Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening guys. I'm new in this forum and i need some help from your side. I own a Arctic Cat Wildcat 4 2013 and the steering become very hard to turn. I suppose that the steering pump its the issue and i want to know few thinks.

1. i Should buy a new one or there is places were i can fix it?
2. I so a kit from PACE https://paceoffroad.net/product/wild-cat-steering-cable-delete-kit if i will install this one the steering will be more soft even if the pump not working? There is somebody here who use this kit?
3. Were is the best Place to buy a new steering pump or a use one?

Thank you guys for you time. All the best

·
Registered
151 Posts
The Cats don’t have power steering pumps, they are electric power steering. Try checking the fuse. electrical connectors, and inspect the rack for debris or damage.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
There are a lot of threads about 1000/X steering. Rather than regurgitate that info in detail, I'll just summarize some of the common stuff. First, you might go to ajswildcataccessories.com and find the videos on 1000/X steering. You'll get a better idea of how it all fits together. It is a somewhat complex system.

As Thor posted, it is an electric/electronic system. You can used one of the battery saving features to determine if it is working or not. If you turn on the ignition and do not start the Wildcat, the computer will cut power to the steering after a short while. So turn on the ignition, get a feel for how hard it is to make the front wheels steer, and then wait until the gauge cluster flashes something about the EPS turning off. If the steering gets heavier at that point, your problem is not in the power steering portion. If there is no difference, figure out why the power steering module never turned on (fuses, etc).

The felt pad that goes between the slider and the steering box detaches from the slider and gets wadded up, increasing the force required to steer. That seems to happen very quickly in mud or muddy conditions and not often (or not at all) for cars that just get used in dry conditions.

The slider moves back and forth on two rods. The bushings in the slider body can wear out and allow the slider to bind. AJ has also found that there are rods that are not properly "square". The main thing for you to determine is if the slider has a lot of play versus the rods. If it does, it will need to be rebuilt or replaced. My wear was all in the bushings, so new bushings and seals (cheap!) returned mine to buttery-smooth.

The rack and pinion steering box could also be the culprit. AC doesn't think the box is user-rebuildable and does not sell any parts for it. If you sweet-talk AJ, he might sell you a couple of gaskets. Then you can dis-assemble, re-grease, etc. The grease in my '15 had dried out terribly, so I suspect your '13 would be even worse. I re-greased mine (and added zerks so I can add grease as required) and made a repair unrelated to steering effort. I'm very happy with the results.

AJ has re-engineered the steering box (what he does goes WAAAAAAAAAY beyond repairing), but it ain't cheap. There is also a guy that sells a weld-in mount and steering rack that replaces the steering box and slider. You can find his stuff in the Wildcat Riders Facebook group.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you guys for the advice's. Today i tried in the garage all the tricks. When the ignition it's ON the steering its hart. The rack and pinion its very clean and well maintained so i think the problem its the EPS. I want to ask one more thing. There is somebody who use Pace cable delete kit and can confirm that the steering its soft even if the EPS its Off? Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
The Pace kit is not intended to be a substitute for power steering. It just replaces the flex cable, which might add 5% to the amount of effort normally required to steer. In other words, unless you can determine that your flex cable has failed, don't expect the Pace kit to fix anything.

You've told us the steering is hard when the ignition is on. Is it the same effort when the ignition is off? If yes, then the problem is almost certainly the EPS.

Reactions: izom
1 - 5 of 5 Posts