Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I really need some guidance. I am looking at a really nice 14 4X at a great price with some realy nice accessories. However after more research the starter gear issue has me worried. It seems in speaking to a few reputable folks that this is very common almost a....... not "if" but "when" situation. Warranty on used is 1500 for 3 yrs I would be buying this machine from MLS. I was going to wait on a new one but when this deal popped up I reconsidered. Really stuck should I buy new and slowly get my accessories with peace of mind in a new machine with the current updates or buy the used 4 X and save a little on accessories but always have that what if question in the back of my head. Help me make a wise decision guys. Also interest rates on new vs used are much better another factor to think about. It's alot of money and I want it to be right for my family to enjoy it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I think if the machine is starting easily that it's not an issue. If you get any "kick back" when starting or shutting down, then I'd be worried. Upgrading to the new starter/gear will help some.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Talk the dealer into putting on the starter gear mod as part of the deal... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
My 14 never had that issue much to my chagrin. Kept hoping it would break while I was under warranty so I could get a new engine for free. Have MLS do the upgrade and you should be fine. I have ridden with probably 40 Wildcats one time or another, and I only know 1 guy that had that issue. Happened while I was there, and it was shocking when we figured out what was wrong with the machine. I guess it wold come down to how much of a discount are you talking about.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think if the machine is starting easily that it's not an issue. If you get any "kick back" when starting or shutting down, then I'd be worried. Upgrading to the new starter/gear will help some.
yeah I have read mixed reviews on that some have still had issues.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 14 never had that issue much to my chagrin. Kept hoping it would break while I was under warranty so I could get a new engine for free. Have MLS do the upgrade and you should be fine. I have ridden with probably 40 Wildcats one time or another, and I only know 1 guy that had that issue. Happened while I was there, and it was shocking when we figured out what was wrong with the machine. I guess it wold come down to how much of a discount are you talking about.
machine in and of its self is not really discounted. However it comes with alot of accessories. Upgraded brakes, tires, wheels, clutching, skid plate, winch and several other things..... To many to list....Lolol. I honestly would never be able to upgrade it to the point that it is. I don't have the extra cash for all the fancy gadgets with my kids activities ect. I am not to far off from the cost of new with nothing on it. With new I would have to start fresh and work from there. Decisions decisions. Lolol

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol yeah.....OK I'm busted it is his. Was trying to be discrete.

·
Registered
531 Posts
For me the anxiety would be too much.
The 18 will have many upgrades over the 14. Rear axles and hubs, starter and cases, closed fuel loop and others.
A four year old machine even with low miles and add on's should have a very deep discount over new. Good luck whatever you decide.

Reactions: Phatcat

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For me the anxiety would be too much.
The 18 will have many upgrades over the 14. Rear axles and hubs, starter and cases, closed fuel loop and others.
A four year old machine even with low miles and add on's should have a very deep discount over new. Good luck whatever you decide.
Yeah it's almost equal between what I would pay out for his vs new out of pocket "cash" that is. Between what I would put down and accessories I would add to the new one. New one would get harnesses, harnesse bars, 30" tires, light bar, winch, I have an ac flip windshield already. Of course I would be financing more with the new ride but payment would be better and lower interest. It's hard for Tennessee I'm sure.... He has been amazing to deal with and has alot invested in his machine. It's alot of money to me and I want to make the right decision for my family to enjoy. No one else I can ask... So appreciate your replies.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh yea wife likes color right
Well here is the thing yes she loves purple, however she also loves the AC green with the black/gray combo. Part of her loves the idea of modding our own ride our own way..... Part of her likes having it all done. Good news is I am financed for whatever we want but still need to be smart in the ole budget....... Haha as if offroading and budget should ever be in the same sentence. I tend to align with her thoughts both ways. It's really her ride...... I will just shouffer her around the mountains. Nice thing with tenns is I won't have to take all the time putting all the crap on it.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol how true, you still have the red one
Nope I will be trading in the red one. I can't afford 3 damn sxs's.... Lol. Beside I can't tow both cats in my 24 V nose with my kitchenette built in the front of it. I plan to rent my cargo trailer out for people to stay at our cabins so want to keep the kitchenette.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts