21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Yes:p

·
Registered
97 Posts
That's effing great! The nearest cat dealer that can do warranty work on this thing is 50 miles away! I don't even have 50 miles on the machine yet and it's effing broke!

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
I'm about 50 miles away from mine to. And yes it works great.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
There Is A Fuse For It Have You Check That ?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm not overly impressed with mine either. I was thinking of test driving another one at the dealer just compare it to mine. I do know it works though. I tried it with the key off and key on thing the first day I got it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I havent goten my cat yet but i hate to hear about these problems. I just hope the steering is not to light when i do get mine i like a little more feed back when riding at speed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you put too much demand on the power steering like forcing the steering wheel in deep ruts, the EPS will overload and shut down resulting in a error code. The great thing with the Wildcat's EPS system is that when you turn the ignition off and then on again the EPS will reset and start working again if there are no other problems with the power steering.

·
Registered
621 Posts
If you put too much demand on the power steering like forcing the steering wheel in deep ruts, the EPS will overload and shut down resulting in a error code. The great thing with the Wildcat's EPS system is that when you turn the ignition off and then on again the EPS will reset and start working again if there are no other problems with the power steering.
If you thought your steering wasn't working before, it will after doing this (above). If nothing changes, something is fubared. Great that you mentioned this for people who just bought a Cat or haven't experienced the error code.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I purchased my cat this past february, the first couple of rides it was great, ever since the steering is incredibly stiff, will not rebound, what I mean is after turning the steering wheel and letting it go, the wheel just stays in that position whether I'm going high speed or low speed. I have had it in to the dealership--they say no problems. It just doesn't show a code--ever. I have driven sxs without power steering, they have to be 30 times easier than my cat. It would make since when turning the wheel from the center position, there would have to be some light force applied, but you should be able to let the steering wheel go and it center itself. At this point, I don't know what to do. Some of you guys just have commented on mud in the steering somewhere, where exactly are talking about? Is it in the curved flex shaft from the steering wheel to the electric motor? Also, I'm sure everyone knows by now there has been a notice issued about loosening all the nuts/bolts on the rack, etc..to let the system back into its normal position, I had this done, still no fix. Any ideas please let me know, Thanks!

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Try putting some graphite lube on those brass rods that run in and out of the steering box. Turn it all the way to one side, lube both and then turn it all the way to the other way and lube the other sides. Your steering will improve 1000 fold.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
They don't return to center even when working correctly.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Dropped off my cat at dealer for update kit. He asked how my steering was doing. He said where the steering shaft goes into the steering unit by the u bolt that it binds up and they have been shimming it to straighten it better and clearance the u bolt some. I wasn't looking at the cat so I only have a vague idea what he was saying. He also said you need to lube into the shaft at top end that these 2 things have made a huge difference on the steering

·
Registered
6 Posts
to all with power steer problem, cat has yet to realize that the true issue is in the rac itself,not shaft binding or any other crap.inside the rack is a long bar w teeth (the rack) this has a set screw and end screws to keep it in constant mesh w pinion gear.when turned all way in one direction in gets slope and tries to ride overteeth causing bindage and over torquing unit,cat has no idea what some of p.w.steering codes mean anyway. adjust rack backlash and pw steer unit will live!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
mr. jackazzfarmer, your exactly correct, I adjusted the rack on a chevy pickup that I used to own. We'll should I say, I over-adjusted the mesh, it had a lock nut with an adjusting screw in the middle of it. When over adjusting, the steering felt EXACTLY the same as my wildcat does, extremely jerky, would not rebound back to center. I feel like I am constantly fighting the steering. So my next question to you, can you give detailed instructions how to adjust the rack? Please! Thanks alot, Ed
'

·
Registered
19 Posts
The binding source is where the 2 brass colored rods pass thru the steering carriage (cast iron block or the newer version aluminum block) inside the steering carriage are 4 bushings that ride on the brass colored rods and I'm finding that dirt, mud and debris is finding it's way inside these bushings causing them to wear out prematurely and that will create misalignment of the steering carriage relative to the brass colored rods, when this happens the carriage binds up hard enough to keep you from being able to turn the steering wheel. a temporary fix is to shoot some lubricant on the rods and steering carriage allowing you to steer once again until the lube dries up and it locks up again. I have replaced these bushings (4 of them) a couple times and this worked fine until they became worn out again, arctic cat did instal rubber seals next to the bushings but they don't keep the crap from working it's way into the bushings. My solution was to install a onboard lubricating system by using a machining oiler that is often found on milling machines and etc. I then drilled oil galleys into the steering carriage and plumbed a pressurized oil line to the oil galley that would provide lubricant between the bushings. This is just a temporary fix until Arctic Cat designs a better system but for now my oiler works just fine, I give the oil pump one shot of oil and that usually will last all day and keep my steering lubed up and that also helps with keeping the crud from getting into the bushings in the first place.

·
Registered
23 Posts
to all with power steer problem, cat has yet to realize that the true issue is in the rac itself,not shaft binding or any other crap.inside the rack is a long bar w teeth (the rack) this has a set screw and end screws to keep it in constant mesh w pinion gear.when turned all way in one direction in gets slope and tries to ride overteeth causing bindage and over torquing unit,cat has no idea what some of p.w.steering codes mean anyway. adjust rack backlash and pw steer unit will live!!!
So Mr. Jackazzfarmer, if you would b so kind as to fill us in on how to adjust the rack

21 - 40 of 44 Posts