Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying all day to loosen the primary nut so I can get my clutches shipped to Airdam. I have tried penetrating oil, and three different impact guns (650 ft/lbs of torque) and it's still not coming off. My next option is to rent a 3/4" drive impact and try again.

any other suggestions??

·
Registered
686 Posts
yep, a small propane torch, even one of the little hand held mini butane torches will work. heat the nut up a little, it'll spin right off. if you remember on my video, i tell you it has loctite on it so you gotta have a good impact. i forgot to mention or show you how to use heat on it if your impact wont get it off. just put a little heat on the nut when you start to smell a sweet smell, its the loctite melting and the nut will come off easily.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heated the nut with mapp gas torch and it still is locked on. I have an ingersol rand 1/2" impact gun at 120psi, but no luck. i will go rent a 3/4" impact tomorrow and give it another shot. I nut on the secondary came right off without a problem..

·
Registered
686 Posts
wut? insane!! an IR 1/2" drive impact should have plenty of ACE to bust that nut. using map gas should have got it plenty hot and wet too. dunno maybe you need to put some hair around that hole to make sure you hittin it right. but then again you go hittin it with a 3/4" impact and you definitely gonna bust dat nut good!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Try a breaker bar, I had one I couldn't get off so we got it off :}

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
IF BY THE PRIMARY NUT YOU MEAN THE WET CLUTCH NUT THAT IS A LEFT HAND THREAD, AS IN LEFTY TIGHTY RIGHTY LOOSY...if you've been mashing it the wrong way I feel sorry for those threads.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I thought one of the clutch nuts was reverse thread on my Prowler. Can't remember for sure........

·
Registered
686 Posts
the primary and secondary are both regular threads, lefty loosey
the inner wet clutch basket nut is a left hand thread, meaning lefty tightey.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you watch Airdam / Adam's video he mentions the thread direction for all bolts removed and if I remember correctly only one is reverse thread.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was definately turning it to the left, but thanks for the vote of mechanical know how...

Reactions: arkwildcat

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Haha it wasn't a dis at your mechanical know how or anything, shit happens and impacts get reversed on accident and such. Is the problem the primary is turning with the nut?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I was definately turning it to the left, but thanks for the vote of mechanical know how...
If you were turning the wet clutch to the left then that tightens it.
If you are talking about the belt primary then yes, left. Baffles me that that nut would be so difficult a IR 1/2" impact couldn't break it loose. That's why I was wondering if you were talking about the clutch nut.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I am thinking about the wet clutch nut, which he talks about being a pain and is a reverse thread. The primary belt clutch is regular threads and in the video he just uses what looks like a battery powered impact to get it off. Most of those types of impacts only have 200-300 ft.lbs. of torque and he got it off no problem. If that's the nut you're having trouble with then there's definitely a problem.

·
Registered
986 Posts
400 degrees to melt red loctite. They used Loctite and impacts all over this machine. I haven't had a bolt out yet (I have had a lot out already) that didn't have loctite on it. More heat.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts