Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 trail.
I read through a lot of the posts on preload I can’t seem to find the answer to this question. How much is too much?
I have been working on my width.
I have 1.5” spacers all the way around.
28” tall tires. Stock aluminum wheels.
I am 52” wide rear and 52.5” wide front.
13” from ground to front frame piece where A- arms attach
12” from ground to rear skid plate
The back is hard to push down and the front has some deflection.
It feels ok riding it on the street. Haven’t had a chance to try it off-road. Corners well and little body roll.
I’m just not sure if it could be too stiff and cause something to break?
I have it aligned to approximately 1/8” toe in.
I thought about loosening the rear to get the width to match the front. I think that will lower the rear to approximately 11.5”? That should give me some deflection. I rode last year with the rear that tight with no apparent problem though. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,683 Posts
I set my preload for a comfortable ride. It really comes down to how it feels to you and what you want to do with your machine. There is no right or wrong setting. The more ground clearance you try to get, the stiffer it will ride and vice-versa. So set it for you, just make sure your spring heights are same side to side..

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I set my preload for a comfortable ride. It really comes down to how it feels to you and what you want to do with your machine. There is no right or wrong setting. The more ground clearance you try to get, the stiffer it will ride and vice-versa. So set it for you, just make sure your spring heights are same side to side..
thanks. Yep it’s set perfect side to side. I was just worried that it may be too tight and break something or not let the shock work right.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
The type of terrain you ride will be more important. you can adjust preload so high you get no suspension travel and beat yourself up or the other extreme would have it so soft you would bottom on any larger bumps, of course spring rates also are a big factor. I'm sure we have some people on here that are very knowledgeable on suspension set -up, they will tell you that spring rate, preload, shock valving, and even shock fluid viscosity are all factors. Cranking up the preload on these machines raises the ride height but also stiffens the ride, you have to make the adjustments to suit your own conditions and preferences.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Mrhammond; your results pretty much mirrored my set-up when I had a Trail.
Except I made a 2" lift for the front so I could run the springs at a softer rate to maintain ride comfort & on the rear I purchased a set of Summit springs which had more initial preload, that also allowed me to run at a softer spring rate.
I had no breakage problems at all but don't tend to pound my machines into submission as some people do :oops:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to mention I have bandit heavy springs

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
On my Trail I have the Bandit Series 46 Shocks, I have the fronts dialed in perfect but the rears I feel need to be adjusted a tad bit more to the softer ride. On these Bandits just a full turn or two makes a big change.
So I agree, it comes down to what you want in the ride, stiffer preload will not break anything other than you the rider.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts