Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to glamis and I promised to post it like it is. So here it is!

First night I was there, we got in around 11pm we went for a ride. My buddy magically went right to Olds. We didn't even stop. Looked at each other and just went up. I led him halfway up the hill as has been posted and he did pass me and beat me by 3 lengths. Felt like it wasn't quite backshifting properly and it was on Adam's list to be fixed. Other than that I had a hell of a time even only riding for 2 hours.

Next day I called Dirtydawg as I had promised to take him for a ride(he never came through with the beer though!) We picked him and his sister up and I started what is for me a normal ride lol. He thinks I am nuts but meh. Had an outstanding time in the big and small stuff. I did manage to bottom out my suspension twice but I didn't adjust it either. I left it at the same setting I was using for desert riding as a test. I had planned on turning it up for Sunday. Zane was spending so much time doing really technical stuff I never got to just rip a huge bowl! Bastard.

So far the cat was shining. I was a very happy little rabbit. Then we went for another ride. Then the ugly happened. Yes it was my crank that broke.

We were doing very slow riding. We had 2 people with us without paddles. It was between 10 and 20mph slow. I went to turn around at about 5mph and there she went. We figure that was just the straw. My motor is already torn apart. There is 0 debris in the motor. She is clean. The crankshaft stripped off the splines completely though. We have no clue how this happened. If you have any questions please just ask, doesn't bother me one bit.

The 9 skats did fine. Never once felt I couldn't pull them. Zane in his xp kept trying to get me stuck in wierd situations to see if I could make it out lol. I wish I had another day before it happened to much time wasted. I did keep riding on a 700 raptor until my arms couldn't really hold the bars anymore! Damn sand was wet.

Overall I still had a good time. I pouted for a few hours but Zane made sure I had a good trip. Friends like that are hard to come by. I really didn't want to post anything until I had all the facts about the crank, but it is what it is. I did manage 60 mph on the whoops near the tracks, lol xp couldnt keep up:(

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oddly I am not really upset. I can say I am very glad I got my bike from Tom at this point lol. Shit happens, I am alive. Metal can be fixed. I'll take this anyday of the week. I get to ride again.

·
Registered
986 Posts
If only it were that easy Catman. Sorry about the crap rabbit, I've been through some SHIT with mine too already, sure was a F***ing blast though. I'm all prepped up for another weekend. Guess I am going to find out if you had a soft crank one off, or if the lack of a wet clutch is too much torque for the splines???? I'm praying it was a one off. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Splines stripped on the crankshaft itself. Not sure if the wcd had anything to do with it, or if the crank was weak. I would rather not speculate until we get a bit more info, just isn't right. On that note I was the only cat that climbed olds that weekend haha.

·
Registered
415 Posts
think it had something to do with delete shaft ? maybe to harsh on crank with out wet clutch being able to slip

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can guess at a hundred things, already did that. Now I just want to know how it happened and how to fix it. The wcd is way to much fun.

·
Registered
42 Posts
if it was the WCD that caused the problem wouldnt this of been seen on the prowlers? Anyone ever heard of it happening on the prowler with a wcd? Maybe just a fluke thing?

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I can see I will be looking into creating a delete setup for this, as I suspected. No offense against Adam or what he has done but I never did like the method he is using to arrive at the wet clutch deletion.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No in all the ones he has done I am the only one. Rabbits have to be special you know. He even did a 2k lb prowler with 144 hp at the tires and not a single issue. WTF do I have to be special haha.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
sorry to hear about your engine. how depresssing.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It will all get sorted I am sure of that. When I was riding the raptor I wanted to cry I missed the suspension so bad. I took a gout way to fast and ripped some skin off my knee and my first thought was my damn cat would have sailed right over that!

·
Registered
986 Posts
if it was the WCD that caused the problem wouldnt this of been seen on the prowlers? Anyone ever heard of it happening on the prowler with a wcd? Maybe just a fluke thing?
That is the million dollar question sir, if in fact this crank is the exact same as a Prowler (there is no reason for it not to be), then this would have been heard of and brought up before now, in regards to Airdam's WCD, so to me, I think weak crank, fluke occurence (that's what I'm hoping).

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
You have a great attitude, Rabbit. I like your style. All this information is good for all if us. It's really great to be able to trouble-shoot these machines in mass, thanks to this forum. After several months, I feel confident in the feedback as it seems I know each of you personally. Judging by the Copper comment, I will assume at this point that you are 'covered'. I am most happy about that. I sure wish I had an opportunity to know some of the good dealers on this site before I bought locally. Getter fixed JR and see you in the dunes!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sorry to hear about your ride.I just installed my wcd today and after I hear of your crank issue I was curios as to which spline striped was out the end of the crank where the wet clutch slides on. And you are right wcd changes everything. Great job airdam your set up is huge huge improvement

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
No in all the ones he has done I am the only one. Rabbits have to be special you know. He even did a 2k lb prowler with 144 hp at the tires and not a single issue. WTF do I have to be special haha.
Then I dunno what to say, why this happened on yours then. I still would rather see the components bolted solidly to the crank with that rather large nut like the original is. I am sure there is another way to do this without giving up the strength of attachment to the crank.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts