11,034 Posts
HERE lS THE INSIDE STARTER AND BEVEL GEARS

·
Registered
11,034 Posts

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
HERE lS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU ARE STARTING UP YOUR WILDCAT AND IT KICKS BACK OR BACK FIRES.

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
lF lT KICKS HARD ENOUGH YOU CAN EVEN BREAK THE CASE WHERE THE BEVEL GEAR GOES

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
AND THEN lT TAKES A LITTLE WELDING

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
So that helped fix the issue but it did not "cure" it, some have failed after the starter upgrade and broke the case where the gear seats. So we strengthen one weakness and exploit another. Spend 200 making ourselves feel better only to move the problem further down the line. The new motors have more material where the gear was busting out the case. I would be curious to know how many have had this issue with any of the new "fixed" motors 2015+, attached pic below courtesy of Sand-n-Sea. New case looks to have alot more reinforcement. Any one have this issue with the newer 2015+ motors?? When I spoke with MLS they did not report making this repair on any of the machines with the updated engine case we are approaching 3 years with this improvement and so far I have not heard or read any issues with them.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
^^^I have not actually heard of an updated starter causing the damage to the case in the earlier cars. I think the case blows out when the gear fails and causes a wedging effect.^^^

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
^^^I have not actually heard of an updated starter causing the damage to the case in the earlier cars. I think the case blows out when the gear fails and causes a wedging effect.^^^
You are correct it's not the starter but the force on the gear busting the case after the upgrade. MLS had reported failures after the upgrades had been installed. I had spoke with a Dealer tech in Wisconsin when I was there visiting family and he gave the same explanation. At that time he said AC was still fixing under warranty.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
You are correct it's not the starter but the force on the gear busting the case after the upgrade. MLS had reported failures after the upgrades had been installed. I had spoke with a Dealer tech in Wisconsin when I was there visiting family and he gave the same explanation. At that time he said AC was still fixing under warranty.
I had not heard that. If I had bought an upgraded starter and busted the case because of it, I would be PISSED. The entire point of the upgraded starter was to not bust the cases. Glad I now have the later upgraded engine.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I had not heard that. If I had bought an upgraded starter and busted the case because of it, I would be PISSED. The entire point of the upgraded starter was to not bust the cases. Glad I now have the later upgraded engine.
yep I would be pissed too! He explained the starter and gear fix did not cure the underlying problem of the kick back, that force still exist and transfers to the next weak point which is the case. I would like to know how many machines that received the upgrade failed after the fact. I think chances of failure were much less.... based on the number of folks here that have been fine since the starter upgrade but for me if I had bought a used one it would be fine until the day after the darn warranty ran out and then it would happen to me for sure.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
The kickback could probably have been fixed with software to retard the spark for both starting and shutdown along with some fuel remapping. Probably way cheaper than the mechanical fix. :y:

Reactions: izom and TENNESSEE

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
LOOKlNG AT YOUR PICTURES EVEN THE NEW ONES COULD BREAK. BOTH NEEDS SIDE SUPPORTS

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
LOOKlNG AT YOUR PICTURES EVEN THE NEW ONES COULD BREAK. BOTH NEEDS SIDE SUPPORTS
I agree Tennessee, that's why I wonder if anyone has had an issue with the newer case style. And like that dealer tech said... They never fixed the underlying problem as Rockhopper explained and that tech also said
could be related to software to retard the spark for both starting and shutdown ect. Like I said we are 3 years into the new engine case ect. Time always reveals weekness but as of yet I have not heard of one failing in the same way.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Old post, but..... I had the upgraded starter pn:0825-024c and course tooth reduction gear installed in 2013.5 X. Starts became more difficult and loud and clanky lately till while out riding the starter went out. First thing we noticed was the top, long, thin screw that clamps the ends of starter housing was missing. The previous owner of this cat said the same thing happened to him, losing both screws that hold starter housing ends together. Pulled starter and found the teeth were rounded off and reduction gear had a tooth missing. Don't know if the starter torqued a little sideways with screw missing and caused the damage but I will make sure to red loctite the two thin long screws on the upgraded starter I just ordered.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thank you Awesomeoffroad.com for the new starter, gear and gasket. This is what the starter teeth should look like. BTW, old starter and gear were the upgraded setup as well. Loctite was applied to the two long, thin starter screws.. hope this new setup lasts.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just bought a 2013.5 WC4 (non-X). Does anyone know if this starter issue is only a problem with the X motor due to the higher horsepower or is this something I need to worry about also?

41 - 60 of 69 Posts