Wildcat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Mowers, farm tractors, feed mill & rock crusher engines, & dozers run paper filters with excellent results. I like the canister type with a pre-cleaner, dust ejector, and primary and secondary elements. The secondary element usually stays clean, and it prevents any stray dust getting to the engine when cleaning/replacing the primary.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Donaldson and others make universal severe duty air filter units in various sizes for various operating conditions. One of those units mounted up high might work very well on a Cat. You'd still need a seperate crankcase breather filter of some sort. You would not want any oil mist getting near a dry type filter.

·
Administrator
27,493 Posts
Ask Jbl what we found in his!

·
Registered
954 Posts
I've purchased and will be installing a Donaldson next week. It was evident at Glamis that my cat was lagging, so I pulled the seats and firewall to get to the Evo installed Canister Filter and removed it. Amazing amount of sand and dust came out. My poor Ninja Kitty couldn't breathe. A few cats at Glamis were running the Donaldson and after talking with some owners and doing some research i decided to go that way; easy access and superior filtration. Should be a pretty easy install. I'll post a small write-up w/pics.
donaldson.jpg

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I like the idea of the different airbox! I would juts hate to have a warranty issue and not be able to swap in my regular filter as opposed to having a whole different box.

Since running my R2C, the Cat has been a monster. I also installed a full Muzzy exhaust and tuner, and I assume the filters additional air flow capability only helps. I beat up bad on my friends similarly modded XP900, and a tuned 900S.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You probably need an oversize pipe with smooth ID from the canister filter to the engine intake. There might be an opportunity to tune the intake for torque or higher end power at the engine end by messing with pipe ID or adding some kind of resonater box or can...

·
Registered
954 Posts
The Donaldson I bought has a 2.5" in/out and flows (clean) over 180 cfm. That shouldn't hold me back. I believe that's the same unit MCX supplies with their WC Turbo kit (anyone?). I'll run a straight 18" of 2.5" pipe to the intake, so little restriction there. Of course being in front of the turbo, I don't think the particulars of air velocity have the same importance as with a normally aspirated engine.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Since running my R2C, the Cat has been a monster. I also installed a full Muzzy exhaust and tuner, and I assume the filters additional air flow capability only helps. I beat up bad on my friends similarly modded XP900, and a tuned 900S.
Thanks for the review. I also have a full exhaust and fuel controller, both seemed to wake the machine up quite a bit. I believe I'll buy one of these filters and try it out. I do like the idea of not having to clean and oil a filter constantly.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I purchased one last weekend and hope to try it out in the sand box this weekend. If fit snug and I also put a k&n outerware on it. My old rzr ran the paper filter and with an outerware I never had an issue with dust. I have heard the rzr guys have had great luck with these so I'm hoping for the same results. I got mine from rmatvmc.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I purchased one last weekend and hope to try it out in the sand box this weekend. If fit snug and I also put a k&n outerware on it. My old rzr ran the paper filter and with an outerware I never had an issue with dust. I have heard the rzr guys have had great luck with these so I'm hoping for the same results. I got mine from rmatvmc.
It shouldn't need the outerwear.

·
Registered
232 Posts
WhiteX is correct, it shouldn't need the Outerwear. I emailed R2C asking if they suggested running the Outerwear on the filter and they said it was not necessary, also mentioned something about it not allowing enough air velocity through the filter.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Received my filter the other day and got it installed this weekend. Will try to post results after the weather breaks and I get a ride under my belt. Also installed my Dalton clutch kit. Will be nice to see the end results of the clutch kit as well.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've purchased and will be installing a Donaldson next week. It was evident at Glamis that my cat was lagging, so I pulled the seats and firewall to get to the Evo installed Canister Filter and removed it. Amazing amount of sand and dust came out. My poor Ninja Kitty couldn't breathe. A few cats at Glamis were running the Donaldson and after talking with some owners and doing some research i decided to go that way; easy access and superior filtration. Should be a pretty easy install. I'll post a small write-up w/pics.
View attachment 80666
I'm running a trail and thinking about doing the same thing I find the foam/oil filter just attracts more dust, are you running a snorkel too? That's the other thing I was thinking about installing to bring in cleaner air from higher up.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I'm running a trail and thinking about doing the same thing I find the foam/oil filter just attracts more dust, are you running a snorkel too? That's the other thing I was thinking about installing to bring in cleaner air from higher up.
If you find a canadian source for a Donaldson set up let me know. I was digging around the other day and couldnt find anything on this side of the border.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Check ebay/etc for "Donaldson G065411" or "Donaldson G065433". Those are the 2.5" in/out. They are the same filter, but the G065411 comes with a safety filter (P822769) that sits inside the primary one (P822768). Both can use 1 or 2 filters.
I believe the filtration with JUST the primary element is already exceptional.
donaldson2.jpg

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Check ebay/etc for "Donaldson G065411" or "Donaldson G065433". Those are the 2.5" in/out. They are the same filter, but the G065411 comes with a safety filter (P822769) that sits inside the primary one (P822768). Both can use 1 or 2 filters.
I believe the filtration with JUST the primary element is already exceptional.
View attachment 83058
There's no doubt that Donaldson makes a great setup. I think the issue comes when you're dealing with people who don't want to/have the ability to install an entire new air box and route everything properly. The R2C filter makes for a great stock replacement where no additional work is necessary.

And that particular model may be on the big side for a naturally aspirated Cat. At 7800rpms (with a 0.8 volumetric efficiency) the Cat engine flows about 110CFM. The Donaldson style box requires substantial intake velocity to function properly, so it may be too large of a box to work properly (It's operating range is 110CFM-145CFM).

·
Registered
954 Posts
I agree. AC just didn't throw any old filter system on; lots of R&D for sure. And a superior replacement element is a no-brainer. The Donaldson is a very good alternative.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I was looking at an Fleetguard Optiair 600, same style as donaldson but was kind of unsure of the cfm i need to flow. The 600 series has the 3" inlet/outlet which is what made me look at that one but im sure the 500 series with the 2.5" will work. I see utv inc makes a metal unit that mimicks the donaldson set up and even uses the same filters. Twice the price of a Donaldson though and twice the price of the vent racing model that uses a donaldson.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts