Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just purchased this wildcat x and when I have the dirt tires on hard ground no sound but when I put the paddles on and let off the gas I get a racket sound mostly on packed ground.

·
Administrator
27,475 Posts
You're not supposed to run paddles anywhere but sand. Hard pack ground, pavement, cement will eventually round the edges, chunk them, or rip the paddles off. The sound you're hearing is the paddles making contact with the ground.

·
Administrator
27,475 Posts
Oh, and Welcome Bob6973. I always recommend harnesses and a harness bar to all members.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hollywood, You told the last thread I read about paddle tires that there only for sand. we know that been dunning for years but every camp ground and road to the dunes is packed ground.

·
Administrator
27,475 Posts
Hollywood, You told the last thread I read about paddle tires that there only for sand. we know that been dunning for years but every camp ground and road to the dunes is packed ground.
OK, well if it's hard pack as you state, go as slow as you can. The thumping might drive you crazy, but you want to try and keep the edges on your paddles as sharp as possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also know the sound, it's not the paddles, it's a mechanical sound that goes away when I switch to 4wd. I still have not figured it out. Eny one else have an idea? Sounds like a bag of marbles

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If the sound is synchronized to the paddles hitting the hard-pack, I would take a look at the pivots on the front end of the trailing arms. There is a lot of stuff there that can loosen up. When the paddles jolt the machine, those parts could be rattling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My sound is deffinatly coming from the rear of the machine and sounds like a roller coaster chain racheting but only when I let off the throttle.
I just changed the belt, rear wheel bearings and did the spring thing on the breaks... still making the sound :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everything seams pretty tight but it has be baffled, push on the gas and nothing once I let off clicky click click :(

·
Administrator
27,475 Posts
Everything seams pretty tight but it has be baffled, push on the gas and nothing once I let off clicky click click :(
How are your CVs? When a CV is going is starts to click.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Could this be the infamous brake pad rattle?

I was reminded of this last Sunday, when I rebuilt a brake caliper after an axle break, I forgot to re-insert the spring fix many of us did between the pads. And guess what, the mechanical rattle has come back of course.

Anyone have some of the Century Springs laying around (71741S) I have a balance in my Paypal or Venmo account if you care to sell 1-2!

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
A bit of a tangent, but... Adding those springs is a clever and cheap way to fix the problem, but now the first bit of brake pedal travel is spent compressing the springs, so your pedal gets a little longer. A residual pressure valve will keep a couple of psi in the brake line. That keeps the pad from chattering and also keeps the caliper piston up against the pad. $15 to $20.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hollywood, do the CV's click all the time or just when you let off the gas? I have done the break pad spring but that would make noise all the time even when your on the gas. the strangest thing is it only clicks on deceleration.

·
Administrator
27,475 Posts
Hollywood, do the CV's click all the time or just when you let off the gas? I have done the break pad spring but that would make noise all the time even when your on the gas. the strangest thing is it only clicks on deceleration.
They click all the time, but you can usually only hear them when you're off the gas, as the motor sound drowns them out.

Easiest check is pretty simple. Jack the car up, turn the tire. If it clicks, it's your CVs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will try that next time, but sounds more like the clutch engaging and disengaging really fast?
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Relax. On hard ground, the paddles make the CV joints rattle like JBL's car. It happens to me everytime I ride at the Oregon Dunes. Speed up or hit the sand and it goes away. Just something you have to get used to. I remember the first time this happened with my new paddles and I thought the rear end was blowing apart!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts