Wildcat Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you Awesomeoffroad.com for the new starter, gear and gasket. This is what the starter teeth should look like. BTW, old starter and gear were the upgraded setup as well. Loctite was applied to the two long, thin starter screws.. hope this new setup lasts.

Any news on how this has held up? I’m waiting on my third starter now coming from awesome as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Last upgraded starter lasted 2 years but long thin screws on starter came loose then top screw disappeared, eventually starter teeth stripped out. Loctite those two long screws that hold starter ends and center together. I slotted the two mounting holes on starter to push a little bit more into case to fully engage contact of reduction gear
I have the cat disassembled at this time for other mods.

Any news on how this has held up? I’m waiting on my third starter now coming from awesome as well.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
16 Posts
If I had a pre '16 still in good condition , I would have the boss around the starter gear reinforced Before it breaks. All the alignments are perfect and not a concern then. Just weld support in around the boss. Filling in an already broken one and drilling a perfect cenetered and aligned hole at the exact depth for the shaft is a bear. Not fun at all, especially with the other support for that shaft being a removed cover so no real-time alignment can be done with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2014 Wildcat 1000X back lashed when starting, breaking the gear pin housing. The fix is to find a Heli-arc welder and build up the pin hole that side the hole that the pin is inserted in. The only other options are replacing that side of the engine or replacing the motor. I am personally aware of 6 of these failures, one would think Arti-Cat would recall the 2014 Models.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 14’ X ltd, have never had any backfires or symptoms of this. But i am wary of it happening. Anybody know of a place in Canada I can get this new starter and gear? Awesome offroad doesnt ship here. I am in Vancouver, BC.

·
Administrator
28,002 Posts
I have a 14’ X ltd, have never had any backfires or symptoms of this. But i am wary of it happening. Anybody know of a place in Canada I can get this new starter and gear? Awesome offroad doesnt ship here. I am in Vancouver, BC.
Is it possible for you to get it shipped somewhere close to the border, and just cross over? I know you guys get killed with border fees but it's worth getting it, IMO. Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is an old post so not sure if you have got your answer but you can order the updated kit from your locak AC dealer. Take the # into him as they have a tuff time looking it up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Last upgraded starter lasted 2 years but long thin screws on starter came loose then top screw disappeared, eventually starter teeth stripped out. Loctite those two long screws that hold starter ends and center together. I slotted the two mounting holes on starter to push a little bit more into case to fully engage contact of reduction gear
I have the cat disassembled at this time for other mods.

Any news on how this has held up? I’m waiting on my third starter now coming from awesome as well.
[/QUOTE]
Absolutely what he said, when you buy a new starter from Cat ASSURE the hardware holding the starter together is tight and loctite it!! I have seen the problem on 3 of the 3 replacement starters I have worked with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am doing the upgrade kit on a 2013 X with only 700 miles. Do you think the one way clutch should be done at the same time? Anyone who did the 20MM sleeve on the boss that has regretted that decision? I'm thinking cheap insurance and makes a lot of sense. Doing this purely as preventative measure. Thanks in advance.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts