Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any problems after welding their SLD. I realize a SLD delete kit would be the best solution, but it is a little more costly. I was told one could pin the SLD, but I'm not sure that it would be better than welding. I put 31's on my ride and heard that loud metal gear popping sound on my third trip to the trails. So I'm just trying to weigh the solutions. Any been there done that information is welcome.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Several of us have welded our SLD's with no problem on that part. Just remember doing this or buying the delete kit will move the load elsewhere (Gears or axles). But still very few have had a problem because of welding or buying the delete.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I welded mine up after the first ride out. I slipped it on a nasty bank and after that it would barely hold without popping. ive put about 1200 miles on it since being welded up. I broke one driveshaft after welding it but that was from playing on a straight up and down hill.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Yep, I busted the 'early drive' shaft after welding my SLD but now have the 'late model' drive shaft and it's holding up ok. (of course I get more and more careful with the right foot on every trip)

I recently installed a 'late mode' diff with the 'much tighter SLD' ... I have high hopes it will only pop when really necessary. Going to test in Moab next week...:p

Reactions: bloomfield mudnut

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Yep, I busted the 'early drive' shaft after welding my SLD but now have the 'late model' drive shaft and it's holding up ok. (of course I get more and more careful with the right foot on every trip)

I recently installed a 'late mode' diff with the 'much tighter SLD' ... I have high hopes it will only pop when really necessary. Going to test in Moab next week...:p
Good luck with that. Mine lasted a while but I wasted the new style too

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Are there any write-ups on the forum about how to weld one up? That's my next mod.
Pull it out and grind three grooves in it like in this pic and then fill those grooves back in. Some people only do 2 grooves opposite each other but I recommend sectioning it off into thirds because the whole idea is to prevent deflection of the discs.

SLD grooves.jpg

SLD welded.jpg

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
When grinding the grooves and welding it up,,,how important is it to "TRY" and maintain equal cuts and welds on all three grooves for balance purposes?

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
When grinding the grooves and welding it up,,,how important is it to "TRY" and maintain equal cuts and welds on all three grooves for balance purposes?
Not overly important, it can't move hardly any and the most it will ever see is 2900 rpm. I wouldn't get overly sloppy with anything, easy enough to make the cuts equidistant and the beads similar, but we are talking a small diameter object at low rpm so it isn't going to generate massive inertia if it is off a few grams or ounces.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
^^^ OK, thanx. I'll save this thread so when the inevitable pop pop pop happens I'll know what to do. I like the pics. That helps more than a thousand words!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Does anyone know the best place to get the kit?

Is the SLD the clutch cartridge or the clutch basket? One is like 600 the other is about 70.

I believe I heard the pop when driving it. The situation it happened in I don't blame the cat at all.

·
Registered
332 Posts

Is the SLD the clutch cartridge or the clutch basket? One is like 600 the other is about 70.

I believe I heard the pop when driving it. The situation it happened in I don't blame the cat at all.
Wildcat Willy has a kit. Something like $225. The SLD almost killed me when it started slipping. Get rid or weld that junk SLD>

·
Registered
5,388 Posts

Its a muzzy part. Pretty sure MLS sells muzzy if not D&P would be next choice. Delete is about 200 bucks I think

1 - 20 of 30 Posts