines out there and there still burning up belts in the sand. I was hoping after testing they would fix the problem, and really hoping after demos they would cure it. They were trying to tell everybody it was just a shim missing and not to worry!! But NO. Seems like it will be a real problem for us "duners".
"

What's the real story? Is this true? Did Arctic Cat do anything to fix this issue prior to releasing the Wildcats to the public? Thank you!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Rumors that I am sure are true since they are on the internet. Honestly, with a wet clutch system, I doubt any belts burned up in those quantities if any. I drove them up hills, and I watched the AC guys drive them up hills, carve dunes, etc etc, and they sure as hell didn't burn up a belt. If internet rumors were going to force their hand, it would be happening, but it's not going to, either buy one and mod it with aftermarket, or don't. Choice is yours. I have never driven a stock machine and left it stock in anything offroad, they all had to be improved in some fashion to suit my needs. Same is true for most other enthusiasts. It's not possible to make the perfect machine for everyone's wants and needs. You just build the most economical and solid machine you can while meeting regulations and restrictions while trying to maintain reliability and quality.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Sure Hope You posted On The Right AC Face Book & Not Some Dealer Like The Last Dumb Ass That Started Complaning
And Wanted To Prove His Point

Reactions: chia

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure Hope You posted On The Right AC Face Book & Not Some Dealer Like The Last Dumb Ass That Started Complaning
And Wanted To Prove His Point
I did - Facebook link came directly from the bottom of Arctic Cat's ATV site:

Arctic Cat

So many people on this site have said I wish they did this i wish they did that - Tell it and post it where they will see it if you really want them to know.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rumors that I am sure are true since they are on the internet. Honestly, with a wet clutch system, I doubt any belts burned up in those quantities if any. I drove them up hills, and I watched the AC guys drive them up hills, carve dunes, etc etc, and they sure as hell didn't burn up a belt. If internet rumors were going to force their hand, it would be happening, but it's not going to, either buy one and mod it with aftermarket, or don't. Choice is yours. I have never driven a stock machine and left it stock in anything offroad, they all had to be improved in some fashion to suit my needs. Same is true for most other enthusiasts. It's not possible to make the perfect machine for everyone's wants and needs. You just build the most economical and solid machine you can while meeting regulations and restrictions while trying to maintain reliability and quality.
That's nice to here that you didnt see any issues...Johnny's post was an eye opener for me personally- Even if he's the only one who has made these claims, in the end, he still did. He's the only one so far that had something to lose if he posted something negative, yet he still did - What does that tell you? It tells me he's a good guy and is trying to let people know before they spend 1,000's and end up disappointed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I posted the Utah info, and it is not a rumor.
Johnny's post was exactly what I witnessed both times in Utah, same climbing ability and same issues with belts.
I have had many discussions with my dealer about this. In his office when he called an engineer at AC. End result confirmed from him, NO changes needed to clutching, even after BAD test results.
If you read the entire post, I was looking for a solution!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I posted the Utah info, and it is not a rumor.
Johnny's post was exactly what I witnessed both times in Utah, same climbing ability and same issues with belts.
I have had many discussions with my dealer about this. In his office when he called an engineer at AC. End result confirmed from him, NO changes needed to clutching, even after BAD test results.
If you read the entire post, I was looking for a solution!!
Thank for the info - That's what I am hoping to do too by posting on their site...Find a solution. If they understand they could potentially lose hundreds if not thousands of customers if what you and others have said are true, maybe they will do something about it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Wasnt the burnt belts subject to question due to aftermarket clutch kit testing?

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's nice to here that you didnt see any issues...Johnny's post was an eye opener for me personally- Even if he's the only one who has made these claims, in the end, he still did. He's the only one so far that had something to lose if he posted something negative, yet he still did - What does that tell you? It tells me he's a good guy and is trying to let people know before they spend 1,000's and end up disappointed.
Johnny let EPI do experimental R&D on his machine!
He did not put that in his post. EPI's post was the one that let that cat out of the bag.:pat:

Then wants to complain how after 102miles his belt was shredded, and would not climb hill's.
The clutch was opened up and had aftermarket un-proven or tested parts in it.

Sounds like Arctic Cats fault to me:werd:

I asked last night why he did not mention EPI in his thread of his very detailed day and play by play of events.
Went to check for the answer this morning and post removed. And a new one talking about how it idles and his led lights.

Lost respect in my book, but it's a short book anyway:p

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Riddler if you would have read his posts you would realize why he didn't mention the testing. They came to him and asked to do some side by side testing with his unit stock and theirs modified. The modified one outran his so they had an idea of how well performance was improved. Then they tested a couple set ups on his to see how he liked it. It wasn't his story to tell. He didn't know if the EPI guys wanted him to say anything about their product yet. Did you want him to outline an hour by hour summary of everything he did for the entire trip? He did plenty of riding with the stock setup. He had plenty of time to be disappointed. Its guys like you who got all butt hurt about his opinions that made him pull his original thread. People were sending him IMs and bitching like little girls. Maybe you would like to be the one we all run our Wildcat complaints through so you can filter out what you don't want to show up on the site.....................

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Personally I think the crucifiction is unwarranted by all. Everyone is entitled to their opinion plain and simple. You don't have to agree or disagree with anyone. I didn't agree with his post but I am not upset at him over his opinion. I think it was childish on all sides personally and I probably screw around at least as much as Tx does! lol. Keep it fun, keep the information coming. Lets find solutions to problems not be the problem!:soapbox:

Now for those of you that are going to be out their at glamis in Feb bring me alcohol! Haha.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Riddler if you would have read his posts you would realize why he didn't mention the testing. They came to him and asked to do some side by side testing with his unit stock and theirs modified. The modified one outran his so they had an idea of how well performance was improved. Then they tested a couple set ups on his to see how he liked it. It wasn't his story to tell. He didn't know if the EPI guys wanted him to say anything about their product yet. Did you want him to outline an hour by hour summary of everything he did for the entire trip? He did plenty of riding with the stock setup. He had plenty of time to be disappointed. Its guys like you who got all butt hurt about his opinions that made him pull his original thread. People were sending him IMs and bitching like little girls. Maybe you would like to be the one we all run our Wildcat complaints through so you can filter out what you don't want to show up on the site.....................
Hour by hour summary isnt necessary but if your going to have a so called "honest" review of the wildcat and how it burnt up the belt and talk bad about it then not even mention you were not even running the stock clutch setup and testing some other aftermarket stuff then you tend to wonder in the future if that persons telling you the whole truth about others things.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Hour by hour summary isnt necessary but if your going to have a so called "honest" review of the wildcat and how it burnt up the belt and talk bad about it then not even mention you were not even running the stock clutch setup and testing some other aftermarket stuff then you tend to wonder in the future if that persons telling you the whole truth about others things.
I don't even know that his clutch was not back to the stock settings when the belt went. Did anyone even ask him, or all you all just assuming? I had the Prowler 1000 I experimented with all kinds of clutch set UPS and never blew a belt. I never tried to keep up with an XP through the dunes either. Who gives a crap about the damn belt. Everything blows a belt. Give a crap about the fact that the wildcat wouldn't keep up.......

·
Vendor
508 Posts
Look it's just one persons opinion on a very narrow aspect of a UTV's overall ability, he also said it had the best suspension on a UTV he'd ever driven. Everyone is going ballistic over one silly post, we drove the thing in big dunes for a weekend and came away with huge smiles. Out in the open desert where we do 75% of our riding, the Wildcat is going to dominate in stock trim. We raced our stock suspended XP on a long fast whooped out trail for a few miles and left it in the dust with a battered driver and then blew the XP's belt on the way back on the same trail. I agree, if your strictly a hill shooter or big duner, it needs some clutch work I think because on flat ground they are real close. From all indications in the Moab video, it looks like it's going to be an excellent technical trail machine and the comfort from that suspension and power steering is going to be so sweet for trail riding. I do agree, AC would have knocked it out of the park if they made sure it matched the XP in straight line performance. Barring the things falling apart on us and based on 3 days of riding in the desert which everyone needs to take into consideration, I feel pretty comfortable saying out of the box it's the best all around pure sport UTV available, bar none. The clutching and air pump guru's will take care of it's sand hillclimb abilities quite adequately I'm sure.

·
Vendor
1,629 Posts

WE have a winner .... Thank You

·
Registered
161 Posts
Look it's just one persons opinion on a very narrow aspect of a UTV's overall ability, he also said it had the best suspension on a UTV he'd ever driven. Everyone is going ballistic over one silly post, we drove the thing in big dunes for a weekend and came away with huge smiles. Out in the open desert where we do 75% of our riding, the Wildcat is going to dominate in stock trim. We raced our stock suspended XP on a long fast whooped out trail for a few miles and left it in the dust with a battered driver and then blew the XP's belt on the way back on the same trail. I agree, if your strictly a hill shooter or big duner, it needs some clutch work I think because on flat ground they are real close. From all indications in the Moab video, it looks like it's going to be an excellent technical trail machine and the comfort from that suspension and power steering is going to be so sweet for trail riding. I do agree, AC would have knocked it out of the park if they made sure it matched the XP in straight line performance. Barring the things falling apart on us and based on 3 days of riding in the desert which everyone needs to take into consideration, I feel pretty comfortable saying out of the box it's the best all around pure sport UTV available, bar none. The clutching and air pump guru's will take care of it's sand hillclimb abilities quite adequately I'm sure.
Bob- This is a nice counterpoint to Johnny's original post. It's good to hear different experiences for sure. I also appreciated Johnny's viewpoint.
That said, what do we know about Arctic Cat quality and dependability? There was a guy on here named TeamArtic, I believe, that spoke pretty badly about AC. I know that is just 1 opinion. When I was more into quads I would follow the ATV magazines when they did their shootouts and AC was always toward the bottom of the pack. I had a low opinion of them from that. I also never saw any AC quads anywhere where I rode. Of course this is all in the past, I know. Too bad that JD Powers doesn't research the ATV market.

What are people's experience with long term reliability with AC products?

·
Vendor
508 Posts
Bob- This is a nice counterpoint to Johnny's original post. It's good to hear different experiences for sure. I also appreciated Johnny's viewpoint.
That said, what do we know about Arctic Cat quality and dependability? There was a guy on here named TeamArtic, I believe, that spoke pretty badly about AC. I know that is just 1 opinion. When I was more into quads I would follow the ATV magazines when they did their shootouts and AC was always toward the bottom of the pack. I had a low opinion of them from that. I also never saw any AC quads anywhere where I rode. Of course this is all in the past, I know. Too bad that JD Powers doesn't research the ATV market.

What are people's experience with long term reliability with AC products?
Not everybody is going to spend all their time doing the big dunes at Glamis, in fact that's probably a minority. People shouldn't be scared away by one persons experience and it wasn't even a stock machine. As I've mentioned, ours ran worse with the VRoll paddles on it, so we need to broaden our vision here a little bit. We ran some 7 paddle skats off a Rhino on our XP and it just wasted energy spinning them, really give us little improvement over the stock knobbies, but those same paddles we ran on our Commander and the results were dramatically better. So all I'm saying is it's silly to have a firestorm over one persons one weekend experience in a very limited area of performance testing.... Honestly have never owned an Arctic Cat before this one, but have never seen one that interested me until this one. I have some buddies who do and they seem to be happy with them, but that's obviously a very limited data set to draw conclusions from. Seems I've heard more negative things about the Prowler than I have positive to be honest. I'm also concerned that my dealer told me they've had issues with AC and parts availability in the past, so we'll have to see how that goes. I've been careful to say that reliability is an unknown at this point and could have an impact on the overall success of the Wildcat. Only time will tell...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not everybody is going to spend all their time doing the big dunes at Glamis, in fact that's probably a minority. People shouldn't be scared away by one persons experience and it wasn't even a stock machine. As I've mentioned, ours ran worse with the VRoll paddles on it, so we need to broaden our vision here a little bit. We ran some 7 paddle skats off a Rhino on our XP and it just wasted energy spinning them, really give us little improvement over the stock knobbies, but those same paddles we ran on our Commander and the results were dramatically better. So all I'm saying is it's silly to have a firestorm over one persons one weekend experience in a very limited area of performance testing.... Honestly have never owned an Arctic Cat before this one, but have never seen one that interested me until this one. I have some buddies who do and they seem to be happy with them, but that's obviously a very limited data set to draw conclusions from. Seems I've heard more negative things about the Prowler than I have positive to be honest. I'm also concerned that my dealer told me they've had issues with AC and parts availability in the past, so we'll have to see how that goes. I've been careful to say that reliability is an unknown at this point and could have an impact on the overall success of the Wildcat. Only time will tell...
Bob, you are going to have to stop with these rational posts! This is not what people on the forum want. Please find something you didn't like about the wildcat and then remind us about every other post. :D

All kidding aside, it is refreshing to see some other points of view which actually cast a much better light on the abilities of the wildcat.

·
Vendor
508 Posts
Bob, you are going to have to stop with these rational posts! This is not what people on the forum want. Please find something you didn't like about the wildcat and then remind us about every other post. :D

All kidding aside, it is refreshing to see some other points of view which actually cast a much better light on the abilities of the wildcat.
Well I don't like the stock tires and wheels or the clutching under some conditions, but we in the past have always changed away from the OEM offering in those two area's anyway and it seems many others do as well. The muffler seems very large and heavy, we'll have a Muzzy unit on there in no time. Frame construction, suspension, steering, ergonomics are easily at the head of the class in my opinion. I was kind of undecided on the looks until I saw it in person, now I really like the looks, but the only look I'm really concerned about is the one from behind the steering wheel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts